Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Vac line to heater control

Moderator: Mod Squad

ludwig
VIP Member

Vac line to heater control

Post #1 by ludwig » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:44 pm

So I found my white vacuum line to the heater control flap motor has broken in two at the fixture.

Is there a splice or something I can do? The line is kind of brittle where it shows and it seems like the other end grows out of a perfectly good harness and I don't want to mess with it.

1995 F150.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

ludwig
VIP Member

Re: Vac line to heater control

Post #2 by ludwig » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Never mind.

I got a piece of red WD40 tubing, cut it at a steep angle and worked it into both sides fo the break. It gave me a little more length too, so the tube is not bent too steeply where it comes out of the harness.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #3 by ludwig » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:27 pm

I always hate fixing something ahead of the advice here. Because someone always has a better idea than the one I got and I would have to take my fix apart to do it.

1986F150six

Post #4 by 1986F150six » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:41 am

A friend of mine has been a Ford technician since the early 1980s. He told me that there is a very small ID vacuum hose [3/64 ?], which is what they used at the dealership facility to splice together the broken plastic vacuum lines.

Sounds like you did the same thing "internally" rather than "externally".

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #5 by ludwig » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Yeah. Seems so. I was looking for some kind of T fitting or shrink to fit. And - whoop - there it was. Sticking out of the carb cleaner can.

I don't know how long it was broken, but now there is no hot breeze on a hot day across my feet. Seems that the thing it connects to is the damper door for the air flow and it closes when the heater/AC is on the 'off' position.

But this ^^^^ right here is PROOF of what I said. The NEXT idea will be a better one.

1986F150six

Post #6 by 1986F150six » Fri May 02, 2014 11:16 am

I had a thought... the way you made the "internal" splice [using the WD40 red straw] means that the ID is considerably smaller than with the original vacuum line. Have you noticed if it takes longer for the desired heater setting change to occur?

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #7 by ludwig » Fri May 02, 2014 11:21 am

No fears. It is just the baffle that closes off the box when you move the selector to 'off'. Uses constant vacuum so once it is closed, it just stays that way. Otherwise it stands open -- like it was doing for the last two years until I discovered the break by accident.

I thought of that same thing after your post appeared but it's not a problem. **AND** now I know a better solution if it becomes a problem.