Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

Story of my '95 deathtrap

Moderator: Mod Squad

95cranker

Story of my '95 deathtrap

Post #1 by 95cranker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 am

About two years ago I got my first obs ford, it didn't start nor did it stop. But something appealed to me about this one, looking past all of the previous owners "fixes" and the major paint fade and broken windshield i saw potential. After I bought it for 200 bucks after some major remodeling of said front end it was mine. Loading it on to the bed took 3 hours because my winch failed me, but the truck was uphill and chocking it until it was on the trailer did the trick. Anyway, my first problem to fix was the brakes, as far as I could tell the brake line was used as a hookup point and snapped, simple fix drained and blew out the caliper and installed the line. Next was the starter issue, checked all of the connections, they were good, so my culprit was the starter, brought it to my local autopart chain, they said it was good, but it wasn't that's what i'll say.

95cranker

Re: Story of my '95 deathtrap

Post #2 by 95cranker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 am

Continuing on, as I get it ready for its first start, I dump gas into the tank, thats when I hear splashing. I look under there and see that the filler hose is a split and rotten radiator hose. Not wanting to deal with this yet I just get a funnel and hose and fill the tank. I then checked all of the fluids, and crawled into the cab with my trusty screwdriver, because that's what starts this truck 8) . I crank it and 5 seconds later it fires up, pretty cool until it started surging and dying. That was the throttlebody gasket. After fixing all of this I thought it would be a good idea to test drive the truck, It moves 5 feet and dies, wont start up. That's when I pushed it into a corner, got parts for a tuneup, and tried starting it again, it does but thats after cycling the key 50 times, I guess that made me go nuts, so I do a clutch job, new oil pan gasket, and rear main. Pilot bearing just has to be stuck in there during my clutch change so I end up spending two days on gravel chiseling this baby out. Got a new one in, and installed everything else and filled her up.

95cranker

Post #3 by 95cranker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:11 am

Everyone knows that when something is going too well somethings going to mess up. Thats exactly what happened today as i'm about to start it for its first time in a year and a half. My lock cylinder freezes up and refuses to turn I'm really wrenching on this thing and the brand spanking new key breaks in the column :bang: . So now i have to get a new column because that one now has a key stuck in it along with four inches of play in the wheel. Keep in mind that I live in alaska and im nowhere near a boneyard.

54-4x4

Post #4 by 54-4x4 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:44 am

Looks like you bought a POS.

95cranker

Post #5 by 95cranker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Pretty much, but it's my POS, i'm only in 700 bucks and that puts me ahead budget wise. Where I live a nice and rusty car that has no mechanical problems sells for 4000 I'm not one to pay that much. I've gone through every system, and made sure that they would work, all that i've got to do now is get that new column and hope that she starts.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #6 by B RON CO » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi,It sounds like you are getting your moneys worth, Often ties the key is hard to turn. Next time that happens, try turning the steering wheel one way or another. Sometimes the lock pin is binding in the lock plate. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

sdiesel

Post #7 by sdiesel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:47 am

very entertaining. nice writing
I spent 5 hours one day at the farm with a key and tumbler.
no fun. but the rig was my 35 mile ride home.

column is shot?
can't just remove tumbler and turn it by its wings?
try to not tear the rubber seal around column.
where it goes through fire wall.
I hear they are unobtainable.

and u have the zf 5 transmission? check the rear housing for cracks up near top.housing halves are unobtanium. be sure ur motor mounts and trans mounts are ford and in good condition.
these will cause the trans to crack if they are deteriortaed. can't hurt to support the t case either to take pressure off the housing

pilot bushing: fill hole with grease. use clutch align tool.
with hammer drive it into pilot bushing. hydraulic pressure pushes bushing out

oh boy have I been there good luck, and ur gonna make something out of it om sure.
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

95cranker

Post #8 by 95cranker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Yes, it was a very fun experience. I got a new column coming in soon, Clutch went in quite smoothly and so did the transmission, it's the mazda tranny and the forks checked out good. So that's been slapped up in there, but I had to drop the fuel tank again to fix the evap system leak, which im still waiting to do because my mail guy brought my part to the post office and I don't want to get it on my weekend :D . So in a week or two I should be able to hear the beast rumble, and I may post a video about its first start :thumbup: . As best as I can describe it there's this large metal sleeve rolling around the shaft between the upper and lower column and the plastic pieces inside the column broke.

Mdixon300f100

Post #9 by Mdixon300f100 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 am

sdiesel wrote:very entertaining. nice writing
I spent 5 hours one day at the farm with a key and tumbler.
no fun. but the rig was my 35 mile ride home.

column is shot?
can't just remove tumbler and turn it by its wings?
try to not tear the rubber seal around column.
where it goes through fire wall.
I hear they are unobtainable.

and u have the zf 5 transmission? check the rear housing for cracks up near top.housing halves are unobtanium. be sure ur motor mounts and trans mounts are ford and in good condition.
these will cause the trans to crack if they are deteriortaed. can't hurt to support the t case either to take pressure off the housing

pilot bushing: fill hole with grease. use clutch align tool.
with hammer drive it into pilot bushing. hydraulic pressure pushes bushing out

oh boy have I been there good luck, and ur gonna make something out of it om sure.

For pilot bushings, I pack the hole with bread. Sounds comical, but it’s way easier than grease.