Body Blasting?

Moderator: Mod Squad

DannyB-67

Body Blasting?

Post #1 by DannyB-67 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:40 am

So I have been doing a considerable amount of work to my 67 200ci inline mustang. I have come to the conclusion that it may be time to re-do the paint. I was wandering if anyone had any ideas/comments/concerns about having the body blasted first. The body is in good shape and not cancerous. The paint job is a bout a $500.00 job or a 60 footer. Wanting to go from red to a Dark blue with boss stripes. Just wandering if anyone had experience with this idea? Maybe sand/steel/glass/bead shot? cant make the inside and motor look good with out a nice paint job. Thanks DannyB
67 Mustang, 200 CI inline six, holly 2bl, Open headers, front disc brakes, stock bottom end...Just the beginning!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Body Blasting?

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:17 pm

If you can find a blaster thats knowledgeable because Its really easy to warp the sheet metal on the later model stuff using to much air pressure. I have used most all of the mediums over the years (also the ChemStrip dip too) and my Opinion Walnut shells or Baking Soda is the way to go now. The Aircraft stripper also works real good too, and then you could just use a DA Sander and a bunch of sand paper. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

DannyB-67

Post #3 by DannyB-67 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:22 am

Okay thanks! I work in a steel plant that has a blasting process for our 1" plate and they can warp that with too much pressure I can only imagine sheet metal :lol: My father has a small soda blaster so ill try to "borrow" it for a while.
67 Mustang, 200 CI inline six, holly 2bl, Open headers, front disc brakes, stock bottom end...Just the beginning!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:11 am

:rolflmao: warping 1 inch plate now that I would like to see :wow: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #5 by CoupeBoy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:36 pm

On another forum, I asked about a guy who had sand blasted his 73-79 SuperCab (extended cab)
Rust to an "Oregon oakie" is just valuable patina -- FTE.com
Notmeofficer wrote:Sandblasting 101

Stay off the panel for extended periods.. shoot straight on,, move move move
I use 90 psi 25 cfm 1/2" commercial hose, 1/8" long tips out of a 150 pound pressure blaster ( Bad Boys blaster,, big chinese versions).. its all driven by a 10hp compressor

I havent had any warping issues with this setup whatsover

When I owned a powdercoating company we had a 50 hp Ingersol rand screw type compressor and a 2 1/2 inch hose running plastic media.. that could warp a panel.. the BB.. not so.. although I imagine new sheet metal might have an issue
I have not yet tried this myself.

OpelGT+3point3

Post #6 by OpelGT+3point3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:18 pm

I had an old Dodge truck once; probably about a 50. It had chips in the paint on the driver door that had surface rust in them. I figured I'd sandblast them rather than use a chemical because there was some slight pitting and I wanted to be sure to get it all before I painted. I had a little Sears single cylinder compressor with about 125 pound max, and just a siphon fed gun. When I blocksanded the door, I found that every place I had sandblasted was now raised to a peak. I had to knock them inward and fill them. You can tell a car was sandblasted because the doors and quarters/fenders stretch and the fender gaps are tighter in the middle than top and bottom; because they aren't reinforced there.

Pmelsness90

Post #7 by Pmelsness90 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:53 pm

When I get body's stripped my go to way is acid dipping but the vehicle has to be 100% disassembled cleans everything perfectly, the next way I really like is dustless blasting uses crushed glass and water with a rust inhibitor in the water so it won't flash rust this way of blasting is by far the best everything stays cold an warps nothing. Not sure if anyone in your area does that but wouldn't hurt to check.

frozenrabbit

Post #8 by frozenrabbit » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:55 am

A thing that happens with dustless is that it the garnet medium packs in the frame rails, roof rails, and in between every panel. I worked on a '67 Camaro that had been dustless blasted about a year before, easily removed 20-30LBS of medium from the frame rails. Goes in wet, packs in, and dries in place.

A bad dustless blaster guy can also warp the sheet metal. I watched the guy ruin not 1 but 2 original '70 Mach 1 hoods for his own car. I contacted Dustless Blasting to see if there was anyone else close to me, they referred me to the exact same guy......