Two piece drive shaft binding at joint

Moderator: Mod Squad

brandoncw

Two piece drive shaft binding at joint

Post #1 by brandoncw » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:46 am

The shaft binds up at takeoff and when it does it smacks the front gas tank hard. (Its not in use so theres never any gas in it). It has a new carrier bearing/bushing and a brand spanking new transmission mount as of yesterday. Should i just have a one piece made?

brandoncw

Re: Two piece drive shaft binding at joint

Post #2 by brandoncw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm

ok so I figured out why it was clunking bashing on the gas tank. You know the brand new 3 day old transmission mount I put on it?? yeah its in two pieces. :evil: I swear, the cheap Chinese made junk they send us is making me want to do this... :bang: I am still going to put in a solid shaft to hopefully eliminate the issue completely but damn that just makes me mad.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Is your truck lifted? How is the condistion of that u joint? Does the front yoke slide easy on the front drive shaft? Have you checked the driveshaft angles? The two piece drive shaft is usally the better way to go on a longer wheel base truck better still might be a couple constant velocity joints. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brandoncw

Post #4 by brandoncw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 pm

bubba22349 wrote:Is your truck lifted? How is the condistion of that u joint? Does the front yoke slide easy on the front drive shaft? Have you checked the driveshaft angles? The two piece drive shaft is usally the better way to go on a longer wheel base truck better still might be a couple constant velocity joints. Good luck :nod:

The truck is not lifted, the u-joint is new as of 5k miles ago and still solid, the splines are in good shape and well greased and slide easily, and the shaft is pretty damn straight. I think the problem lies in the short shaft and the position of the carrier. At a low speed the drive shaft doesn't have enough centrifugal force to keep it in line and tries to flex, since to make the shaft work I had to shorten the shaft about a foot in between the carrier and the tail shaft giving the joint more leverage on the trans and rip the mount. If I eliminate the joint, I eliminate the issue. This is just a theory though. A constant velocity may work but they are a pain in the *** to change u-joints in.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

brandoncw wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:Is your truck lifted? How is the condistion of that u joint? Does the front yoke slide easy on the front drive shaft? Have you checked the driveshaft angles? The two piece drive shaft is usally the better way to go on a longer wheel base truck better still might be a couple constant velocity joints. Good luck :nod:

The truck is not lifted, the u-joint is new as of 5k miles ago and still solid, the splines are in good shape and well greased and slide easily, and the shaft is pretty damn straight. I think the problem lies in the short shaft and the position of the carrier. At a low speed the drive shaft doesn't have enough centrifugal force to keep it in line and tries to flex, since to make the shaft work I had to shorten the shaft about a foot in between the carrier and the tail shaft giving the joint more leverage on the trans and rip the mount. If I eliminate the joint, I eliminate the issue. This is just a theory though. A constant velocity may work but they are a pain in the *** to change u-joints in.

:hmmm: if you had to shorten the front shaft a foot then the mount and drive shaft working Angles for the rear shaft is probably wrong you might try lowering the front shafts mounting position to get the angle closer to what it needs to be. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brandoncw

Post #6 by brandoncw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm

bubba22349 wrote:
brandoncw wrote:

:hmmm: if you had to shorten the front shaft a foot then the mount and drive shaft working Angles for the rear shaft is probably wrong you might try lowering the front shafts mounting position to get the angle closer to what it needs to be. Good luck :nod:

I cant really lower the trans to put back in a perfectly stock angle and i cant raise the carrier either. After i get the new mount put back in tonight i post a few pics of the shaft angles. There are no extreme angles though and they are rather straight so i dont see it being a problem. But i will let a few gray hairs and keen eyes take a look to try and figure it out. Thanks :nod:

brandoncw

Post #7 by brandoncw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm

OK so i think i may have figured it out. The passenger motor mount was in less than perfect condition letting the whole rear of the transmission to shift to the passenger side when under load from a start, maybe i can fib a little and say my brand new drivers side mount was defective, and get another since they are the same for both sides, but i probably wont lol