Reviving, the old girl

Moderator: Mod Squad

F6 lathead

Reviving, the old girl

Post #1 by F6 lathead » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 pm

hello, just getting ready to try to start a 67 F100 with a 300 six that has not been started for about 17 years. I wanted to get some direction on what to do, check, or watch for prior to, during and after I have the motor started. The truck ran when Dad parked it, he had taken the alternator off and then he passed. I have since replaced the alternator. I have also checked the fuel tank which is bone dry. The oil is up to level but is dirty. I have got the brakes back working with out the wheel cylinders leaking so far. This truck is bone stock with any modifications. Thanks for any input

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Reviving, the old girl

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:26 pm

For a first step drain out the old oil, replace the oil filter, and install some fresh oil. Remove all the spark plugs and squirt some oil in each cyclinder let it set a little then do it again. Next after a week or two try turning the crankshaft with a socket wrench to see if the engine will move free. During the time your waiting check out the fuild levels in the trans, rear axle, brakes, etc or you can also drain them and replace with fresh fluids too. Lube all the chassis greese fittings. Flushing out the cooling system is also a good idea. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

F6 lathead

Post #3 by F6 lathead » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:11 am

hey got her started after chasing down a fuel problem, the only oil smoke I see so far, I am assuming, was at initial start up from the oil being poured down the spark plug holes. the motor runs smooth and quiet, I anticipate having to rebuild the carb as it just now started to leak a drop of fuel every now and then or maybe the gaskets will swell up. I figure the brakes are next to try and bleed and see how the wheel cylinders hold up to pressure. Thanks again

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Congrats :beer: on getting it running! :thumbup: yes you are correct about the smoke it should clear up with a little more running. Yes somtimes carb will seal up again though it's probally a great idea to clean it up good and install a fresh carb kit in it. Good luck shouldn't be very long until you have it back on the road. :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

F6 lathead

Post #5 by F6 lathead » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks Bubba for the advice, I will be flushing the cooling system soon along with replacing about 12 feet of ancient heater hose. Never seen a trans cooling system quite like this one before. A question I had was concerning an auxiliary trans cooling system, 1) would that be replacing the current water cooled system or in addition to it? and 2) if not where would you tap into the trans fluid system to run a more conventional cooling system? Thanks for the sage advice

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 pm

I usally run a auxiliary trans cooler in series with the stock radiators cooler. This is as long as the stock cooler is still functioning correctly i.e. It's not leaking the radiators coolant into the trans lines. Good luck :nod:

F6 lathead

Post #7 by F6 lathead » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:48 pm

Well its been awhile since my last post and have only put about 200 miles on the truck since reviving it. I did a trans service and adjusted the brakes. The transmissions seems to be coming back to life little by little. I now have kick down function after the trans service. I used some Lucas trans conditioner (not a big fan of fix it in a can) but Lucas makes good stuff and it seems to be helping to get things working better. I rebuilt the carb and was experiencing some gas squirting out of the accelerator pump gasket area until I tightened up the screws and backed off on the accelerator pump I am not a carb expert but used the guide that came with the carb kit to adjust the accelerator pump and found that it was high idling the motor. I then backed off on the adjust screw and idle came down and the leaking stopped in that area. I have noticed that I am only getting around 10 mpg at this time, but I'm thinking that its still early in the game and only have about 200 miles on the truck since reviving it. I think that these trucks usually got close to about 15 mpg ? I am in the market for a HEI type distributor. I have seen some on Ebay from CRT Performance that come with the cam gear, and wires anybody had any experience with these? thanks for the input.

F6 lathead

Post #8 by F6 lathead » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Well I think an update is in order. I found out through this forum that the carb (68 and later Autolite 1100 non SCV and non dash pot) is not compatible with the distributor (Load A Matic, 1967 and earlier) that I had paired together.This set up was on the truck when I inherited it from Dad. Since finding this out, I ordered a rebuilt SCV carb with the dash pot to match up with the load A Matic distributor. I know this is not the best set up to go with but I can't justify getting a new 68 and newer carb and a DSII or HEI set up all at once just yet. I already had the Load A Matic and had already invested in plugs wires, points, cap rotor etc... for it prior to learning all of this and decided to get some use out of it before I later do an update to an electronic set up and may just modify the SCV 1100 to run with the Electronic distributor later. For those that are reading this and are not well versed in this situation, be aware that if you have a 1967 and earlier stock set up and are running an automatic trans, ensure that you have the Autolite 1100 with SCV or clone carb, and you have the Load A Matic distributor (prior to 1968) ensure that you have the carb that has the dash pot on it, this is used to supply a little more fuel to the motor to satisfy the auto trans during stop and go traffic and while the motor is not under load. The Auto lite 1100 that is non Spark Control Valve (SCV) and has only the accelerator pump and not the dash pot is for manual transmission applications. This is what I have found out through this forum and on others, and makes sense Thanks to all who helped with the Load A Matic distributor and the Auto Lite 1100 with SCV and explaining how they work together to get hopefully better mileage.