conversion to front wheel disc on 1966 coupe

Moderator: Mod Squad

sprog777

conversion to front wheel disc on 1966 coupe

Post #1 by sprog777 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:51 pm

There is this guy on ebay selling conversion kit for 450 dollars. It does not come with master cylinder.I have power drum brakes now and they won't lock up any wheel standing on brake pedal. Should I get double master cylinder with prop valve? I'm not good at bending brake lines, do anyone sell lines pre bent lines for that application? And what could be wrong that my brakes won't lock up now. I have bleed everything and each wheel has just a touch of drag on brakes. Any thoughts on this?

B RON CO
VIP Member

Re: conversion to front wheel disc on 1966 coupe

Post #2 by B RON CO » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:10 am

Hi, I don't have enough information to give my opinion on your car, but I would think about a couple of things. I have a 66 Mustang and a 66 Bronco so I have some experience. My Mustang has the stock brake system, with a good pedal and I don't know if the brakes will lock up. My tires are slightly larger than stock. It stops fine but like most old cars I know I need more room to stop. Are your brake shoes premium quality, with the primary (small) shoe in front? It is common for the secondary (large) shoe to end up in the wrong position. I have seen shoes and drums glazed from heat. In the old days brake shoes were "arched" to fit the drums. The only way I can imagine doing that is to lay the shoe in the drum and use sandpaper to remove any high spot from the ends or the center for complete shoe contact. If you decide to change to disc brakes be aware that any kit will need customization to fit your car, and most stock 14" wheels will not fit with the conversion. We have members here who specialize in conversions, and I see them in Mustang specialty parts houses. I would by from them before buying from an online no name source. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

sprog777

Post #3 by sprog777 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:06 pm

I have power drum brakes now and am converting to front disc. I have the single master cylinder and am confused about what master cylinder I need. All the conversion kits want to sell the power brake booster which I already have due to the power drums. Can anyone tell me which master cylinder I need and would like to get prop valve included.

sprog777

Post #4 by sprog777 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:20 pm

When I first got this car a 1966 mustang coupe 200ci with automatic transmission. I replaced all the slave cylinders had the drums turned and replaced the brake shoes. Bleed brakes twice just to make sure I didn't have any air in lines. I a'm sure the shoes are in correct position.I would have thought that the power drum brakes would stop better than they do. It hasn't been driven enough to glaze over. Maybe the power assist booster is not working properly but don't know how to check that? Any way that is why I a'm going to front disc brakes. Just need to know which master cylinder will work with my setup.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #5 by B RON CO » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi, is it a stock Ford power brake or after market? I'll have to look into that myself. When Ford put disc brakes on those cars they used a master cylinder with a single cup but it was larger then drum only. Disc brakes take more fluid as the pads wear down, so the disc reservoir is larger. Even if you find the "right" master the depth of the push rod is something you need to verify. I have seen masters and push rods different from what I expected and made do so the pushrod fit and the master cylinder piston returned all the way. Good luck

sprog777

Post #6 by sprog777 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:14 pm

It is stock system than came on the car from factory even brake pedal says power bakes.Surely some one has had a six cylinder with automatic transmission and power drum brakes and converted to front disc. If you have done this mod I would appreciate any info you can give me on the master cylinder.Thanks

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:31 am

sprog777 wrote:There is this guy on ebay selling conversion kit for 450 dollars. It does not come with master cylinder.I have power drum brakes now and they won't lock up any wheel standing on brake pedal. Should I get double master cylinder with prop valve? I'm not good at bending brake lines, do anyone sell lines pre bent lines for that application? And what could be wrong that my brakes won't lock up now. I have bleed everything and each wheel has just a touch of drag on brakes. Any thoughts on this?

Yes there is a problem with your stock brakes if you can not lock them up! Couple of things to check, on the backing plates do the brake shoes sit straight at 90 degrees to the plates? Do the shoes slide easily on mounting pads? Many times there are groves worn into the mounting pads that catch the edge of the shoes so they don't move as easy as they should. Lastly have you checked that the power booster is working correctly and that the master cylinder push Rod length is adjusted to correctly? Telltale signs of a bad booster are that when the engine is idling and you step on the brakes then the idle becomes rough. Also listen to the brake booster when you shut off the engine if you hear sounds of vacuum leaking out of it that is a sign that the one way check valve is bad or you can pull that valve out to see if it was holding vaccum into the brake booster. Lastly if there are signs that brake fluid was ever leaking out of the master cylinder and going inside the booster it is probally time for it to be rebuilt.

