rear disc upgrade

Moderator: Mod Squad

James95lt1

rear disc upgrade

Post #1 by James95lt1 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 pm

So I've done alot of research only to become more confused. I have 79 F150 stock other than 3g alternator, stereo, gauges etc. I'm looking at explorer rear disc conversion. I'm okay with fabricating brake lines. So I need to delete the porportioning valve or gut it and add adjustable one. Will the explorer backing plate bolt up to the housing? Do I need the spacer? Rotors or axles need to be redrilled? Also I haven't found any info on the parking brake cables. Please any info will help.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: rear disc upgrade

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:56 pm

James95lt1 wrote:So I've done alot of research only to become more confused. I have 79 F150 stock other than 3g alternator, stereo, gauges etc. I'm looking at explorer rear disc conversion. I'm okay with fabricating brake lines. So I need to delete the porportioning valve or gut it and add adjustable one. Will the explorer backing plate bolt up to the housing? Do I need the spacer? Rotors or axles need to be redrilled? Also I haven't found any info on the parking brake cables. Please any info will help.

I will try and answer some of your questions. Your 1979 still used the 9 inch axle housing these axle housings used a few different sized wheel bearing depending on year and their intended use. Two of the most comman of the wheel bearing sizes were the small bearing used in most cars and many early pickup trucks (except hi performance car models) and the large bearing used in heavier duty use such as for station wagons, some Ranchero's and pickup trucks. To ID a small bearing the axle retainer plates used a 3/8 inch fine thread bolt the larger bearing uses a 7/16 inch fine thread. Most of the F150 from 1977 up used the larger 31 spline axels and the large wheel bearings. Yes you will likely need to redrill the rotors the older F150 pickup like yours still have an early Ford 5 X 5.5 wheel bolt patteren the newer Explorer uses a smaller car type patteren. I don't know if backing plates can bolt up or not my best guess is maybe though if you find one you can look at measure the center to center bolt spacing of the axle retainer bolts. On the spacer again you would need to measure the difference if any between the Expoler axel and your 9 inch axle. The parking brake cables would either need to be the modded explorer cables or have custom ones made in the lenght needed to fit your truck. Good luck on your build. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.