Throw Out Bearing Hub Orientation?

Moderator: Mod Squad

floydilian

Throw Out Bearing Hub Orientation?

Post #1 by floydilian » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Hiya folks!

I'm stumped and a search hasn't turned up any leads.

I have just bolted up a new clutch disc and pressure plate, and reattached the bell housing with a couple bolts to hold it in place. I am stuck on getting the throw out bearing set up correctly. As near as I can tell, the throw out bearing and hub are held in place by the arms of the release lever, and the spring clips actually ride and take the load of the arms of the release lever? This seems like an odd setup!

Anyway, assuming that is correct, can someone point me in the right direction of how the throw out bearing hub should be oriented in the bell housing compared to the arms of the release lever? The spring clips are offset on the throw out bearing hub and I'm stuck on which way they should go. The shop manual isn't helpful on this point.

In these pictures, I am looking up from the bottom of the car towards the front. In the first picture (A), the throw out bearing hub is offset so the springs are closer to the pivot point of the arm, and in the second picture (B), the throw out bearing hub is offset so the springs are farther to the pivot point of the arm. Or is it (C) I am totally wrong? :o

Thanks all!

(A)

(B)

Old/new throw out bearing for reference
1965 Mercury Comet, stock 200 engine, 2.77 3 speed converted to floor shift

floydilian

Re: Throw Out Bearing Hub Orientation?

Post #2 by floydilian » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 pm

OK - I think I have my answer. This 2.77 rebuild thread from HAMB (super helpful thread!) makes it pretty clear that the spring clips are located on the far side of the pivot point:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/falcon-ranchero-2-77-manual-transmission-rebuild-start-to-finish-tech.234213/

Pic from that rebuild...

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm

floydilian wrote:Hiya folks!

I'm stumped and a search hasn't turned up any leads.

I have just bolted up a new clutch disc and pressure plate, and reattached the bell housing with a couple bolts to hold it in place. I am stuck on getting the throw out bearing set up correctly. As near as I can tell, their throw out bearing and hub are held in place by the arms of the release lever, and the spring clips actually ride and take the load of the arms of the release lever? This seems like an odd setup!

Anyway, assuming that is correct, can someone point me in the right direction of how the throw out bearing hub should be oriented in the bell housing compared to the arms of the release lever? The spring clips are offset on the throw out bearing hub and I'm stuck on which way they should go. The shop manual isn't helpful on this point.

In these pictures, I am looking up from the bottom of the car towards the front. In the first picture (A), the throw out bearing hub is offset so the springs are closer to the pivot point of the arm, and in the second picture (B), the throw out bearing hub is offset so the springs are farther to the pivot point of the arm. Or is it (C) I am totally wrong? :o

Thanks all!

(A)

(B)

Old/new throw out bearing for reference

Both of the top pictures are the wrong way! The throw out bearing needs to be installed so that the throwout bearings two spring clips are to be slipped on to the end of the throwout bearings arm this holds the throwout bearing in place. Anyway it really can't clip on to the throwout bearing arm but the one way. I can just barely make out the position of the bearing on the throwout arm in your next posts picture but it's probably on the right way. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

floydilian

Post #4 by floydilian » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Bubba,

Duh - of course! Now that you point it out, I can even see the wear marks on the fork. :roll:

Thanks for the advice - I can see clearly now.

This place is great. Thanks all!

StarDiero75

Post #5 by StarDiero75 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 pm

floydilian wrote:Bubba,

Duh - of course! Now that you point it out, I can even see the wear marks on the fork. :roll:

I wish yoy posted this 3 days ago. I have to pull mine all apart again. Curse this. Thst ford shop manual is worthless
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:10 pm

:thumbup: yes glad you can see it clearly now! Anyway it's good that you asked the questions first before finishing bolting it up so no damage was done. Good luck you should be back on the road again soon! :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

floydilian

Post #7 by floydilian » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for all the help.

I found a rebuilt 1966 Mustang 2.77 to swap for my 1965 Comet trans. I had to swap all stuff mounted to it around, and in the end I had to swap the input shafts (tricky due to those needle bearings!). I also correctly set up the Hurst floor shift (thanks!) and correctly set up the TO bearing (thanks!) and the car now shifts easily between all the gears!

Actually, I should say it shifts easily between all the gears when I keep in mind that 1st is non-synchro :o

Thanks all for your help!

-Ben

pikesan

Post #8 by pikesan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:25 pm

Another win for Bubba!!
See all my cars here: Pikesan's Garage What's in your garage?

drag-200stang

Post #9 by drag-200stang » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 am

StarDiero75 wrote:

I wish yoy posted this 3 days ago. I have to pull mine all apart again. Curse this. Thst ford shop manual is worthless

That is why I asked if the throw out bearing was clipped on to the fork...
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.