Wheel & Tire Chart

Moderator: Mod Squad

ssg66stang

Wheel & Tire Chart

Post #1 by ssg66stang » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello everyone, I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Years ago there was a wheel/tire chart that Dodgestang created and maintained that would give you a good idea if a particular setup would work on your car. Although the data didn't always apply to every application it was a great base to work from. I have since learned that Dodgestang received some grief for the chart and it is no longer on the web. Dose anyone have the pdf chart for 1966 mustangs? I have the first page that has wheel sizes up to 15x7 but I was hoping to go a little bigger than that. Please feel free to PM me the pdf version. Thanks in advance!!!

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Re: Wheel & Tire Chart

Post #2 by 65coupei6 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Did you try a google search? :D

dodgestang tire chart

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... TWHUwmsuEg
...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. VI (CI) Aluminum Head, Holley 350, Schneider 264/274 cam,
Headers, DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

Build That Six With Parts From VintageInlines.com

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi, this is an old wheel / tire chart I have for 1964 to 1966 Mustangs (Also have it for newer 1967 to 70's too) there are some wheels up to 18 inch that will fit the early V8 5 lug Mustangs the 4 lugs will be semular. So if you can find the right back spacing of 4.5 in a 15 X 8 it will fit on the rear only and a 15 X 7 with a 4.25 back space is the biggest that fits the front wheels. This info came from an old Halibrand Wheel chart (back when the Mustangs were still new cars) you might have look for the tire size conversions to the newer current tire sizes and maybe also do a MIlimeter (MM) conversion with some brands of the newer wheels. Good luck :nod:

Ford Mustang Aftermarket Tire & Wheel Sizes
Halibrand Engineering researched the Mustang wheel/tire sizing issue. For optimum results, they suggest living within these parameters for the early Mustang’s

1964 To 66 MUSTANG WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT
Wheel Size Correct Backspace Suggested Tire Size
15x6 4.000 in P215/70R15
15x7 4.250 in P225/60R15
15x8 4.500 in (rear only) P255/60R15 to P235/60R15
16x7 4.250 in P205/55R16 to P255/60R16
16x8 4.500 in (rear only) P225/50R16
17x7 4.250 in P205/50ZR17
17x8 4.500 in (rear only) P235/45ZR17
18x7 4.250 in P225/40ZR18
18x8 4.500 in (rear only) P245/40ZR18 to P265/35ZR18
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

ssg66stang

Post #4 by ssg66stang » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks bubba.

Marco, yes I did try a google search, but like I said I was only able to find the chart up to a wheel size of 15x7. I know dodgestang's original chart goes bigger than that but I have yet to be able to find that portion of the chart.

Thanks

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:29 pm

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

ssg66stang

Post #6 by ssg66stang » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Bubba that’s the chart for 67-68. I need the chart for 65-66 for wheel sizes larger than 15x7. I’ve tried google and all the links end up going to a page that is no longer active. I know dodgestang removed a lot of not all of his information because of some drama that was caused by someone else so finding his pdf chart that someone happens to have saved seems to be my only hope. I’m wanting to fit 17x7 wheels on my 66 Coupe. I have a CRSP disc brake conversion up front with 620 1” lowering springs and the Shelby drop; the rear has 4 mid-eye leaf springs. Does anyone have this setup? Will you please send pictures and let me know of any issues I will run into. Thanks!

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Post #7 by 65coupei6 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Did you check the link I posted in my message above? :)

This was the third link down in the search.

https://www.stang-aholics.com/files/dow ... -65-66.pdf
...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. VI (CI) Aluminum Head, Holley 350, Schneider 264/274 cam,

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Post #8 by 65coupei6 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 pm

I have 17x7 in the front and 17x8 in the rear. CSRP SN 95 discs in the front and SN95 discs in the rear. Shelby drop / 1" lowering block in rear with standard eye. RideTech coilovers in the front. All 4 fenders have been rolled.

