Gun sight fender ornaments

Moderator: Mod Squad

Spaceage60

Gun sight fender ornaments

Post #1 by Spaceage60 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:12 am

Hi all, 3-ish questions....
Again, this is my 60' Comet 2 door.
The car is in the prepping process for paint, yesterday I removed the chrome trim that runs along the side of the car back to the tail fins.. my first question is how does one remove the gun sight fender ornaments? I can see through a small access hole that's it bolted to the fender. I really don't want to sand around, want to remove.

My second question has to do with the doors. I've pulled the door panels off, replacing the belt line felts and weather stripping on both side while I'm at it. While the doors are apart, I cleaned and vacuumed the door bottoms and uncovered the water drainage slots. I then pulled the back seat out and removed the side panels to clean those as well, again, 57 years of dust, dirt, some tree leaves and chunks of weather stripping. Where does the water go? Didn't see any drain holes. I want to address this cuz this car came from a dry climate to the wet northwest, this car will see rain at some point, I don't want water to pool so I need to find where the water drain holes are.. help?

Lastly, while cruising last summer, I discovered my wing windows won't stay open on speeds of 30mph or greater. Does the rubber weather stripping provide the friction to keep the wing glass open? I've never had to fix wing windows... but I might as well replace before I paint the car right? Are the wing window rubber seals difficult to replace on this car?

Cheers!

62Cometman

Re: Gun sight fender ornaments

Post #2 by 62Cometman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 am

Hi there space, first question there is a threaded stud and nut and then a locating pin that hold the gunsight ornaments to the fender just remove the nut and then I had to "gently" tap out the ornament with a long punch and a soft faced hammer, as for your second question i cant say for sure that the rear windows every had drainage holes or at least that i ever saw, lastly the wing windows get their tension from a bushing inside the pivot itself my car still has the orignal window stripping and cracked and probably doesnt seal very well but the windows will stay open past 60 and take a little effort to open and close so it sounds like that bushing is perhaps worn or missing how hard is it to open your wing windows??
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, Dagenham Trans, 2.83:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)

19Spaceage60

Post #3 by 19Spaceage60 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks for the good info 62Cometman, how does one get at that nut to remove gun sight fender ornimants?

19Spaceage60

Post #4 by 19Spaceage60 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi 62'
So after thinking about this.. and re-reading your post to me, is this "nut" accessible under the car, in front of the tire on both sides? I looked and didn't see a nut.. I'll bet it's buried under the undercoating and 57 years of dirt.. I'll scratch up there and look again..
Thanks again

62Cometman

Post #5 by 62Cometman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 pm

It should be there i know mine was covered with some 50 year old undercoating but it was there a long extension and a deep well socket did it for me i took it off with the wheels still on the car, granted they were the little 13 inch stockers then but it worked now would also be a good time to get a new gasket for them and if your pocket book can handle it have them blasted and re-chromed, mine are starting to show pitting and chipping but I just couldn't stomach the near 200 a piece they wanted to charge me to have them walnut shelled and re-chromed
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, Dagenham Trans, 2.83:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)

Spaceage60

Post #6 by Spaceage60 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Yikes! $200 each?
Thans not cheap my friend. The previous owner lowered this car 3" with some cool retro hubcaps, dual exhaust.. so its the "RatRod" theme. I'm going to take down that road further.. I'm seeking a RatRod paint job (a nice one)... make her a nice summer cruiser..

Thanks for your help!

Dave~

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #7 by powerband » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 am

Reaching up under the front fender. the Gunsight fastener is right under the front rad support splash shield rubber gasket. Easier if fender is off to get at but can be accessed if road debris is removed.

have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."