My poor baby

Moderator: Mod Squad

StarDiero75

My poor baby

Post #1 by StarDiero75 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 am

So i had my Ranchero at a shop and i told them not to leave it next to the street, low and behold, they did. That night a drunk dude (im assuming due to how it looked like someone was weaving in and out) clipped the front bumper yankjng it forward away from the car and dented in the fender.
I saw no sign in the shop that says they arent responsible if the car is damaged, but the shop guy says he aint legally responsible. He said hed work with me though and see what we can get done to get it fixed. Im really worried that im gonna have to pay to fix somethjng b/c the bumper is toast, and the fender csn be fixed but im gonna be seriously peeved if they use bondo, my baby dont have any bondo on it.

What do you all think i should do? Im gonna sit back till he trys to hand me a bill for it and then give him a piece of my mind (good idea?).

Thanks guys,
Ryan
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

frozenrabbit

Re: My poor baby

Post #2 by frozenrabbit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 am

The shop is liable for damage they may cause when a vehicle is in their possession, but not vandalism, tree falling on it, or possibly a hit and run. Check your local and state laws. If you did request it to not be parked there, that may come into play.

If you have full coverage on it, your insurance may cover it, then they figure out who's responsible.

You may need a lawyer, and take it to court.

99% likely you've already got bondo on it somewhere, it's 53 years old, and been in the hands of 'swift' previous owners. Paint hides horror stories.

If your ride was factory mint, with no body damage, you probably wouldn't have been able to buy it.

chad

Post #3 by chad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:30 am

I would not wait to see what they respond with but respectfully tell them what U want.

I wish this was over in the chat section so able to really devote some time. Over here I feel like we need 2B more bout "auto tech".

Get right on ur research & decision making NOW (Atty Gen's Consumer Protect Division).. Today would B a good day to say "I am unhappy w/what occured w/my property while in ur posession & will get back to U asap". 2 - 3 days communication of wants shows urgency and seriousness. Waiting shows they've in the driver's seat.
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #4 by rbohm » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:18 pm

first step to do right now is retain an attorney, the meanest nastiest one you can afford.

step two have that attorney write a letter to the shop indicating that you want the vehicle restored to its previous condition, or the next step is court.

one thing that needs to be in the letter is that the shop will pay your attorneys fees due to their obstenance in dealing with this issue if the case goes to court. the attorney also needs to lay out the damages the car suffered as a result of the shops negligence.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

StarDiero75

Post #5 by StarDiero75 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm

I have no money for a lawyer. Im barely being able to get the car fixed at the shop.

I have liability only on the car as i csnt afford full coverage, nor will my insurance company even put full coverage on it
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #6 by rbohm » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 pm

you can find lawyers that will take the case on a contingency fee basis. they get paid when you get paid.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

of invention

chad

Post #7 by chad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm

"...they get paid when you get paid..."
1/3 of the "take".
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #8 by rbohm » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:59 pm

chad wrote:"...they get paid when you get paid..."
1/3 of the "take".

considering the amount of effort they put into the case, and the distinct possibility that they may not win the case, among other things, 1/3 isnt bad. especially if you have the filing add in the attorneys fees to the judgement. in other words compensatory damages plus attorneys fees, that way the defendant pays up if they lose.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

of invention