Upgrading to disks

Moderator: Mod Squad

StarDiero75

Upgrading to disks

Post #1 by StarDiero75 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:24 am

Howdy guys!

So i switched the rear end out for an 8" and so now im running 4 lug in the front and 5 lug in the back. My idea here is to use one of them disk conversion kits that use a 5 lug pattern and give me better braking.

I know ill need a proportioning valve and dual res master cylinder. But what i want to know is, would you all trust this kit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 0851869273

Thanks guys,
Ryan
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

SydneytheMustang

Re: Upgrading to disks

Post #2 by SydneytheMustang » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:36 pm

I had looked into this myself for my mustang with a similar ebay item. You can probably find it on the fleabay section here. I called the place and they are using a custom rotor and some parts off various vehicles. My mustang for instance had a caliper from a 94 Buick. With the smaller spindle still on the car you will have the same problems regardless with functionality. The better options are as follows:

Upgrade to
64-66 V8 spindles and use a drum to disc kit. Meh, still need a kit and its still customized to some regard
67 spindles and use factory style kit. Good if you can get the spindles cheap but the models used a 4 piston style mounted caliper that can be too big for 14 inch wheels
68-69 / 70-73 spindles. My recommendation. These use larger factory rotors (11+ inch) factory single piston floating calipers and all are carried at Autozone. Not sure how the ranchero was set up but with the mustang you will only need the outer tie rod for whatever year you get and you want the tie rod sleeve for that year too. Probably a good time to do the inner tie rod which is still your current years version. The ranchero may have different geometry but I doubt Ford all of a sudden decided to start making custom front steering across models if it could be helped. Swap the MC to a dual bowl with a new proportioning valve and call it a day.

Added bonus - the 1970 and up are the largest spindle of all options = more strength. I've searched high and low and I have still never seen a photo or heard of anyone who snapped one of those spindles.

StarDiero75

Post #3 by StarDiero75 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks a lot man! I know of a 68 Falcon at a wrecking yard that i can get the spindles off of. I actually just rebuilt my front end last year so that kinda sucks i have to get new tie rods.

So is the braketry available to buy if can get the spindles? Obviously the rotor and calipers are
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

Crosley
VIP Member

Post #4 by Crosley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:47 pm

I found a manual disc brake set from a 1976 Maverick for my 1962 Falcon. Master cyl , prop valve , spindles, rotors, calipers.

I bought new upper control arms for early Mustang, the Falcon upper control arm ball joint is wrong for the Maverick. For the tie rods, I bought a pair of sleeves that made my 6cyl steering to fit the Maverick bottom spindle hole.

i have also read that Granada rotors & bearing will fit your drum brake spindles... 1963 up to early 1970's spindles as I recall. Then a caliper bracket is needed , with matching calipers.
Tony in AZ...

"130 mph is known as first gear at the Bonneville Salt Flats"