C clip vs non C clip axles

Moderator: Mod Squad

falcon_master

C clip vs non C clip axles

Post #1 by falcon_master » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi everyone I just had some questions on axles. I know my car has non C clip axles. So this raised some questions to me. I know how to replace wheel bearings and seals on a c clip axles bit I know on a non c clip axles there pressed on. So my questions are A. Can I remove the axle without dissembling the brakes and just unscrew it and pull it out. B. Is it possible for a 16 year old by himself to replace axle shaft bearings by himself in there cars. I don't even know if I have to replace them but my uncle said that he would advise me to do it know rather than have one fail on the road later. Do you guys think it necessary thanks.
Jarod
Junior year high school AFJROTC cadet and car enthusiast. Likes all things ford and engines of any company. 64 falcon 2dr sedan,144CI and 3spd column shift. estimated 124,000 miles. Resurrected after sitting outside for 18 years, In process fixing for use as daily driver YouTube channel for repairs coming soon. “Old cars may break but are never broken”-RCR

falcon_master

Re: C clip vs non C clip axles

Post #2 by falcon_master » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Also I forgot to ask around non c clip axles ok and safe. Or they something I should look to upgrade later.
Junior year high school AFJROTC cadet and car enthusiast. Likes all things ford and engines of any company. 64 falcon 2dr sedan,144CI and 3spd column shift. estimated 124,000 miles. Resurrected after sitting outside for 18 years, In process fixing for use as daily driver YouTube channel for repairs coming soon. “Old cars may break but are never broken”-RCR

rickwrench

Post #3 by rickwrench » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm

You will need a hydraulic press to get the axle bearings and retainers on correctly. A press helps to remove them too. Removing Ford axle bearing retainers is GREAT fun... waiting for them to pop... waiting... waitin- POP!!! Go change your shorts.
But you can carefully cut them off with a wheel, too. Being very, very careful not to nick the axle.

Again, you will need a press to put them on properly. If you don't have one, send them out to be done.

•••

The difference between C-clip and pressed retainer axles is that the C-clip axle is retained by the C-clip, at the very inside end of the axle, in the dif. A pressed retainer bearing axle is retained by the bearing being sandwiched between the pressed retainer on the inside and the retainer plate, at the very -outside- end of the axle.

Should you somehow produce enough torque to break the axle in half, odds are it will be somewhere in the middle. A C-clip retainer will then only be keeping the inner, broken off portion of the axle in the tube. The broken off outer axle stub and wheel may simply slide out and depart the vehicle ...if you have rear drum brakes. Your wheel will pass you, and your car will grind a groove in the pavement as is comes to rest. Then a pool of 90wt will ooze out of the open tube, while you hunt for your wheel. If you happen to have rear disks, you once had a lot of extra money, and the calipers over the disk will keep the axle located as you coast to a stop.

A snapped pressed/retainer bearing axle will just make a lot of horrible noise as the busted ends grind against each other. Bearings, retainer, seals, and wheel will stay in place, making for an easy time getting the car onto a piggyback tow truck. And you'll save all the 90wt to spill at home.

Rick(wrench)
'62 Falcon Wagons (x2), Kellison J5, V8 Alfa GTam, Corvair Corsa:
www.rickwrench.com

Shorty

Post #4 by Shorty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Since my name is Nick so I think you should be careful not to mark the axle:) but really I have only ever cut the retainers not pressed them as that is what I have had available. The cut is made diagonally and not all the way through, then give a sharp smack with a hammer and cold chisel and it should crack the retainer and it will slide right off. I have even installed the new retainers with a hammer and a pipe that slides over the axle shaft, with an end cap. Be careful to support the axle flange in a way that will not damage the studs and when the retainer seats the whole works will bonce and ring differently than when it was yet being moved by the hammer blows.

My truck has a nine inch, which is the pressed on style of retainer, and I need to dis-assemble the brakes to get the axles out, but the backing plate stays behind so I leave the line connected to the wheel cylinder and don't need to bleed the brakes.

This axle is IMO stronger than the c clip axle (ask someone who runs demolition derby cars if they would rather a 9 inch or an 8.8) and it is also nice to work on the removable ring gear carrier. Gear set up is done on the bench.
85 F150 on 78 bronco frame C6 np205 welded dana44 front, trussed posi nine inch rear. EFI exhaust manifolds into one 2 1/2" rolls on 35x12.5x15 Maxxis Trepador.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #5 by B RON CO » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi, as mentioned, a press is the best way to change the bearings, and many auto parts stores and auto shops can do the job if you bring in the axles. Ask around about the pricing. Even if you get the retaining ring off by cutting and cracking it, you will still find the press useful to remove the bearing from the axle shaft. It is a tight fit.
The seals can be popped out with a seal puller, or a very large screwdriver, inserted into the seal, and pushing in, using the axle tube as a fulcrum.
I would check the axle by spinning them and checking for play. The bearings last a long time. Usually a leaky seal indicates a worn bearing, because the axle flops around and ruins the seal.
I wouldn't change the bearings and seal just for the heck of it.
Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8