As far as your question if you should be converting to duel bowl disk / drum type master cyclinder and using a proportioning valve. In my opion yes it is worth it for the extra safety margin to convert to the duel bowl if you want to use your car as a daily driver, if you don't drive it much then that's up to you to decide if it's worth all that extra work. As far as which master cylinder to use for your application, you can use a 1967 to 73 Mustang Disk brake unit that is made for use with power brakes if you have the room between the firewall and spring tower to fit its lenght. The specs for a power disk master cyclinder would have a 1 inch bore pistion. Most Mustangs that had Disk Brakes had a Power Booster except for the GT models. You Can use a stock Ford proportioning valve for a Mustang or any Ford that came with a front Disk rear Drum application and you will need to re plumb your brake lines to suit. There are brake line kits for this mod on the 1965 and 66 Mustangs or you can adapt some of the stock 1967 to 73 Mustang lines like from the Master to the Proportioning valve. Good luck :nod: Edited
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

sprog777

Post #8 by sprog777 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:58 pm

:bang: I am new to mustangs fords in general but from what I've read disc brakes was an option on the early mustangs. Where they front disc only, I don't know. If they were then I should use that setup. Makes sense to me. Anybody know? I guess the ones that really know their stuff worked on these cars and due to the age there probably up in age and wouldt come to a forum just to answer questions. My situation ,to me should be a simple solution as it was an option on the early mustangs so if anyone know the answer please let me in on it and if your granddad or dad worked on them run it by them. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel I just want my stang to stop a little better.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #9 by B RON CO » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi, yes Ford had a disc brake option for 65 and 66 Mustangs, and other cars as well. Don't mix up aftermarket kits with the stuff Ford offered. My 66 Mustang has a 1 bowl master has 4 wheel drum. My old long gone 67 4 wheel drum I don't remember, but I think it was two bowl. My long gone 69 was power 4 wheel drum,so what. Bubba and I worked on these cars back n the day and they where great "for back in the day". I'm not gonna tell you what to buy for your car, that is up to you. Some guys just get the best they can to get the most out of the stock stuff, which is fine for some of us, if it is installed and adjusted correctly ( a major point ), and some guys want the most modern up to date 4 wheel disc ( which Ford did not offer ). So do your research and ask a few questions and make up your mind. Happy to help. Good luck

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #10 by bubba22349 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:39 am

sprog777 wrote::bang: I am new to mustangs fords in general but from what I've read disc brakes was an option on the early mustangs. Where they front disc only, I don't know. If they were then I should use that setup. Makes sense to me. Anybody know? I guess the ones that really know their stuff worked on these cars and due to the age there probably up in age and wouldt come to a forum just to answer questions. My situation ,to me should be a simple solution as it was an option on the early mustangs so if anyone know the answer please let me in on it and if your granddad or dad worked on them run it by them. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel I just want my stang to stop a little better.

Yes you are correct that Disk brakes were offered on the early Mustangs it was a front disk / rear drum system using a single bowl master cylinder (nicknamed a fruit jar). As an old timer that was around when these cars where new I can tell you that the Ford cars that came with the disk brakes on them were quite rare compared too the drum brake systems until the late 1960's. A Ford shop manual for your year Mustang will show you which parts are used in the Disk brake system and would also be of help to get your current power drum brakes working as they are supposed to. Good luck :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

sprog777

Post #11 by sprog777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I am looking for the fruit jar master cylinder that was for the front disk and ream drum power brakes. I can't seem to find a stock one. If it was an option for 1966 to have power drums rear and disc front I would like to use that setup. My car was made after 3/1/66.I have found the fruit jar for 3/1/66 and before which was also used on the 1965. But not able to find one for cars made after 3/1/66. Any one know where I can get this master cylinder?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #12 by bubba22349 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:46 pm

sprog777 wrote:I am looking for the fruit jar master cylinder that was for the front disk and ream drum power brakes. I can't seem to find a stock one. If it was an option for 1966 to have power drums rear and disc front I would like to use that setup. My car was made after 3/1/66.I have found the fruit jar for 3/1/66 and before which was also used on the 1965. But not able to find one for cars made after 3/1/66. Any one know where I can get this master cylinder?

:hmmm: to the best of my knowledge the reason you can't find a fruit jar master cylinder for a power disk / drum aplacation is that Ford never offered that combo on the 1964 1/2 to 1966 Mustangs. Only offered was the manual disk / drum brakes, manual drum / drum, or power drum / drum. Power disk / drum combos were only offered on the bigger heavy cars like Thunderbird's and Lincoln's etc.

Your choices are to 1. use the current power drum brake master and take out the proportioning valve and then use an aftermarket disk proportioning valve on the front and adjustable one for the drums on the rear. 2. Use a later model dual master disk / drum master cylinder. Or a compleate aftermarket power brake master kit that uses a dual master cylinder too, and a later 1960's up factory disk / drum portioning valve. Good luck :nod: