3OTT to 3OTF 2.77 conversion

Moderator: Mod Squad

62Cometman

3OTT to 3OTF 2.77 conversion

Post #1 by 62Cometman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Well after not finding much info through the ol' search function I've decided to ask the magic genies of the forumn.

I was fortunate to come across a very lightly used Mr.Gasket 7667 universal 3 speed floor shifter that the owner was willing to give me, score!

I'd like to put this unit on my comet and have mocked up what I think would be a workable setup while I had the tranny out for a rebuild. However before I start hacking up my floors I didn't know if anyone here has used this unit with the 2.77 Trans and where you mounted it and or if it will even work with a bench seat any and all info is very welcome.

Thanks, Darrian.
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, Dagenham Trans, 2.83:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)

xctasy
VIP Member

Re: 3OTT to 3OTF 2.77 conversion

Post #2 by xctasy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:45 am

You seen this Darrian?

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=74420
bubba22349 wrote::hmmm: Here is some pictures of a 1965 Mustang 2.77 trans (C4 case) with the stock floor shifter that I have sitting in my shop.

1. Image

2. Image

Start With the shift rods loosened up on both of the shifter arm studs (see below picture). Then looking at that picture of the shifting linkage find the alingment pin hole (just below shifters spring loaded privet pin). When the adjustment is correct and assuming no excessively worn parts (i.e. Shift arms and rod ends) you should be able to easily slide about a 1/4 inch pin (I forgot to measure the hole size though), the correct size Rod, or drill bit etc. will just slide through that hole and this will correctly aline both the 2nd & 3rd shift arm to the 1st and Reverse shift arm with each other and the shifters neutral gate. Now make sure that the transmission is also exactly in neutral position for both sets of gears in 2nd & 3rd and 1st and Reverse (for reference Check the other two pictures above of the trans as its in the Neutral position) next you can now tighten back up the two studs on the shifter arms and your all done.

Now for your basic clutch adjustment you will want at least 1 1/2 inches of free travel from the top as you begin stepping on the clutch pedal and before you feel the throwout bearing spinning as it starts touching the pressure plate fingers. That should be close enough on its adjustment just so you could drive it. Good luck :nod:
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

62Cometman

Re: 3OTT to 3OTF 2.77 conversion

Post #3 by 62Cometman » Sat May 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks for the respond,
I was under the impression that the mustang setup sits to far back to work with our bench seat round fender falcons/comets?
The kit i was looking at using bolts up to where the tailshaft housing attaches and shifter would com through the floor just behind where the speedo cable goes into the tranmission just slightly forward of the bench seat by maybe 2" or so with the seat fully adjusted back.

I have in the mean time put the car back together in the original 3OTT configuration mainly due to ease of operation ATM and the number of comments I receive on how cool it is to still see a 3OTT or people explaining how they work to their kids or partners. Im thinking i might just hold off with a floor shift until the car gets a 250 with a T-5 and possible buckets :)
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, Dagenham Trans, 2.83:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)