POR15 & Lizard Skin

Moderator: Mod Squad

ssg66stang

POR15 & Lizard Skin

Post #1 by ssg66stang » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm looking to redo my interior. I have purchased Lizard Skin Sound Deadener and their Ceramic Heat Coating, but before I apply the Lizard Skin I need to prep the floor boards and remove some surface rust. My current plan is to remove the interior and wire wheel the floor pans, vacuum all the dust out and then wipe them down with lacquer thinner (lacquer thinner because I have some on hand and it will evaporate quickly). Then I plan on brushing on the POR15 (firewall to tail light panel in the trunk). Should I cover he top of the gas tank? Insides of the quarter panels?

I know once POR15 is dry it is hard for other substances to adhere to it so should I spray the Lizard Skin Sound Deadener while the POR15 is still tacky? Or should I wait until it completely dries and then scuff it with sandpaper or a wire wheel before applying the Lizard Skin?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with using these two products together?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? Any lessons learned or tips would be great?

Thanks
Aaron

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: POR15 & Lizard Skin

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:16 pm

ssg66stang wrote:I'm looking to redo my interior. I have purchased Lizard Skin Sound Deadener and their Ceramic Heat Coating, but before I apply the Lizard Skin I need to prep the floor boards and remove some surface rust. My current plan is to remove the interior and wire wheel the floor pans, vacuum all the dust out and then wipe them down with lacquer thinner (lacquer thinner because I have some on hand and it will evaporate quickly). Then I plan on brushing on the POR15 (firewall to tail light panel in the trunk). Should I cover he top of the gas tank? Insides of the quarter panels?

I know once POR15 is dry it is hard for other substances to adhere to it so should I spray the Lizard Skin Sound Deadener while the POR15 is still tacky? Or should I wait until it completely dries and then scuff it with sandpaper or a wire wheel before applying the Lizard Skin?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with using these two products together?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? Any lessons learned or tips would be great?

Thanks
Aaron

Hi Aaron, as far as your plan for prep it's a good one. Sorry don't have the first hand experience using Por15 or Lizard Skin. Though I used most every type of coatings, epoxy's, and paints. On coating the inside of the quarter panels, inside the doors, firewall, and the bottom of roof, plus under the car I have used the spray type of under coatings and then sometimes painted over it with regular body paint if it shows like under the cars floor. This undercoating gives the car a more quiet solid sound and reduces that tinny sound so yes the Por15 and Lizard Skin will very likely work well for that too. Yes I would paint the top of the fuel tank too as long as you unbolt it and remove it from car first outherwise if you should ever have to take it out in the futhure it will be very hard to do. Good luck on your project. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.