Granada 4 dr sdn Bucket Seats in 64 Futura HT?

Moderator: Mod Squad

thisoldfalcon

Granada 4 dr sdn Bucket Seats in 64 Futura HT?

Post #1 by thisoldfalcon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:10 pm

I have a '64 Falcon hardtop that was a bench seat car and the previous owner put a set of '64-66 Mustang buckets seats into it. I'm considering buying the bucket seats and back seat out of a 1981 Fairmont sedan because the style of the front seats ( aside from having head rests ) is close to the original Falcon bucket seats but the Granada is a four door which means the seats do not tilt forward to allow passengers into the rear seat. Can those seats be modified to silt forward? There is some fore and aft movement in the seat backs but when I looked at the seats, I never had the time to a lot of looking.

The car with the seats in it is in a junk yard 50 miles from where I live, so I do not want to waste the time or fuel to make the trip, buy the seats ( $100.00 for the front and rear buckets and cushions ) only to discover that the buckets can't be altered to have the backs fold forward. Has anyone encountered this issue? The floor of the Fairmont is shaped a bit differently from the Falcon and I do not have the proper seat mount brackets for the '64 so I'll have to improvise.

The Fairmont rear seat cushion measures close to the Falcon so I am thinking of taking the cushions from both cars to an upholstery shop and having the covers from the Fairmont fitted to the stock Falcon seat frame. The seats are a darker red than i would like, but my car has a red interior and they will look 500% better than the seats that are in the Falcon now. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Granada 4 dr sdn Bucket Seats in 64 Futura HT?

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Yes you could likely make the Fairmont seats tilt forward but it would be a lot of work and require welding to the seat frames. So if you are going to pay someone else to do that you would be better off finding a set out of a Tudor car. Why not put that money you would be spending to buy and then mod another set of seats towards having the Mustang buckets Re upholstered? A good Upholstery Shop could also reshape them and add extra padding too. By the way you can get the factory type upholstery for your rear seat for about 200.00. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.