69 Econoline Lowering/Drum/Disc Conversion

Moderator: Mod Squad

69E100

69 Econoline Lowering/Drum/Disc Conversion

Post #1 by 69E100 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:37 am

Hello,
I am new to this forum and would like some help. I have read many previous threads and found them really great and loaded with information. Here is the dilemma.....
I bought an early 69' Econoline shorty window van without knowing much about the econolines at all. It is a 240 six with a three on the tree. I have since learned a few things. What I would like to do is lower it and convert to front discs. I just finished a project on a 67' Merc Pick-up using DJM drop beams and a 73-75 Ford F100 discs (a lot of work but looks great). The Econoline appears to be a similar set-up but as I am doing my research, it is different animal in many ways! This appears to be a custom job in many ways. I thought that I would put this topic out there because I cannot find any information on lowering or drum/disc conversion for the second gen econolines.
Problem 1:
The E100 has a car bolt pattern 5x4.5 (which I am ok keeping). Apparently the king-pins on the E100 are .859" DIAMETER and 5 29/64" LENGTH. This is a problem as the F100 drop beams are 6.35 x .85 and they don't make drop beams for the Econolines.
DJM States: These King Pin beams drop the front of your F-100 3″. They fit all F-100′s from 1965 to 1979 doesn't matter if you have drum or disc brakes. If you have drum brakes and you want to upgrade to discs (very popular) all you have to do is use the disc brake spindle and king pins with these beams and away you go.
Has anyone lowered a second generation Econoline with any success?
Problem 2:
Depending on the lowering issue and my ability to retain the original spindles..... has anyone tried to use the set-up by D&D with the factory e100 spindles. Has anyone tried this on a twin-ibeam? will it work? I have also looked closely at the set-up used by Roger mingle but cannot find the template he used for the bracket he built (http://www.carnut.com/tech/econo/econo1.html).

I am looking wondering if there are any others options out there beyond (what I believe to be the option of using the DJM f100 drop beams and a 73-75 f100 disc brake set-up) although I could be totally wrong about that possibility too! I would like to get some help before purchasing any of these parts......
Thanks,
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: 69 Econoline Lowering/Drum/Disc Conversion

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:13 am

69E100 wrote:Hello,
I am new to this forum and would like some help. I have read many previous threads and found them really great and loaded with information. Here is the dilemma.....
I bought an early 69' Econoline shorty window van without knowing much about the econolines at all. It is a 240 six with a three on the tree. I have since learned a few things. What I would like to do is lower it and convert to front discs. I just finished a project on a 67' Merc Pick-up using DJM drop beams and a 73-75 Ford F100 discs (a lot of work but looks great). The Econoline appears to be a similar set-up but as I am doing my research, it is different animal in many ways! This appears to be a custom job in many ways. I thought that I would put this topic out there because I cannot find any information on lowering or drum/disc conversion for the second gen econolines.
Problem 1:
The E100 has a car bolt pattern 5x4.5 (which I am ok keeping). Apparently the king-pins on the E100 are .859" DIAMETER and 5 29/64" LENGTH. This is a problem as the F100 drop beams are 6.35 x .85 and they don't make drop beams for the Econolines.
DJM States: These King Pin beams drop the front of your F-100 3″. They fit all F-100′s from 1965 to 1979 doesn't matter if you have drum or disc brakes. If you have drum brakes and you want to upgrade to discs (very popular) all you have to do is use the disc brake spindle and king pins with these beams and away you go.
Has anyone lowered a second generation Econoline with any success?
Problem 2:
Depending on the lowering issue and my ability to retain the original spindles..... has anyone tried to use the set-up by D&D with the factory e100 spindles. Has anyone tried this on a twin-ibeam? will it work? I have also looked closely at the set-up used by Roger mingle but cannot find the template he used for the bracket he built (http://www.carnut.com/tech/econo/econo1.html).

I am looking wondering if there are any others options out there beyond (what I believe to be the option of using the DJM f100 drop beams and a 73-75 f100 disc brake set-up) although I could be totally wrong about that possibility too! I would like to get some help before purchasing any of these parts......
Thanks,
Tom

I haven't done this on an a Econoline but on a number of early Ford cars and F100's you used to be able to get stock beam axles dropped by severial different company's one was called Mordrop or Mor Drop. If you have the ablitys it is also possible to drop the axles yourself. The DJM axles might also work though I don't know if they are the same lenght as the E100 axles. For the disk conversion keeping the car wheel patteren try scarbird though using the F100 brakes could also work very well then redrill the rear axles to the 5 X 5.5 patteren. One other way you could do this and still keep the stock front suspention is to C the frame. Or you could use a front suspention clip that use copy's of newer parts like the Mustang II with the big brake kits that have the 5 bolt car patteren you would get the benefits of little less weight, plus a better ride, and handling too. Good luck :thumbup: : :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.