Here is one more pic: http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2 ... THOMAS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...Marco

ssg66stang

Post #9 by ssg66stang » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 am

Marco, thanks a ton! New wheels are definitely on the horizon for me, its just a matter of saving a bit more and deciding on which ones I truly want. Thanks again!

dodgestang

Post #10 by dodgestang » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:53 pm

You know....even after all these years my saved Google search still sends me interesting threads. :D Sorry for the novella.

I once created a nice little chart. I went around the various big name internet discussion forums and asked people to tell me what size wheels and tires they had on their cars. I also asked them various things like, what suspension they had, what brakes, what brand tires, any other little mods done to their car. Wrote it all down into a spreadsheet and made it available to the world by hosting on my own domain that I paid for with no kickbacks.

I even took a stab at upgrading it a few years later and including links to photos of the cars from the people who had sent me info…also hosted on my own domain...but I was never able to make that part of it work with my photo album software so I moth balled it.

For 15+ years I would get emails from people saying "thank you, this really helped" usually followed up with "here's what I put my car" with all their details. After a while I started to see patterns and stopped updating the charts because everything sent to me was already in there in some form or another...so the chart lived on their own for a while with no maintenance needed and just became a mainstay in the online communities.

Then one day working as the admin on a discussion forum I had to put a temporary ban on someone...who then proceeded to join up 100 more times using different email addresses to thumb his nose at the rules of the discussion forum and the admins who were forced to do something about him and had to perm ban him as well as EVERY free online email address service (which inconvenienced a lot of people who wanted to join the site) After a while he lost interest in that but still occasionally found a new service, joined up, and started making waves.

Several months later I started noticed a drastic change in the emails I got. Instead of 'Thanks' or "here's my combo' I started getting inundated with emails along the lines of "I know your chart has this combo, but will it work" and "I'm not sure if these fit, the chart says 5 people are using them but I've heard stories".....

So a little Googling led me to a SINGLE internet troll with a habit of posting hundreds of times daily on everything from dirt bike, 3 wheeler, bmw, painting, mustang, game of thrones discussion boards (basically if it was a forum he was posting there)...all over the world and claiming expert knowledge in hundreds of disciplines. This individual was hitting every thread that mentioned the wheel chart around the world and claiming people who used the info in the chart were damaging their cars, that he ran a mustang restoration shop and had seen it all firsthand....blah blah blah.

I railed against this nonsense for years. Even setup this little Google search to alert me to when the wheel chart was mention...but ultimately I got tired. The damage had been done. So I gave up. I let the troll win. He still posts all over the world, same insane large number of posts per day...so I can only imagine he is either a convicted con with internet access or a bed ridden broken old man with nothing else to do. He also still racks up more bans than can be counted everywhere he goes and obviously wears them with pride because the only time he changes his name is AFTER site mods get wise to his act and ban his primary account. Then he just trolls them harder on and off for years. You will note that I have not used his name, it does not need to be mentioned.

I don't use discussion forums anymore. The anonymity of them makes it easy for the worst in humanity to show through in some individual. I have changed my focus and dedicated my time to helping people more local (helped start a local mustang club and spend weekends inviting club members over and providing them help in my garage with lifts, tools, and friendship). I also help run the group page Vintage Mustang Forum on Facebook. While it is 'harder' to manage a Facebook site than a discussion site in order to keep signal to noise ratio low for members; it is also easier because people find it harder to hide behind anonymity on Facebook, and those that try are easily disallowed from joining the group.

Several months after I removed the tire and charts Mustang Depot reached out to inquiring about using them. After some discussion I allowed them to have copies of the charts in their original form and they are hosted on their site for anyone looking to buy wheels to use. They can be found in the header of their wheels page for vintage mustangs here: https://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCata ... _parts.htm

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #11 by bubba22349 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi dodgestang, :wow: that's sure a lot of trouble to go through :bang: Hope your doing much better now days, good luck :thumbup: :nod: