BritEx - exchange rate drop 20%

Moderator: Mod Squad

chad

BritEx - exchange rate drop 20%

Post #1 by chad » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:07 am

Not sure if this goes here or gass-alley. I don't stray far from "my" 'other forum'.

Is now the time (20% reduction due to subject line topic above) to buy British parts for our sixes?
They successfully go out of the Eur. Union, their pound went down 20%. I know it's a 2 yr process but I believe there's an advantage now for us "low cash flow buyers". So a Q:

What retailers can meet our needs? What parts might B available?
Any 1 think there IS an advantage?
Sure cheeper than the OZ - due to shipping!

Let's go International !
What say you...
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

CNC-Dude

Re: BritEx - exchange rate drop 20%

Post #2 by CNC-Dude » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Why not support the vendors and entrepreneurs here on the forum that have already invested in the Ford 6 market and can and do make things here in the USA for this niche first.

chad

still open to British parts 4 sm/big six.

Post #3 by chad » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi,
Thnx 4 da post-back.

R U talkin bout the "new" test site? it's vendor's forum?
/OR/
our bud Matt Cox?
He's just engine oriented…
Can U tell me more bout what ur thinkin?

May B a moot point, the idea wuz to act quickly. By now - without any contracts made, it seems too late.
Lets keep eyes open for nxt developments, eh?
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

CNC-Dude

Post #4 by CNC-Dude » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:39 am

I talking about myself and others here on the forum that have invested money, time and effort to bring products to the marketplace for these engines. Since the big Ford 6 and Small 6 are relatively tiny niche markets in the world, compared to the Small Block Chevy or Small Block Ford engines for instance, every time you look beyond our own borders to buy products for these Ford 6 cylinders, you take away a piece of the pie off of their plates that we're trying to help build up. And since there isn't a huge fan base for these engines to begin with and it isn't growing in leaps and bounds like other engine groups its kinda' like depriving these guys of their livelyhood in a sense. Plus, many of us here have connections to most of the top shelf performance manufacturers here in the US, so there really isn't anything you can buy outside of the US performance-wise that is going to be better than that. But it takes everyone here to support those willing to invest with those companies and to make specialty parts to bring desirable products to offer them here. But if there isn't loyalty and support for those stepping out to do this, it kinda' defeats the purpose of them doing that.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #5 by xctasy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 am

CNC-Dude wrote:I talking about myself and others here on the forum that have invested money, time and effort to bring products to the marketplace for these engines. Since the big Ford 6 and Small 6 are relatively tiny niche markets in the world, compared to the Small Block Chevy or Small Block Ford engines for instance, every time you look beyond our own borders to buy products for these Ford 6 cylinders, you take away a piece of the pie off of their plates that we're trying to help build up. And since there isn't a huge fan base for these engines to begin with and it isn't growing in leaps and bounds like other engine groups its kinda' like depriving these guys of their livelyhood in a sense. Plus, many of us here have connections to most of the top shelf performance manufacturers here in the US, so there really isn't anything you can buy outside of the US performance-wise that is going to be better than that. But it takes everyone here to support those willing to invest with those companies and to make specialty parts to bring desirable products to offer them here. But if there isn't loyalty and support for those stepping out to do this, it kinda' defeats the purpose of them doing that.

Hear, hear!

From Dean

Lover of In line Ford Sixes, the Old Country, and Prisoner Of Mother England

POM-E

:NZ: :UK:

The British defaulted on loans to the US in, IIRC, 1935 and 1965. Thats about when GM USA got Vauxhall (IIRC, 1932), the former King abdicated and married IMHO. a really cool American gal....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXndvWwZuaA

...and Chrysler USA got the Rootes Group (Sunbeam, Hillman, Singer, Talbot)

The last British Ford in line six was the 1957-1962 Mark III Zephyr, AC Ace and, gasp!, the 45 degree slant six Diesel D series Ford truck engines of 1965 to 1993.

As for the British, well, Americans traditionally love pouring money into any British Isles/UK insitution hemorrhageing red ink, so why the heck not?

