Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Power brake vacuum lines

Moderator: Mod Squad

delesher

Power brake vacuum lines

Post #1 by delesher » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:29 am

My power disc brake conversion kit showed up yesterday and the only thing I'm not certain about is the vacuum line connection to the manifold. Can anyone advise the best way to do this and post any pics? Thanks, David

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Power brake vacuum line

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:50 am

The power brake booster vacuum line hook up is fairly straightforward. Looking at a typical Ford small six log head just below the carb mounting is a vacuum port with 3/8 NIP (standard US Pipe Threads). You might need to have a Vacuum Manifold or T fitting so that several other vacuum lines can also be hooked up in this same location such as for an Auto Transmission's vacuum modulator, interior heater controls, AC vacuum motor venting doors, a vacuum gauge, etc. in those cases the stock Ford fittings fit & look the best and are a more compact design. if not than i use a single 90 degree L fitting so that the vacuum line can run parallel and close under or on the side of the log, routing the line back to the fire wall and turning with a gentlem 90 degree bend heading over to the vacuum power brake booster. In any case the manifold fitting needs to be for a 3/8 inch vacuum hose. I like the pipe fittings that are a smooth hose end with just a rolled bead on the end, but you could also use a barbed fitting too. I also use a good quality hose clamp on each of the hose ends like the small stainless steel worm gear type clamps or the OEM clamps.

Very important for power brake opperation is to use the proper heavy wall reinforced 3/8 inch vacuum line so it "Doesn't Collapse" during brake opperation. This vacuum line should also have a good mounting clamp / bracket factory type clamps are made like a split hose clamp but with a bolt hole to mount it securely to the firewall near the center of its lenght. Next is the one way Check Valve at the booster and its Gromlet these two items need to be in good condistion with a snug fit to retain vacuum, since yours is a new kit that probably not going to be an issue. Lastly on engines that may have a high performance aftermarket camshaft a vaccum canister can be used to store vacuum for use during the times when there is low engine vacuum. Best of luck on the install. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My Ex-Fleet of Sixes sadly these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

delesher

Re: Power brake vacuum lines

Post #3 by delesher » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 am

Thanks Bubba. that is pretty much what I was thinking but didn't know if there was a better way. I hadn't thought of attaching the hose to the fire wall but will do that.

delesher

Post #4 by delesher » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:48 am

Bubba, another question. Can I just run a y off the port for the pcv?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:56 am

Hi delesher, it isn't a good practice tapping into the PCV line for anything else, it's much better to go right to the manifolds main vacuum source for a power brake booster. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My Ex-Fleet of Sixes sadly these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

delesher

Post #6 by delesher » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Thanks again Bubba. I ordered a T fitting with a 3/8 and 1/4 barb off ebay. It was only $10 and looks like the cleanest solution.