Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

wore out threads

Moderator: Mod Squad

woodbutcher
VIP Member

wore out threads

Post #1 by woodbutcher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:28 pm

:( The starter mount threads are toast in the upper bolt hole,to the point that they are useless.
What would be the best long term fix?Heli Coil or something else?Drillfor the next oversize and retherad?There is a Fastenal store locally,
and they do have HeliCoil and other type thread repair items.If the transmission has to come out to repair,that will be a problem money wise.Very fixed income.If anybody has any ideas please post.Thanks for any advice that is helpful.Where I live they fuss about doing almost any type of repairs that take any length of time.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

Rooster

Re: wore out threads

Post #2 by Rooster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm

In my opinion the heli-coil is a great repair. I own an auto repair shop and I have kits in all sizes if we need it. Have done many with no failures. You do need enough room to get a drill on it straight. If you can I say heli-coil it. In most cases a heli coil is stronger than the original thread.
Dave

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Heli Coil will make a good lasting repair it’s about the best. Going oversized will sometimes work but in the case of a starter the bigger bolt head size don’t fit the large case starters very good. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

StarDiero75

Post #4 by StarDiero75 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:12 pm

If you just need a fix, and can't do a proper fix like the helicoil, you can get a longer bolt and have a nut go on the back side of it and go that way. I had to do that before and it works. You may have to grind a side of the nut down but it should work.
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200, dual friction diaphram 9" Modern Driveline clutch and billet flywheel all balanced, 1985 SVO WC T5 with front shift, 1966 2.8 Ford 8", Weber 32/26 with VI adapter, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #5 by woodbutcher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:53 pm

:D Thank you all for your replies.I am considering several.Tried the through bolt and nut.Did`nt work too good.Will revisit that fix.As to the HeliCoil,the trans might have to come out to do that,and I just am not able health wise able to manage that.Might have to see how much the local trans shop would charge to do the Rand R.Forgot to mention in first post it`s a C6.
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #6 by woodbutcher » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:19 pm

:D Well,got the old beast back on the road.Starter is working just fine.Took it to the local trans shop,and the owner did the through bolt fix.Was very reasonable too.Thank you Ronnie Inman at Inmans Transmission repair.
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #7 by Lazy JW » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:16 pm

woodbutcher wrote::D Well,got the old beast back on the road.Starter is working just fine.Took it to the local trans shop,and the owner did the through bolt fix.Was very reasonable too.Thank you Ronnie Inman at Inmans Transmission repair.
Leo

:thumbup: :nod: :D
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)