'62 Ranchero - originally w/o hinge springs, w/ hood prop?

Moderator: Mod Squad

62Ranchero200

'62 Ranchero - originally w/o hinge springs, w/ hood prop?

Post #1 by 62Ranchero200 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:15 pm

Greetings Ford Six Fans,

When I purchased the Ranchero 4 1/2 years ago, it had hinges with springs and no prop rod. I assumed that this was the stock configuration.

The hood hinges and springs were rusty when I purchased the car, and look especially bad now that the engine compartment has been detailed. In a recent incident, the hinges were bent slightly, although the hood will still close.

Was considering replacing the hinges, and looked in my Ford shop manual (60-63 Falcon). I was surprised to see that the manual mentioned a prop rod - apparently the original hinges did not have springs, and the Ranchero originally used a prop rod. Can anyone verify this?

I'm weighing whether to get new hinges with springs, or to install new hinges without springs with a prop rod (I think the tension from the springs is what causes some hood misalignment and closing issues). I may opt for front hood pins as well, for absolute security that the hood won't open at speed, and also for security against engine compartment theft.

Thanks,
Bob
62 Ranchero, 252 cid, 300 rods, RaceTek pstns, ARP mains bolts & studs, balanced & blueprinted, CI AL head, 1.6 adj rckrs, Smith Bros, 274/274/108 cam, CI int, Holley 500, DSII, CI SS hdrs, PowerMaster strtr and 1wire alt, Optima, V8 rad, T-5z, 10" organic clutch, 5 lug 8" w/3.80 Trac Loc, rear drums, front 5 lug discs, Centerlines. Next: ?.

jamyers
VIP Member

Re: '62 Ranchero - originally w/o hinge springs, w/ hood pro

Post #2 by jamyers » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Yup, '62's had NO hood hinge springs, just hinges and a prop rod.

I'm leery of hinges with springs, because when they work well they're ok, but if they get worn they don't want to let the hood down that last little bit, plus if they get stiff (wear, dirt, no lube) you can fold your hood up trying to open or close it.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

62Ranchero200

Re: '62 Ranchero - originally w/o hinge springs, w/ hood pro

Post #3 by 62Ranchero200 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:14 am

I've decided to replace my hinges with springless ones and install a prop rod. May also install hood pins to insure that the hood can't fly open even if the latch fails.

Thanks
Bob
62 Ranchero, 252 cid, 300 rods, RaceTek pstns, ARP mains bolts & studs, balanced & blueprinted, CI AL head, 1.6 adj rckrs, Smith Bros, 274/274/108 cam, CI int, Holley 500, DSII, CI SS hdrs, PowerMaster strtr and 1wire alt, Optima, V8 rad, T-5z, 10" organic clutch, 5 lug 8" w/3.80 Trac Loc, rear drums, front 5 lug discs, Centerlines. Next: ?.