AC Motor Company 1962-1971, then again in the AC ME3000 era from 1978 to 1982) Aston Martin (1973 Gulf Western Oil money propped up the company), DeLoren (1982), Lotus (GM after 1986), Jaguar (Ford USA after 1989) , Land Rover (Ford USA 199 something) , probably Formula One (1967 and 1985 Cosworth engines by USA Ford money and the 1974 F2 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega engine, the Chevy used Illmor engines)
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

chad

Post #6 by chad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:28 am

not da place 2 go diggin 4 parts then , I guess.
I thought I saw some cited here when some 1 ran a pic of that MG or whatever it wuz w/a 200 motor…
Where 2 get valves, hi aspect rockers or sompin?

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #7 by xctasy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:41 pm

chad wrote:not da place 2 go diggin 4 parts then , I guess.
I thought I saw some cited here when some 1 ran a pic of that MG or whatever it wuz w/a 200 motor…
Where 2 get valves, hi aspect rockers or sompin?

Affrimative for the timing chain from a 1300 Austin America or 1275 BugEye Sprite or 1973 MG Midget, that fits the US 144-170-200 engines.

The offset bushes don't fit the rocker gear, but the concept can be used to increase the rocker arm ratio from 1.5 to 1.76:! if done right.

Its basically a BMC 1275 A series and 1798 B series intiated idea dating from the late 1960's Monte Carlo Mini and Big Austin Healy's. Using offest bushes, you can eliminate making a set of newly cast rocker arms, but the process on a Ford six won't use any of the bushes the BMC guys in the USA or Europe use...the idea is exactly the same...rpcker arm or rocker shaft repositioning by offset ground bushes to alter the lever arm.

Its easy for things to get twisted.

For example, the rush from Brexit created this little gem

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/ ... utha-mayor

chad

Post #8 by chad » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:46 am

I followed yer link but think I missed the main point cuz I don't have a feel for the 'exchange rate'.
I DO see that a 160K gift for buyin a 230K house is pretty nice deal, tho.
(wonder how that got misconstrued in the orig. story - 200+ phone calls! the folks didn;t even know the lay of the land there).

the timing chains and offset bushes could be helpful.
I think this reminds me of the correct cite I referr to above.
Wasn't there some pic of Brit rockers that could wrk on our USA sm sixes? AND that had some advantage (upped the ratio or sompin?)

1966Mustang
Administrator

Post #9 by 1966Mustang » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Yes, made in USA would be my preference too.
How about this...
How about everyone on here that sells, services or makes something send me their username and email and what it is they do.
Let's start talking up our businesses because I have no idea what you all might do or provide.
Chad was referring to a new vendors section on the hopefully soon to be released new version of this board. I'd like to create an index/directory/business referral pages there. Give me your ideas and we'll try to drive more business to y'all.

Thanks,

Perry Clark
196yMustang
pclark@fordsix.com
'65 Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Support our forum:
Like us on Facebook, watch us on YouTube, Buy FordSix Gear , Make a Donation!

chad

vendor networking / test site goes up full time

Post #10 by chad » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:02 pm

1) I know Scott's (cnc-dude) all ways wrkin on sompin!
2) Matt's sent me some stuff…
3) we got a nu 'head guy'…
4)
5)
6)

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #11 by xctasy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:03 am

chad wrote:I followed yer link but think I missed the main point cuz I don't have a feel for the 'exchange rate'.
I DO see that a 160K gift for buyin a 230K house is pretty nice deal, tho.
(wonder how that got misconstrued in the orig. story - 200+ phone calls! the folks didn;t even know the lay of the land there).

the timing chains and offset bushes could be helpful.
I think this reminds me of the correct cite I referr to above.
Wasn't there some pic of Brit rockers that could wrk on our USA sm sixes? AND that had some advantage (upped the ratio or sompin?)

Yes, the link is here.

/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74180

xctasy wrote:On the A series 1275 cc engines, offset bushes on the steel rocker shaft were made to take the rocker arm from 1.18:1 to 1.31:1.

No offence intended here but--> anyone writing a book about minis 30 years ago may not have experienced such worn or stuffed-with components as we are finding these days.

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

You'd be better using a narrowed FE rocker arm, and use custom made Offset bushes on a downsized rocker shaft. You can easily get another 12% rocker ratio from some stock 1.5:1's to get 1.69:1. But if you use machine down (narrowed) 1.73:1 FE hydraulics, you can get 1.65 on the small six, and then go up to almost 1.85:1,the same as an OHC Falcon 4.0.

