Powder Coating

Moderator: Mod Squad

CobraSix
VIP Member

Powder Coating

Post #1 by CobraSix » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:43 am

Can this be done without special equipment in a garage?

I'm going to be tearing about my suspension this winter and I'd really like to start making it look really nice.

Slade
Slade
My Website
My How to's

Engine: 200 CI, Oz 250 modified for 4V Holley 390CFM, DS II Ignition, 40kV Flamethrower, MSD Digital 6+
Drivetrain: Cable Clutch, V-8 T5, 8" 5 Lug Rear End, 5-Lug SSBC Front Brakes, 3.40:1 Posi

chazthephoenix

Post #2 by chazthephoenix » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:17 am

get an old stove...because it is toxic

but do it...it is worth it

Mustang196t8

Post #3 by Mustang196t8 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:04 pm

I know Eastwood makes the 'Hotcoat' stuff for this purpose... you need a electric oven to bake it in (get an old used one like Chaz said, you can't use your kitchen one and expect to eat food cooked out of it anymore hehe)

http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemTy ... itemID=458

Factoryblue

Post #4 by Factoryblue » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:47 pm

I do alot of small powdercoatinf jobs. Make sure that when you go to coat the parts that they are hospital clean. Find sombody with a sand blaster and wear new rubber gloves when you handle the parts. Usually i sand blast, clean with a wax and grease remover, then bake the parts for about 15 minutes prior to coating. Here's an intake i coated for my Lightning(for sale). If want i have a powder caoting gun I could part with and chassis black powder. factoryblue2@yahoo.com
2004 Mustang GT
2007 Fusion SEL
1989 Thunderbird SC
1967 F-100 Step side

OpelGT+3point3

Re: Powder Coating

Post #5 by OpelGT+3point3 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:29 am

I used my kitchen gas stove. I put down aluminum foil on the door while I was putting in the coated parts. otherwise bits of powder will fall off and melt onto your oven door and oven bottom shelf. cover the bottom shelf with sheet metal or aluminum foil. Sheet metal works good and just keep reusing it to protect the door while inserting the parts, and the bottom shelf. Powder will fall off when you close the door. Then my gf would bake cakes and brownies, etc. No problems. Only caution is to vent the fumes out of your kitchen while the parts are baking. The Sears gun works fine because it has it's own built in blower. No compressor needed. Sandblast the parts and blow them off with filtered air. Compressor moisture will cause craters. Acetone and lacquer thinner will leave a residue that will crater(bubbles c0ming up thru the melting coating). If you must wash the parts, use hot water and Dawn. Dry them quickly with air pressure. I haven't found any type of petroleum distillate that won't crater. I have coated valve covers, wheels, trim, intakes, steel, aluminum, polished aluminum, iron, chrome oil pans and covers...