Still kicking

Moderator: Mod Squad

XFlow_Fairlane
VIP Member

Still kicking

Post #1 by XFlow_Fairlane » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:14 pm

So been a busy year...again....

Got laid off in Kansas and moved back to my house in TN. Spent the summer as a Democrat collecting my weekly checks.

Put my V8 S10 together some more....got frustrated with the FAST XFI box and pushed it aside.

So switched over to my 1982 Toyota. Swapped in the 4.3 chevy motor, built a front axle for it (widened the housing, custom axles, electronic locker) and started wiring up the EFI before I found employment in Washington State.

Moved out here in September 2015 (had to winch the Toyota on a trailer) and started studying the PE exam in April 2016. Passed the exam.

got the Toyota running and driving and broke it....and fixed it....and broke it....

The S10 seems to run when it wants to. It has been a steep curve. Having to sort the wiring out from EVERYTHING that the factory ECU controlled or was tied to the factory engine harness (relays, speedo, fuel level, charging, etc) and getting a mix of components to work with the XFI system. Tossing in having an alternator die, an older weak battery and trying to keep the Toyota drivable has been a chore.

So for the last 2 years my Fairlane has been pretty much untouched. I am getting other projects out of the way and am in a much better position financially to fund building the car so that helps. I am trying to get this S10 sorted so I can part it out (SWMBO wants a Trans Am Bandit car) so the motor/trans is getting pulled for that future project once sorted) and hoping to get my RD400 project together (have a frame with matching title for it now) I have spent a lot of the last couple years gearing up my shop when I was a contractor.

20 Ton press
Tig welder
Plasma Cutter
Brake for press along with dimple dies
Bead Roller
36x48 jig welding table (5/8" on 2" centers covering top and sides of table for fixturing up stuff)
Hydraulic Tube flaring kit (double and single flares, AN flares, and even fuel line quick connects)
Mag base Drill
Portaband with benchtop stand

So hopefully I can get some projects squared away this winter (when I will have time I have no idea) so I can make room for my Fairlane in the garage and get back to finishing up the rust repair on it.
Rule: Torque = Fun , Turbo's make Torque

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Re: Still kicking

Post #2 by Lazy JW » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:23 am

RD400== Cool! 8)
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)