Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

Ford Explorer E-Brake Cable Bracket

Moderator: Mod Squad

lavron

Ford Explorer E-Brake Cable Bracket

Post #1 by lavron » Sat May 25, 2019 9:26 am

I will probably get this figured out but thought maybe someone here might know and it would save me from a lot of trial and error :roll:

I went out yesterday and worked on figuring out my rear parking brake cable install, I know how to hook up my modified, between the seat, hand lever cable and the stock Explorer brake cables look like they should work fine (not fully understanding how the equalizer pulls both cables, but know it does so I am not worrying about figuring that one out now) what I need to find out is where to weld the bracket on the frame.

This is a couple of pictures I got from a Ranger/Explorer forum showing the area I am talking about.

The bracket is the one on the far right in the picture (ignore the red circles they were on there) From reading Ranger guys swapping Explorer rears into their rigs this bracket had to be moved back from the stock location because the brakes did not pull evenly if they didn't so I am assuming bracket placement is crucial to correct operation.

I am not sure if the Ranger swaps was an issue of the front cable length or something else.

If anyone has an idea I appreciate the help.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, 250- I6, Air Ride, Mll, 8.8 LSD, 4 wheel Discs
Currently a Build in Progress- Whatever I do it will be awesome!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Ford Explorer E-Brake Cable Bracket

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sat May 25, 2019 3:50 pm

The thing to remember on any exmergency brake cable hook up is that the rear cable bracket location is about the most important in getting it all to work correctly. It needs to be equal on both sides for it to pull the brakes equally and it needs to have the proper slack retained so the suspension can move through its cyclical of up and down movement. Look at the old factory mounting points first and maybe try it then adjust from there depending on the differance in slack of the cables or your new suspention location. After you have that location set you can adjust the lenght of cables if needed for your brake handle mounting. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

lavron

Re: Ford Explorer E-Brake Cable Bracket

Post #3 by lavron » Sat May 25, 2019 9:21 pm

bubba22349 wrote: Look at the old factory mounting points first and maybe try it then adjust from there depending on the differance in slack of the cables or your new suspention location.

Problem is I don't have that the rear came from the Junkyard so I need to figure out how to achieve the proper slack, etc.

I am considering foregoing the original way they are mounted and just mounting both cables to the frame and using a equalizer bar because everything is so changed going from the SUV to my Comet with air bags.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, 250- I6, Air Ride, Mll, 8.8 LSD, 4 wheel Discs
Currently a Build in Progress- Whatever I do it will be awesome!