Factory backspacing for 14" Mustang 4 bolt wheels

Moderator: Mod Squad

DDriller

Factory backspacing for 14" Mustang 4 bolt wheels

Post #1 by DDriller » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:31 am

I have an original 66 Mustang Sprint 200 with the factory 14" wheels. I measured the backspacing on the wheel and came up with 3-5/8". Everything I've read has the factory backspacing as 4" and I know they are original because my grandmother bought the car new and she never changed the wheels. Also, I've converted to the SSBC 4 bolt disc brake setup. The clearance between the tire and the upper control arm is only 1/2" with 215/70R14 tires. I want to put some 15 x 7" bigger, better looking wheels and tires on the car but I'm concerned with the tire rubbing the upper arm because all the replacement rims have a min backspacing of 4" at the least. I'm not sure if the SSBC conversion has anything to do with the small tire to upper control clearance due to the fact that the factory spindles are re-used in the conversion. Any advice or input into this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Factory backspacing for 14" Mustang 4 bolt wheels

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:19 pm

DDriller wrote:I have an original 66 Mustang Sprint 200 with the factory 14" wheels. I measured the backspacing on the wheel and came up with 3-5/8". Everything I've read has the factory backspacing as 4" and I know they are original because my grandmother bought the car new and she never changed the wheels. Also, I've converted to the SSBC 4 bolt disc brake setup. The clearance between the tire and the upper control arm is only 1/2" with 215/70R14 tires. I want to put some 15 x 7" bigger, better looking wheels and tires on the car but I'm concerned with the tire rubbing the upper arm because all the replacement rims have a min backspacing of 4" at the least. I'm not sure if the SSBC conversion has anything to do with the small tire to upper control clearance due to the fact that the factory spindles are re-used in the conversion. Any advice or input into this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Did you measure the stock brakes wheel hub and compare it to the SSBC disk hub? I don't think you should have any problem with a 15 inch wheel clearing the upper control arm though. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.