Seized throw out bearing

Moderator: Mod Squad

65 Mustang

Seized throw out bearing

Post #1 by 65 Mustang » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1972 3.03 Ford transmission that I'm looking to install in my mustang. The flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc are all currently at a shop being rebuilt. I have a brand new throw out bearing assembly to install. My problem is that the old throw out bearing assembly seems to be seized to the input shaft of the transmission. Pushing the clutch fork did not move it. I removed the clutch fork and tried to push it out but it wouldn't move. The transmission has been sitting around for many years exposed to the elements. Is is possible the throw out bearing assembly rusted onto the input shaft? If so, any suggestions for removing the assembly without doing any damage to the input shaft? Thanks so much.

rocklord

Re: Seized throw out bearing

Post #2 by rocklord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 am

Yes, it is possible for the TO bearing to rust to the input shaft.

Is it possible to remove the input shaft housing from the transmission with the TO bearing still attached?
If so, remove the input shaft, wire brush the rust from the shaft, soak the TO bearing with a rust penetrant, and try to remove it from the shaft.
You may be able to use a gear puller on the TO bearing if it's close enough to the end.

If that fails, use a cutoff wheel to remove the outside portion of the TO bearing, then use the cutoff wheel, or a dremel tool, to carefully cut
the inner portion. You may want to cut the inner portion in two places just short of cutting through, then use a chisel to split open.

Other than that, either find a replacement input shaft housing, or a complete 3.03 transmission.

Let us know how it comes out.
Dan

Currently Own
1965 Mustang, 200CID, 3Spd
1964 Corvair Coupe, 164CID, 140HP, 4Spd
1961 Corvair Lakewood wagon, 145CID, 80HP, 2Spd Powerglide Auto.
2017 BMW X3, 3.0L Dual Turbo, 300HP, 8-Spd Auto

65 Mustang

Post #3 by 65 Mustang » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi. Thanks Dan for detailed reply. Appreciate it. I will first try to soak everything in penetrating oil and see how that goes. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

65 Mustang

Post #4 by 65 Mustang » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 am

So I got back in the garage today to try and remove the throw out bearing assembly. Was planning to apply heat to it to see if I could loosen it. Before that, though, I thought to give the bracket behind the bearing (where the clutch fork attaches) a few light taps with a ball peen hammer. To my delight, this worked and the assembly got loose and eventually came off.

Does anyone know where I can get gaskets for this transmission? I need one that goes under the nine bolt cover plate. Also, I need one that goes between the front of the transmission and the bellhousing. Thanks.

lahti35

Post #5 by lahti35 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:47 am

65 Mustang wrote:So I got back in the garage today to try and remove the throw out bearing assembly. Was planning to apply heat to it to see if I could loosen it. Before that, though, I thought to give the bracket behind the bearing (where the clutch fork attaches) a few light taps with a ball peen hammer. To my delight, this worked and the assembly got loose and eventually came off.

Does anyone know where I can get gaskets for this transmission? I need one that goes under the nine bolt cover plate. Also, I need one that goes between the front of the transmission and the bellhousing. Thanks.

Gasket kits are available for the 3.03 top loader transmissions. I see them on ebay a lot... or buy a roll of paper at the auto parts store and make your own if you just need one or two and not a whole kit.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #6 by B RON CO » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi, the side cover can be eliminated and sealed with silicone. I don't remember a gasket between the tranny and the bell housing. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

65 Mustang

Post #7 by 65 Mustang » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Oh ok. It wasn't clear to me if there even was a gasket between the tranny and bellhousing. As I was cleaning it up, it sort of looked like there used to be one that was there. I have searched on line and eBay for gaskets. The only one I was finding was for the four speed which has the 10 bolt pattern. My 3.03 is a three speed with 9 bolts. I'll probably take your advice and make my own. More fun that way. Thanks for info.