Maaco paint jobs

Moderator: Mod Squad

'74Trucker

Maaco paint jobs

Post #1 by '74Trucker » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:23 am

Anyone used Maaco before? I'm thinking about doing all of the bodywork/prep on my truck and handing it off to them for the paint (mid-level package in white, $550).

:?:

Asa
Location: Tampa, Tallahassee, Hangin out in some Florida woods somewhere

Post #2 by Asa » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:33 am

everything i've ever heard about Maaco is bad, very bad

just from that i wouldn't recommend them, but doing all the prep work is a good call, because of that you should be able to find a pretty good price elsewhere
you get what you pay for, just remember that
Right and Wrong are just words, what matters is what you do

Susie - a work in progress
Clyde - ya mule!

Falcon62
VIP Member

Post #3 by Falcon62 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:12 am

Well, you have to know the rest of the story with regard to Maaco. While it's true if you take your car to them and have them do one of their $249 specials (or whatever the price is these days) you won't have much for what you spend. The reason for the poor quality reputation is to paint a car that cheap, they use low end acrylic enamel, and do little to no prep, so the end product doesn't look like a factory job.

However, if you do the bodywork (and do a good job!), and you opt up for a urethane paint, you could end up with a very nice finish. Their painters are actually very good, they have to be due to the volume of cars that are pushed through their shop on a daily basis. If they weren't, they'd be 'outta there'.

Better than 90% of a quality paint job is the hours and hours of prep work getting the surface ready to accept paint.

Now, I don't think I'd take my car there, but then again, I'm already building my experience level at doing this for a living. :wink:
Phil, USAF Retired
'61 Futura 2dr
'62 Sports Futura, 200/C4
ASE Master Re-Certified Collision & Refinishing Technician

'74Trucker

Post #4 by '74Trucker » Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:10 pm

I know what everyone has HEARD, but I am looking for actual experiences with MAACO.

I have painted several cars before and it's a pain in the ass, especially when you don't have a paint booth/computerized mixing station. And since I am not building a show truck necessarily, I thought MAACO would be a viable alternative to spending thousands of dollars on a truck not worth that ammount...

Falcon62
VIP Member

Post #5 by Falcon62 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:56 pm

'74Trucker wrote:I know what everyone has HEARD, but I am looking for actual experiences with MAACO.

Sorry, then I can't help you. :roll:
Phil, USAF Retired
'61 Futura 2dr
'62 Sports Futura, 200/C4
ASE Master Re-Certified Collision & Refinishing Technician

LaGrasta
VIP Member

Post #6 by LaGrasta » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:29 am

I've had one car done there. I stripped everything and they sprayed it with my explicit instructions, no runs, no orange peel. I was happy with the results. As it turned out, my prep wasn't the best and I started to get wheel well rust within four years. I was living in Ohio at the time. The paint really did come out good though and I paid for the cheap paint. I believe what Falcon62 said about the laborers.
1963 1/2 Falcon 170/C4/8" (alt, a/c, Petronix/42v coil/8mm wires, 16" electric fan, electric fuel pump, Holley 1940, K&N Harley air filter, power dual m/c, 11" disc, 3" drop, Shelby drop, white tuck/roll, Moon steering wheel, '59 Caddy tail lights, fishtail exhaust tip, shaved trim, handles, cowl, fuel, dash, 4" radius trunk/door corners, power windows, 600w iPod system)

RogueS

Post #7 by RogueS » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:22 pm

my car = previous owner + crappy bondo job + maaco paint job = crappy paintjob that flakes and has rust bubbles coming through in the rear quarters

broncr
VIP Member

Post #8 by broncr » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:49 am

[quote="'74Trucker"]I know what everyone has HEARD, but I am looking for actual experiences with MAACO.
quote]
ACTUAL EXPERIENCE:

My wife had an '86 chebby wagon with the base coat/clear coat that had pretty much peeled off - except for where the roof rack had preserved it. Took it to mucco, paid extra to have it sanded & a few small dings addressed - then painted. I removed the roof rack so they could concentrate....well, when we got it back, it looked better - but you could still see the old clear coat lines on the roof -as if it hadn't been touched, much less worked on for the extra 4 hours of bodywork we paid for...I thought we got ripped off, my wife was just happy to have a "better looking" vehicle...

Their customer response card netted no reply - I'll NEVER go back too mucco - though I've heard they do have some talented painters in some parts of the world - and doing all you own prep - then having them PAINT ONLY has gotten a FEW satisfied customers.

Broncr
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

kywoodwrkr

Macco

Post #9 by kywoodwrkr » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:07 pm

We also have a lot of similar paint shops here in Louisville.
They will try and compete with Macco if they can.
Ask to check the outward bound vehicles to see what you think of their jobs.
When I have been specific on quality they priced themselves out of the market.
FWIW DaveP

broncr
VIP Member

Post #10 by broncr » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:59 pm

My insurance guy is into restoring '50's stuff. They look pretty good, so I asked him if he did his own body work. He said "no" and then, to my surprise, said he had it done at Maaco - the exact one I had been ripped by. 'Seems there was a change in management, not long after my experience & it is now reputedly one of the best Maaco's in the country.

I still don't think I could bring myself to taking my Bronco there, maybe just for an estimate...

Broncr
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

Domlog

Post #11 by Domlog » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:21 pm

I had my 82' F-150 stepside done by Macco. I opted for the high level urethane paint and did all of the prep work myself, alot of wet sanding. I was really supprised by the way it turned out, minus the color, bad choice of an off-white hue by me. I had one problem of the roof of the cab with a small spot of orange peel 1"x1" so nothing to worry about, you cant see it unless you look real close or run your hand over it. I've had it for a year and it seems to be holding up perfectly really not bad for $700. Just be sure you dont go with the cheap acrylic paints they have. The manager I talked to at the place said the stuff was junk and he'd never recommended putting it on a car. The guy seemed honest so I went with it and am happy with the results. I really think it depeneds on what kind of franchise you get, as with everything.

OpelGT+3point3

Re: Maaco paint jobs

Post #12 by OpelGT+3point3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:57 pm

I love acrylic enamel. I follow the instructions to the letter--three full wet coats. No tack coat bs, No color sanding or buffing afterwards...but then I sprayed for three years in a furniture factory...so that helped.