Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

'54 Ford 4x4 pickup

Moderator: Mod Squad

54-4x4

'54 Ford 4x4 pickup

Post #1 by 54-4x4 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 pm

I am not sure if this is the correct place to show what I'm up to but if you are interested in what I'm doin' I will try and keep this happening.
To get started with this project a few years ago a friend offered me enough parts from his collection of old Ford pickup trucks to build a truck of my own.We wandered around the bone yard in the back 40 so to speak.A price of 1500 bucks was agreed between the two of us.That would give me any parts I need to build to build something for myself.
We picked a cab and front clip from about 4 or 5 around the same year and he hauled it over to my shop.He seemed more excited than me.Normally I like to build bikes.This is a first attempt to put a truck together from scratch.
I bought a '79 F250 4x4 from my son for 300 bucks.That is the foundation.It was pretty ratted out.He learned how to burn donuts in our field and tortured the truck until it quit.I brought it up the hill to my shop an peeled the body off.The running gear is all good stuff.Dana 60 front and rear with 4:10 gears,205 gear drive transfer case and a 400 with a 4 speed.
I really like 300 sixes so the first thing to go was the 400 V8,then the 4 speed.There are lots of older Ford pickups sitting around in peoples yards rusting away around here.I have been fortunate enough to get most of these old trucks for free just to move them so I have aquired a number of parts vehicles.
The frame now has a 300-6 and a ZF 5 speed tranny that I mated to the 205 transfer case with some careful grinding of the tranny to get them to slide together.The output shaft on the tranny has the same splines as the 205.The grinding was for the shifting of the transfer case to fit the tranny.Because the 5 speed is longer than the old 4 speed I had to move the transfer case frame mounts to the rear a bit.This means I will need to build a couple of drive shafts at some point.I just used the existing engine mounts.The engine seems like it is sitting back a ways to me but I'm OK with that.
Oh ya the tires are 285s X 16".The ones on it are some used ones off my daily driver.That is when I'm not off on my bike somewhere.
At some point I think I will build an aluminum flat deck rather than use a step side box.It will be more useful for me.
Here are a few pictures of how things are looking.
DSCF2216.JPG

DSCF4210.JPG[/[attachment=0]DSCF4215.JPG
These are the cab mounts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

54-4x4

Re: '54 Ford 4x4 pickup

Post #2 by 54-4x4 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm

This is what the front clip mounts look like below the rad support
DSCF4221.JPG
one on each side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

54-4x4

Post #3 by 54-4x4 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm

The stuff you see so far I did a couple of years ago.I got the itch to do some travelling around the world on my motorcycle so very little got done as my bike habit takes precedence over the truck.While riding I started to think about this old pelter and decided if I build an engine for it from my 300 stash it will give me some more incentive to get the truck mobile.
The steering was next.I used the the column from the '79.It was not going to work in the original location on this body so I cut a hole in the fire wall and shortened the shaft about 6".I had to drill a new hole and press the pin that holds these two little square blocks that slide around in the connection on the input to the steering box.After mounting the column to the dash and the firewall I was really happy.Now I can move the truck around a lot easier.
DSCF4211.JPG
DSCF4223.JPG

I've been lighting a fire in the stove and been working on the project truck almost every day.
I picked up some leather seats at Pick A Part when I was in the city from a Volvo for 50 bucks.They have lots of adjustment and are heated also.It feels like I am really moving ahead getting them mounted.Now that the seats are installed you can see my gear shift for the tranny and transfer case are done too.A friend gave me the stick shift knob.It is part of a draft horse collar called a haimes.It feels just right.
DSCF4207.JPG
DSCF4217.JPG

54-4x4

Post #4 by 54-4x4 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:06 pm

I have a hydralic clutch on the 5 speed so I used the foot pedals from a later model truck.Lots of foolin' around to get these mounted
DSCF4218.JPG
These are the pieces I cut from the original setup,then I welded some new gussets to support the pedals to the bottom of the dash
DSCF4219.JPG
The firewall looked like Swiss cheese after lots of trial and error getting the brake booster and pedals located where I'm happy so I cut a section out and replaced it
DSCF4222.JPG
The '79 brake booster master cylinder set up
DSCF4224.JPG
and the clutch and brake pedals
DSCF4225.JPG

This is as far as I have got.

broncr
VIP Member

Post #5 by broncr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 pm

I'm getting jealous. Nice pics & documentation - keep it coming, please!

I can't think of a better forum then "The Truck Stop" for the overall project. You might get a bit more collaboration/insight if you have specific Q's about engines, drive trains, etc.. There's quite a volume of knowledge floating around here. I'll be glad to share what little I can.
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

54-4x4

Post #6 by 54-4x4 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:07 am

I've been getting some advice on the 300 six performance section.I'm sure something will come up that will need to be addressed.I like doing this as it makes me think.There are lots of ways to skin a cat and more minds make it easier.

54-4x4

Post #7 by 54-4x4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Another good day in the shop for me.I managed to pull a clutch master cylinder from a parts truck,I think an '88 or '89 .That was out in the snow in front of the shop.I need to grab the throttle cable too.Now back in the shop with a small pattern from a piece of old cereal box to cut the hole in the correct spot to install the clutch master cylinder.
DSCF4227.JPG
You can see there is not much room to get the cap off because of the support for the rod to mount the front clip.I will have to drill another hole and move the rod about a half an inch to gain a bit more clearance.
DSCF4228.JPG
You can see how tight it is tucked in behind the brake booster.
Also managed to mount the gas pedal after modifying it a bit to fit.
DSCF4229.JPG
I am going to use the throttle cable and part of the support bracket off the EFI setup.That will make it easier to operate the carb throttle lever.
A little bit every chance I get to work on the old girl and she is starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

54-4x4

Post #8 by 54-4x4 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:25 pm

I didn't really like the accelerator pedal.It did not feel right to me so I made a change and cut the arm a bit shorter and made a big foot from a piece of aluminum.Welded a hinge on the bottom and made up a steel bracket that is welded to the floor wth a 1/4" bolt as a pivot.
DSCF4233.JPG
The EFI throttle cable worked out perfect.The carb needed a bracket built to support and line up the cable and the other end needed a spacer on the fire wall to fit the accelerator properly.Finicky little parts to build.It took me three tries to get things working smoothly.
DSCF4232.JPG