Anything I Should Know?

Moderator: Mod Squad

StarDiero75

Anything I Should Know?

Post #1 by StarDiero75 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Howdy guys,

After a month of dealing with the clutch and transmission, im about to get the car back on the road. Im just waiting on the new tranny bracket in the mail, any day now.

Is there anything i should know or check before starting the beast? I installed a 78 Fairmont clutch, i have the 67 TO bearing in and hooked up correctly, the 67 bell all cleaned and torqued down, the rebuilt never been used tranny torqued to the bell and filled with tranny fluid, and brand new engine and trans mounts. Just waiting on the bracket so i can install the new trans mount in it. I have the boot for the bell which ill install when i get back under to put the mount in.

Let me know if there is anything special besides setting the clutch pedal that i should do before starting the car. Im kinda nervous, this has been the biggest job ive done yet, and has taken me a month due to school and ordering parts.

This is a 65 Ranchero 200, 65 3.03 tranny

Thanks guys,
Ryan
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Re: Anything I Should Know?

Post #2 by wsa111 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Ryan, get it on the road & then you can go from there. Your CRT dist. needs some work when you get some $$'s to spend.
You should be very satisfied with the end results.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, HEI dist. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

StarDiero75

Post #3 by StarDiero75 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:09 am

wsa111 wrote:Ryan, get it on the road & then you can go from there. Your CRT dist. needs some work when you get some $$'s to spend.

Good good. Haha, i always figure you'd say something. Are they really that out of wack? Mine drives alright. Would i notice a huge power change if i did have you recurve it?

Also im recommending you on the Studebaker forums when it comes to curving distributors, thats ok, right? You dont just do Fords, right? I go one there and read around looking for stuff about my Lark.
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives

chad

Post #4 by chad » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:28 am

StarDiero75 wrote:Is there anything i should know or check before starting the beast?...
Let me know if there is anything special besides setting the clutch pedal that i should do before starting the car...
This is a 65 Ranchero 200, 65 3.03 tran...
Thanks guys,
Ryan

other than making sure it shifts, then ck linkage is correct, & U-joints, yoke'n driveshaft all in same alignment as B4 I'd say take it easy getting up 2 speed'n trompin on the gas peddle till ur sure no bad vibes...
We'll all wait till we get the word - then :beer:
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 am

StarDiero75 wrote:Howdy guys,

After a month of dealing with the clutch and transmission, im about to get the car back on the road. Im just waiting on the new tranny bracket in the mail, any day now.

Is there anything i should know or check before starting the beast? I installed a 78 Fairmont clutch, i have the 67 TO bearing in and hooked up correctly, the 67 bell all cleaned and torqued down, the rebuilt never been used tranny torqued to the bell and filled with tranny fluid, and brand new engine and trans mounts. Just waiting on the bracket so i can install the new trans mount in it. I have the boot for the bell which ill install when i get back under to put the mount in.

Let me know if there is anything special besides setting the clutch pedal that i should do before starting the car. Im kinda nervous, this has been the biggest job ive done yet, and has taken me a month due to school and ordering parts.

Thanks guys,
Ryan

There isn't anything special that needs to be done if everthing is bolted in or installed correctly, plus trans filled with correct gear oil, speedometer and emergency brake linkage etc. As far as the clutch pedal setting your looking for about 3/4 inch minimum (Max is about 1 1/2 inches I set mine to the minimum) of free travel in the clutch pedal before the throwout bearing begins to contact the pressure plates fingers / diafram. After that then try it out and see how it all works. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Post #6 by wsa111 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:13 pm

StarDiero75 wrote:
wsa111 wrote:Ryan, get it on the road & then you can go from there. Your CRT dist. needs some work when you get some $$'s to spend.

Good good. Haha, i always figure you'd say something. Are they really that out of wack? Mine drives alright. Would i notice a huge power change if i did have you recurve it?

Also im recommending you on the Studebaker forums when it comes to curving distributors, thats ok, right? You dont just do Fords, right? I go one there and read around looking for stuff about my Lark.

You would be able to notice the improvement.
I've done Studebakers many years ago. Would need a photo of one to refresh my memory.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, HEI dist. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

StarDiero75

Post #7 by StarDiero75 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:15 pm

bubba22349 wrote:

Thanks guys,
Ryan

There isn't anything special that needs to be done if everthing is bolted in or installed correctly, plus trans filled with correct gear oil, speedometer and emergency brake linkage etc. As far as the clutch pedal setting your looking for about 3/4 inch minimum (Max is about 1 1/2 inches I set mine to the minimum) of free travel in the clutch pedal before the throwout bearing begins to contact the pressure plates fingers / diafram. After that then try it out and see how it all works. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

Do i use a large ruler to measure the free travel?

Thanks,
Ryan

StarDiero75

Post #8 by StarDiero75 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:18 pm

chad wrote:
StarDiero75 wrote:Is there anything i should know or check before starting the beast?...
Let me know if there is anything special besides setting the clutch pedal that i should do before starting the car...
This is a 65 Ranchero 200, 65 3.03 tran...
Thanks guys,
Ryan

other than making sure it shifts, then ck linkage is correct, & U-joints, yoke'n driveshaft all in same alignment as B4 I'd say take it easy getting up 2 speed'n trompin on the gas peddle till ur sure no bad vibes...
We'll all wait till we get the word - then :beer:

Will do!
Ill let you all know how it goes!

StarDiero75

Post #9 by StarDiero75 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:22 pm

wsa111 wrote:
StarDiero75 wrote:

You would be able to notice the improvement.
I've done Studebakers many years ago. Would need a photo of one to refresh my memory.

Ok sick! I might look into that closer to summer. I need to keep this thing driving for awhile longer. If i had a backup one then i wouldnt worry.
How much do yoy charge to rebuild a dizzy? I have the one i pulled out of it, itd be nice to have a backup if need be. Im not sure if its a loadomatic or a usual dual advance. I ran a carb with a spark valve and without one and it didnt seem to make a difference haha

Im only mentioning you in respect to setting curves and if they need a new HEI dustributor recurved or the super hard gear replaced, stuff like that.

Thanks!
Ryan

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #10 by bubba22349 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:48 pm

StarDiero75 wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:

Thanks guys,
Ryan

Thanks,
Ryan

Sure you can use a ruler! :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

StarDiero75

Post #11 by StarDiero75 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 pm

bubba22349 wrote:
StarDiero75 wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:

Thanks,
Ryan

Sure you can use a ruler! :thumbup: :nod:

Awesome! Thanks man!!