Ask RAS if they will outsource them to build a 1.76:1 non adjustable hydraulic rocker http://www.spridgetmania.com/part/2A21/ ... dget--Mini

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic ... ht=rockers
I tested S rockers, pressed steel rockers, and the late sintered ones.
I found the S ones gave 1.16:1, pressed steel 1.21:1, and sintered 1.18:1.
All were measured on the same 12G940 head, with an RE13 cam (0.290" lobe lift) fitted.

I like the pressed steel (round pad) ones, with 0.44" offset bushes in I can get them up to 1.31:1 ratio. And their pads are harder than the S rockers.

See Image http://home.exetel.com.au/zoomini/zoomi ... GP1558.JPG

The oval pad 1275 ones with the same offset bushes, I got 1.35:1. Simon K has a set in his S.

No one in there right mind would spend a pound to get an ounce. No, hang on, um, what I ment was probably "spend ounce money for no bang for the buck". Ford started with a serious 1.76:1 solid lifter ratio, any I6 builder stuck with 1.5:1 ratios should do the same.

Australian, English and USA A series and B series 1275 and 1798 cc engine modifiers have specailist parts. They don't cross over to the Ford small six very well. but the concepts do.

So Spridget Mania shows an offsetrocker arm bush.

http://www.spridgetmania.com/part/2A21/ ... -Arm-Shaft

Other websites show how to make offsetrocker arm bushes from basics.

The rocker shaft on small I6 1960 to 1983 Fords is built up like the Y block, I block and FE systems were, and requires a full remade rocker shaft, then a combination of bushes, rockers and depending of lift requirements, a whole rethink of the valve length if coil bind is to be avoided with the stock short valves.

The second way is offset the rocker shaft pedastool bushes

From http://mgbmga.com/tech/mgb16c.htm

Offset bushes in all forms are actually American as apple pie. It was a traditional way of production motorcylce, race car and crank shaft engineering in the infancy of the motorbike and automobile, until about 1962, when Ford copied the Chevy Small block sled fulcrum. in its 221 V8.

As production numbers went up, the vitality and health of Mc Namara era Whiz Kid production engineering brought us the Stirrat small block Ford engine and then the Y blocks and I block engines that used this kind of bushed rocker arm and rocker shaft were pensioned off, and rapidly gave way to the sled fulcrum rocker shafts. Although Le Mans racers won with the FE type system, it wasn't cost effective, and was deep sixed by 1969 for production cars, and by 1978 for trucks.

The point is that the equipment is sound, and reliable, its just not looked at any longer. The English still do this stuff, but its APT and David Vizard who have retaught the basics to a generation far removed from offset ground bushes.

The basics are found in the historicals of 130 years of recipricating engine development.

Americans moved away from "re-engineering it" because mass production made horsepower easier to get from other sources...stroker cranks V8's and a succession of bigger, simpler engines with bigger simpler carbs, and new (usually Ford of GM ) rocker shafts like the common FE and Big Block Chevy and Canted valve Boss 302 and 335 and 385 Lima engines.

No body ever revisted little 144, 170 200 and 250 cube sixes, and the economics of doing such, um, " wacked out" offset ground brass bush or phospher bronze machining is just way off base on the normal bag of tricks any sane US based engine modifier would look to.

Until now...

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #12 by xctasy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:27 am

1966Mustang wrote:Yes, made in USA would be my preference too.
How about this...
How about everyone on here that sells, services or makes something send me their username and email and what it is they do.
Let's start talking up our businesses because I have no idea what you all might do or provide.
Chad was referring to a new vendors section on the hopefully soon to be released new version of this board. I'd like to create an index/directory/business referral pages there. Give me your ideas and we'll try to drive more business to y'all.

Thanks,

Perry Clark
196yMustang
pclark@fordsix.com

Perry, I belive in the American approach too. For intance, when it wants to, USA endevor does it better than the rest of the world.

For instance, Canfield's sbf block adaptor allows a proper SBF V8 transmission to fit an I4 block similar to an old AOD I6 adaptor I discussed. The price is about 142 bux US compared to 329 US dollars that I charged in 2004.

