Freakin' Fairlane's Fordomatic won't upshift !!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Ragman069

Freakin' Fairlane's Fordomatic won't upshift !!

Post #1 by Ragman069 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:56 pm

IMG_0033.JPG

Now that I got the '62 Fairlane's 170 ci engine running decently( thanks to assistance from this site), I decided to try and drive it on the road. It had good, strong acceleration at part throttle, but it stayed in low gear. So I took it up to 45 mph with the 3.20 rear gear, but no upshift. Reverse and low engage immediately, so I don't believe it's a fluid issue. It is at the proper level and does not appear to be burnt or dirty. It has a strong vacuum signal to the modulator . I'm not sure how to test the vacuum modulator, but usually if they fail, they suck fluid into the intake, and it is burned and causes quite a bit of smoke. The kick down lever is resting against a boss on the tranny case. I'm not sure where this should be positioned at non WOT conditions. I've read that if this is stuck or not positioned properly, the tranny won't upshift.
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG

Does anybody know if it looks right?
I also added a can of Seafoam Trans Tune in case anything internal is stuck due to the length of time that the car has been sitting.
Any help, suggestions , or insight will be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Freakin' Fairlane's Fordomatic won't upshift !!

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:49 pm

:hmmm: it looks like the throttle kick down lever is installed wrong from what I remember it should be hanging down about 180 degrees from were it is. Dose it move any when stepping down on the gas pedel? Here is a link that shows factory repair manual for a Falcon not exact for a Fairlane but should be semular enough on the linkage adjustments (see below link). Good luck :nod:

Most everything you would need to know about the Ford O Matic
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=6-001
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Ragman069

Post #3 by Ragman069 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 pm

IMG_0038.JPG

I came across that earlier today trying to find a diagram. I don't think the car has the proper lever for the model tranny. My ID TAG says PCM , and the diagram shows a different style lever.
My car seems to be missing the linkage from the carb to the kick down linkage. It just has a spring .
IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:13 pm

:hmmm: I think I would try unbolting the throdle pressure lever and changing it so it's pointing towards the radiator. Here is also a link on a 1962 Fairlane it's a little hard to see but it looks to have all the stock Ford O Matic linkage on it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JX5WzyHpX9k

Good luck :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Ragman069

Post #5 by Ragman069 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks
I can definitely see that my car is missing the rod from the throttle linkage to the kick down linkage.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:56 am

Maybe that lower Rod is hooked up correctly its hard to tell, if you pull that linkage at the firewall as it would if it was connected to the carb dose it move easy? That Shouldn't be too hard to find or make a straight Rod to hook it up to the carb linkage. The linkage dose need to be installed and adjusted properly for the trans to shift correctly or it can eventually cause damage to the trans. Good luck :nod:

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #7 by B RON CO » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi, as mentioned, try to activate the kickdown by hand, engine off. also unhook it, and get it go the other way and see if it shifts (it may be holding it in low). You can drive it with no kickdown for now, it will only down shift at a stop. But you could down shift with the shifter. Also try to shift the shifter manually when driving. Some older cars have different shift patterns. When you are in drive, the next click up should be neutral. On my 66 Mustang C4 the pattern is P R N D (only 2nd and 3rd D ( all gears) and L. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #8 by ludwig » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:36 pm

IDK if the Fairlane's tranny is the same as the Mustang, but it could be that the **shift lever** itself is not adjusted correctly. The floor shifter has to be set at one extreme and then at another extreme. Two bolts hold the T-lever in place under the floor. You push it all the way to park so it seats. Then pull to low. If it does not throw it into low, you loosen the bolts and re-tighten closer to the park notch and seat it in low. If it doesn't go into park now, you have to split the difference by trial and error. One or two adjustments will do it.

The kickdown lever is inside the engine compartment, connects to the z-bar linkage. You set this one by hand so it trips the lever at the top of the transmission by either tightening or loosening the cable. Usually in drive with the engine off, you pull the cable until it is tight with the lever fully engaged in the forward position. Then let the cable out slowly until the lever is in the resting position and tighten the clamp on the rod/lever/activator for no slack, but no tension.

Seems to me, I don't know for sure, that the kick down is a transmission modulator override that raises or lowers the shift point until engine speed catches up with wheel speed/torque. Having said that, your transmission modulator may be faulty.

This is all my experience from the 1966 Mustang. It took some fiddling after the trans was rebuilt and I reinstalled it. But it all came out right in the end.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #9 by ludwig » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 pm

This is the kick down lever on the Mustang z-bar throttle linkage:Image

Where it is connected, right next to the master cylinder on the firewall:Image

You appear to have some kind of bell-crank thingy that is actuated somewhere else. Seems to me that you are missing the stick that hangs down from the z-bar. Of course, it might be connected on the other side of the block, but I don't think so, looking at the pics from the manual. Have somebody push on it while you watch. If nothing moves, it needs to be either tightened somewhere or connected somehow.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #10 by ludwig » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:54 pm

This is what you are or should be looking for. The arrow shows the kick down lever anchor with threaded shaft. I got this from the internet; googled "'63 Comet kick down lever." So it WAS something on the other side of the block. Of course, this is for a V.8, not a six. But it comes close to what is shown in your manual.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #11 by bubba22349 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:45 pm

:shock: yes but his 62 Fairlane has the stock 2 speed Ford O Matic not the C4. :thumbup: :nod:

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #12 by ludwig » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 am

True dat. But I'm not seeing a kick down lever attached on the passenger side. (Also none on the driver side either.)

Actually, I think the throttle lever at the carb might be upside down. Moreover, there is a spring connected to where the kick down ROD is supposed to go through and run up to the throttle.