Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Dashpad repair - glue recommendations for brackets within foam

Moderator: Mod Squad

HondaSL

Dashpad repair - glue recommendations for brackets within foam

Post #1 by HondaSL » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:19 pm

The lateral mounting brackets fell off my dashed when removing it. The 15 y/o foam seems to be in good shape overall so i wanted to save the cash & epoxy/cement/glue the 2 side pieces back onto their landing pad.

Has anyone had good luck with doing this? Any adhesive recommendations that will hold bind the metal to the foam strong enough for the nut torquing & vibrations?

I figure with some good glue & scraping away some of the old foam to get a "fresh" showing of foam prior to glueing would be good-enough prep to ensure maximum adhesion.

The car is a '66 six w/ the standard dashpad repop.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Dashpad repair - glue recommendations for brackets within foam

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:34 pm

HondaSL wrote:The lateral mounting brackets fell off my dashed when removing it. The 15 y/o foam seems to be in good shape overall so i wanted to save the cash & epoxy/cement/glue the 2 side pieces back onto their landing pad.

Has anyone had good luck with doing this? Any adhesive recommendations that will hold bind the metal to the foam strong enough for the nut torquing & vibrations?

I figure with some good glue & scraping away some of the old foam to get a "fresh" showing of foam prior to glueing would be good-enough prep to ensure maximum adhesion.

The car is a '66 six w/ the standard dashpad repop.

A two part epoxy could work like JB weld ect. I have used them with good results. However if these mounting tabs are attaching to the foam pad rather than the dash pads metal backing not so sure it's going to last very long. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

HondaSL

Post #3 by HondaSL » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks great idea. I was thinking about JBweld. I would be connecting a metal backplate to the old inside foam. I was doing google research & came across Weldwood landau top and trim adhesive as some pretty sticky stuff.

I found their non-industrial version at ACE, but i am not sure how that would work in comparison. This option is their contact cement formula. I noticed 3M made a super 77 adhesive which also looks pricey.
Any one have any experience with these products & get noteworthy results?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 am

I also have experience in using the 3M 77 contact cement to install door, trunk, ect. weather stripping it works excellent for that purpose. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

HondaSL

Post #5 by HondaSL » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 pm

I won't know how it holds up until a few years after mounting, but here is what I ended up doing. 1st thing was to clean up the foam with a drimmel & sanding drum on it at medium speed to remove the foam on top, but not melt it. Then JB weld and hold each side with strong pressure for as long as it took pandora to play 2 songs.

After 2 days to dry & cure, i then took surfboard fiberglass weave and folded it over to create double thick layers and pierced the bolt through the cloth (be sure to tape the bolt thread up well prior with blue masking tape). Then apply the surfboard epoxy resin mixture to the cloth & let it dry. Onto the other side... thats all it takes.