C4 questions

Moderator: Mod Squad

64-5mustang

C4 questions

Post #1 by 64-5mustang » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:55 pm

My car is a 64.5 mustang with 200 and a c4 trans. I just rebuild the motor about the 10th drive as I decell and or brake as it down shifts in to first I get a loud clunk like a u joint but they are good I don't hear it any other time. Trans is good on fluid. Also I would like to increase the point of where it shifts from 2 to 3. As its a bit of a toy anymore and my cam likes it higher (stupid me). There is what I would call a plug or adjustable not to the left of the shift shaft seams to be in much farther than it should be. Thanks for your time.

StarDiero75

Re: C4 questions

Post #2 by StarDiero75 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:41 am

64-5mustang wrote:My car is a 64.5 mustang with 200 and a c4 trans. I just rebuild the motor about the 10th drive as I decell and or brake as it down shifts in to first I get a loud clunk like a u joint but they are good I don't hear it any other time. Trans is good on fluid. Also I would like to increase the point of where it shifts from 2 to 3. As its a bit of a toy anymore and my cam likes it higher (stupid me). There is what I would call a plug or adjustable not to the left of the shift shaft seams to be in much farther than it should be. Thanks for your time.

The clunk may be normal, but i have limited experience with autos. My dads 69' F250 with 390/C6 clunked downshifting and upshifting but thats heavy duty.

The adjustment is done with the vacuum modulator on it. You csn twist it in more or lossen it to adjust it i believe. It should be where the vacuum line from the intake goes.
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.