brake lines

Moderator: Mod Squad

mluck

brake lines

Post #1 by mluck » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:52 am

thinking about replacing the steel brake lines...are all the kits that they sell the same for 6cyls and v8s or is there a different one for the 6cyls...also is one vendor better than the other when it comes to ease of fit and quality.
67 mustang 200ci. offy with 3 webers,260 cam,coated duel header,duel timing chain,mallory unilite with a hyfire 6a,alum. finned edelbrock valve cover and 3.20 gears.

ags290

Re: brake lines

Post #2 by ags290 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 am

I am guessing that you are working on the 67 Mustang in your signature line. I replaced the steel lines on our early 65 Mustang and used the regular carbon steel lines from NPD. They all required a little adjustment to fit but were a much easier starting point than trying to bend straight tube. The long line to the rear was bent in half for shipping purposes with about a 3 foot radius so it wasn't hard to straighten out. If they were stainless they would have been much harder to adjust.

The options are going to be if you have front disc's from the factory or drums all the way around. There is a production change for cars built before or after February of 1967 so you will need to know your build date. Which ever lines you choose be sure to go ahead and order the clip kit to secure them with, because if your lines a rusty enough to replace the clips will be too. If you luck is like mine about half of them will break when you touch them. There are also some rubber grommets that are near the shock towers that I would replace as well.

I would also recommend doing the rubber hoses while you are there.

Kevin
Kevin
Early 1965 Mustang with a 170