Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

I suck at welding!

Moderator: Mod Squad

falcon fanatic

I suck at welding!

Post #1 by falcon fanatic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:14 pm

G'dang, this job is going to be impossible unless I can up my chops. Honestly, I can weld a perfect, pretty seam every time when I'm working with scrap, but once I put the MIG gun to the car I get sputtery, lumpy welds that don't stick, but I still manage to burn holes through the floorpan. WTF??? :evil:

Doesn't help that I'm lying on my back. I really need to farm this job out, but there is no way i can afford it. Grrrr. physical reality can be so unforgiving.
'63 Futura Convertible. Disc/drum, Bilsteins, beefy swaybars, #480 springs, roller or spherical everything up front, HD shackles on stock springs out back. Megasquirt FI on ported, big valve aussie head w/ roller rockers; 10:1 6000rpm engine; 264/274-12*; C-4, Maverick 8" 3.25 W/trac-lok and perimeter frame inside the unibody. More to come...
http://falconfanatic.blogspot.com/

1966Mustang
Administrator

Re: I suck at welding!

Post #2 by 1966Mustang » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:55 pm

I'll assume you've cleaned the metal up realllly good, removing all paint and primer and grease and grime and galvanizing (if it's there). Also, what kind of wire and gage are you using? .035 is too much, you should probably be using .023 or .030. What gas?
Also, if an extension cord is being used, make sure that it's as short and as thick as possible - you could be losing amps, and could possibly cook the extension cord. A dedicated circuit is probably best, or at least one with nothing heavy on it. Make sure your liner is in good shape and you have a good tip. The angle between the ground, your bent arm, and what you're welding could be causing the wire to stutter, or you could have too much pressure on the feed rollers, and too much feed speed. My rule of thumb is that you should be able to hold your hand in front of the wire and let it hit you and it should bend (without puncturing your paw). Tack the piece in really well, and get the tacked seams as flat and as close together as possible.
Also, where you are getting holes burnt through, you can fill them in by clamping a beefy block of aluminium or copper (better) as a backing and filling the hole.

- Perry
'65 Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Support our forum:
Like us on Facebook, watch us on YouTube, Buy FordSix Gear , Make a Donation!

Frankenstang

Post #3 by Frankenstang » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:07 am

falcon fanatic wrote:G'dang, this job is going to be impossible unless I can up my chops...I really need to farm this job out, but there is no way i can afford it. Grrrr. physical reality can be so unforgiving.

My brother has the mig experience and he ramrodded the patching of my pans, but I wanna say at some point I thought he mentioned spitting and sputtering could mean not enough gas (however, I'm relying on my unlearned recollection here so you should probably just call this a guess...running any fans right on top of what your welding?) If so, think that's a no, no...but your a helluva braver man than I, gunga din :thumbup: good luck and hope you get the hang of the right combo.
I gotta learn to mig :roll:

1966Mustang wrote:Also, where you are getting holes burnt through, you can fill them in by clamping a beefy block of aluminium or copper (better) as a backing and filling the hole.

Got me curious how this works...will the mig wire not bond to the aluminum or copper?
-Robert
66 Mustang 200+30, 67 BH, 89 4cyl T-5, 71 Comet 4 lug 8" 3:1rear, 85 T-Bird v6 DS, 10 Mallory Unilite Hyfire VI-A, 08 Vaporizer 1bbl, 68 Cougar 2" exhuast,65 pipe, 74 Mav man disc m/c & Scarebird(87 Stanza rotors 89 Cavalier calipers), 73 Datsun 240z Appliance Wire Mags, 03 Mustang Leather seats
All in one car! Johnny Cash would be proud...I got it One Piece at a Time

CNC-Dude

Post #4 by CNC-Dude » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:12 pm

[/quote]

Got me curious how this works...will the mig wire not bond to the aluminum or copper?[/quote]
No, the aluminum or copper is a dissimilar metal to the mig wire and steel floor pan, and will not bond or fuse to it. In the same fashion, you can clamp (2) pieces of aluminum in an edge to edge fashion(butt joint) to a steel table, and the aluminum, the filler rod or wire will not stick to the steel table if you burn thru the aluminum sheets.

Rinke

Post #5 by Rinke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:22 am

Hi,

I suck(ed) at welding too,
But after a one day course in automotive sheetmetal welding I managed to complete my floor pan repair.

I welded my floorpans from the inside out, no lying on the backside for me fortunately.
I used the spot weld method, punching small holes in one side of the sheetmetal, and welding those holes, with a gas welder.
It worked great, and it looks similar to the original welds.
Only when welding my cargo floor I had to redrill the holes, because I used thicker sheet there, dus to shrink the welds came loose, so I had to enlarge the holes.
And I did not replace the entire floorpan, I just used repair panels on the rusted thru areas :!: .

In the end I ended up welding upside down, but the previous exercise gave me enough confidence and experience to try it and not to drip moulted metal on myself and actually produce something that the bodyshop the car ended up to be painted was mildly to reasonably impressed about :) .

My experience when burning thru the material is that you either have the welding torch not properly adjusted (thread flow or amps), or the metal is not beefy enough and you should probably cut an extra section. Believe me, it sucks big time to have to cut out a piece of just welded in material, after discovering that the metal that looked fine to weld the patch onto, was actually almost crispier than the part you just cut out... :bang:
It sure makes for some interesting future car repair archeology :rolflmao:

I've got some pic's from work in progress, if interested I could mail them.

But I still can't weld really good :(

Good Luck,

Rinke
64 Falcon Station Deluxe
3 on the tree
3.50:1 rear end
Been collecting dust & adding rust for 30 years
Goal: to keep it all working from okt 2008 till all eternity

falcon fanatic

Post #6 by falcon fanatic » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:09 pm

I've decided my main problem is that the surface I'm welding to is just not clean enough. It's cleaner, waaaay cleaner than I started, but between the rubber undercoating (evil stuff) and 46 years of road grime, there is more to go. Gonna try a serious scrubdown with Marine Clean. Hopefully that will get it.
'63 Futura Convertible. Disc/drum, Bilsteins, beefy swaybars, #480 springs, roller or spherical everything up front, HD shackles on stock springs out back. Megasquirt FI on ported, big valve aussie head w/ roller rockers; 10:1 6000rpm engine; 264/274-12*; C-4, Maverick 8" 3.25 W/trac-lok and perimeter frame inside the unibody. More to come...

1966Mustang
Administrator

Post #7 by 1966Mustang » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:52 pm

A big coarse wire wheel and a big angle grinder to turn it is your friend...

"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses." - Norm Abram
'65 Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Support our forum:
Like us on Facebook, watch us on YouTube, Buy FordSix Gear , Make a Donation!

falcon fanatic

Post #8 by falcon fanatic » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Oh, I assure you I am well acquainted wit the wire wheel, and it is well acquainted with the bottom of my car (I think they're dating). At this point I've negotiated a favorable deal with a local body shop to do new well wells, new rocker panels, and go over the whole car for dings rust and sand and spray the whole car. It's a slippery slope... 8)