So the American price will always be geared into Playing in Peoria. If it works in middle America, it'll work anywhere.

The US industry is resilliant, focused and smart...it just takes an age to respond as its always been a cash focused "Will it play in Peoria?" approach.

So still, people don't get the worth of proper 5 speed or 4 speed overdrive gearboxes, bolt on turbos and proper A/C operating in conjunction with the exhaust and a simple carb and distributor combination that doesn't idle like a bag of squirrels. That's what has been missing. The 2 and 4v head paved the way, now its all about day to day needs of 33 to 56 year old engines.

If it won't let you cruise all day at 85 mph, do a sub 16 second 1/4 mile, and get potentally 20 to 25 miles per gallon, then we should be knocking on First Fox's, Crosley's or Gene or Mustang Geezers or Does10s doors and ask them to build an engine.

Most of us here don't get fuel control, and how to make it work. They don't understand fuel delivery systems, ignition systems, and how to make it all gell together without cracking pistons and snapping cams.

Anyone who does carbs, distributors, gearing and caters for Air con, power steering and emissions devices or stock style engine builds will flourish even with 1960 to 1983 era engines.

For me, I'm on the outfield. I started with AOD adaptors, but no one really undestands what a left hand mount Colgne or Aussie AOD adaptor allows for turbo instillations.

then looked at port on port induction (EFI and Holley 2300 series carb) on non crossflow heads

, now its 4-bbl carbs on iron headed 60 to 83 small sixes with turbos and fuel control.

I am Dean Stevenson of XEC Ltd at http://www.xecltd.info/

email xecltd@yahoo.co.nz

I do

1. cast iron non cross flow iron head adaptors to mount two 2-bbl carbs to operate as one four barrel carb on small sixes. It has a high US content and requires some pretty special but low cost servo control that Josh initated back in 2012.

2. Carb 4-bbl that is electronic to ensure closed loop and open loop control as per the early MCU and EECIV systems, but they are Durapark II, not TFI. It uses the throttle lean out system the 1982 to 1985 carb Ford V8's used.

3. A new type of old bolt on carb adaptor...its not direct mount, its just an adaptor which uses Ak Miller's 1967 style four hole Kehin intake adaptor. Lincs200 provided details

4. For a fee, I do FE style non roller rocker 1.76:1 rockers with lash caps, and Sodium filled exhaust valves for high performance applications.

5.I have a 5.0 V8 style serpentine adaptors for 3G alternators like the last Explorer/Mountanier/Falcon AU FBT truck 5.0 unit with high mount Power steering and alternator, and low mount a/c and air pump.

Its all designed to allow

6. T03 60 or Garret T 3582 turbo charging

7. The transmission is 138 teeth 4.0 V6 or left hand starter AOD.

None of them is production ready, but whole idea is to create a non roller cam engine that can cope with turbocharging.

Thats my seven point ROYGBIV Rainbow Coalition.

And I endorse

Crosley for transmissions,
was111 and FalconSedanDelivery for distributors,
MustangGeezer for paint and his suggested transmission referals, and
dayman1 for EFI units.
thesameguy for EDIS6
and Does10s Will and Kelly for advice on turbo engine rebuilds.

Although they aren't set up for doing any work, they are ambassadors for the cause...http://www.mclearranracing.com/mclearra ... ontact.php

For full engine rebuilds, you guy's will have to network.

And Matt Cox from Vintage Inlines for anything else...

chad

Re-Organizing After Our Loss

Post #13 by chad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:48 am

i like it!

No body wants to B a "guinea pig" and test out these things members have developed. If they see it works and has benefit SOME will pick them up. We need to have solid numbers (lots of use) on the product and honest feedback about how great they are before we'll see them move in any quantity.

I think the site can be a place to do both of these things. We have folks that have a pretty deep understanding who might be 'early adopters' and could develop this kind of system for the sm/big six. Didn't it work that way for CI/Mike/ford6 with the alu head?

I think it returns to that kind of dynamic with a follow up to Perry's request (& the type of f/u just done by X).

chad

Post #14 by chad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:14 pm

China just bought a piece due to the current state of affairs…into the internet of things -
not sure exactly what co. but that's the 'field' (just heard a piece on the radio).

Has it settled yet?
(China is all way buyin anyway).