Rear drum brake parking break arm problem

Moderator: Mod Squad

65Fastback

Rear drum brake parking break arm problem

Post #1 by 65Fastback » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:42 am

Hello,

I got new brake shoes from Porterfield to be installed on my 6 Cylinder Mustang 65 with 9" drum brakes.
Comparing the holes in the new shoes with the old ones, I noticed that the attachment of the parking brake lever is completely different on my car than it should be according to the manual. The new brake shoe does not fit to the old lever.

Instead of the small pin with the c-clip on the outside of the shoe, I have a much bigger stud sticking in the shoe with lever attachment on the inner side, see picture (red circle).

So I wonder why this is that way on my car and what to do, to get the new shoe installed?
The hole in the new Porterfield shoe (and on every other brake shoe vendor too) is much smaller than the old ones. Bore bigger hole, buy original lever, respectively whole brake on ebay?
If somebody likes to sell the levers for 9" drums, that would be perfect. But still I like to understand why mine is different.

On the upper photo my drum brake with the stud attachment, on the lower photo the clip attachment how it should be and would fit the new shoes.

Rear Brake small.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-17 um 07.56.27.png

Cheers
Joerg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Rear drum brake parking break arm problem

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 am

:hmmm: The holes for the emergency brake lever orginally were small and fit the brake lever pin perfectly. In your lower pictures the brake lever appears to be installed correctly. What measurement do you get on the hole diameter of old one and the new shoe compared to the brake levers pin outside diameter. Do you have a picture of the old and new brake shoes next to each other? Also with emergency brake lever installed in the old shoe and new shoe next to each other? The emergency brake levers don't usally wear much you should be able to still get them new as well as the return springs and all the other brake hardware kits (kits are for 2 wheels front or rear) from many good auto parts stores such as NAPA auto parts. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.