Non Xflow head casting numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roath

Hi Guys

I've had to rip my ford 6 out of my jet boat after pumping lots of salt water through it (Will rebuild it nicely this winter.. as well as buy a new exhaust manifold!) :cry: :cry:

I have quickly thrown in a 'good' donkey to keep me going this Summer.
I notice the heads have different codes and I'm guessing this is compression or something similar.

Old Head - ends in 10 E1
New Head ends in 13 C1

I've searched this site but cant find any references to non xflow ( non 2v Heads) Can someone please let me know these mean.

I'd love to rebuild the motor with a 2v or xflow but there isnt enough width ,so will just freshen up the original motor and try to get some more power. (up to 3500 rpm as the engine never revs past 3.5) If anyone can recommend the best engine place in Auckland NZ , I'm all ears :)

TIA guys

Rob

I'll explain how the codes go.

Early 170'S had C1UE 6049-A on the log head, then 170, the capacity, then the date code (in my case, core code 24J3). It's an ex 1963 Futura head, I think.

Ford uses
(C1) The year code. C1 is 1961, when the casting was first minted in Canada
(UE) Fords international car code system for vehicle class
(6049) Standard head code
(A) Revision letter
(170) Cubic inch displacement (when the heads were individual to the engine choice. Later ones had no engine capacity code.
(24) numbers for the body or core box casting code,
(J) then a revolving look-up table date code like this for the Month
(3) and then last number is the year. (1963)

So all I can say is that 24J3 is a 1963 head made in what ever month J is on Fords revolving table. 24 is possibly a code for where is was cast, or what casting box was used.

In your case, your old head 10 E1 may be ex 1971. The next one 13C1 is likely to be a 1971 item too. Remember, there were two sizes of I6 engine in the XY, 221 and 250.

The early Aussie log heads up to 1967 were all similar castings 144, 170, 200 were all similar with adjustable valve gear and narrow valve guides. Early ones were Canadian. Small 1.3" carb hole. Then the Geelong plant started phasing in local Oz content. These 365 to 385 pound engines had various main bearing combinations.

Come 69 model year, the 400 pound seven bearing Argentine-style 188 and 221 engines got new heads. These were used with bigger valve guides and adjustable valve gear still. There were a raft of small changes to suit. These had casting numbers ARC9DE 6049 and a revison code

Then the 200/250 tall deck Geelong engines hit town, similar head but some modifications. These were a scramble of US 250 bits with the bare minimum of new parts. They missed out on the 1.75" intake log head, so are quite restrictive. As has been said, the tall deck 200/250 engines are just cousins with the US 250, not brothers. These had casting numbers 72BA 6049 and a revison code

ARDIDE 6049 -AC is the preferable 250 2V head. It made apperance in limited 170 hp XA's and XB's. Only available with tube headers, it's detachable intake manifold is often 72DA 9425-AAbut does have a 1974 casting number as well. This differed to the 188 and 221 2-bbl Argentine ME and SP heads used from 1972 to late 1995.

The wider blocked X-flow hit home in 1976, and was a very heavy 531 pound engine with a very meaty Clevleand style head. It's heavier than a 2-bbl 302. This had two kinds of head. The early blue head and black block in the XC/TD/TE and Transit. Then the later Grey head blue block in the XD/TE/Transit. Ports were 35 mm, not 40 mm as in the earlier ones.

Then it's into the 51 pound lighter Grey head /black block 'Alloy head' engines and there is information here on the reputed casting numbers and stampings. This engine was quoted as 473 pounds ready to run in Alloy Head II carby format.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow, thankyou!

I just checked and both heads are "ARC9DE 6049 B" , so I guess I was never running a 250.. they are 221's :(

Funny I have looked up so many webs sites on the xy and xa falcon and none of them mention the 221 engine 'option'. (just 200 and 250) Grrrrrrrr

Both my blocks are ARDIDE 6015 A . What bore and stroke are these? I guess I should ditch the motor that came out and go looking for a real 250 , since I'm after low down power.. not revs.

What's the bext combo?.. the 250 block with the 221 head etc?

Thanks Heaps

Rob

Roath":5hl46h0t said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow, thankyou!

I just checked and both heads are "ARC9DE 6049 B" , so I guess I was never running a 250.. they are 221's :(

Funny I have looked up so many webs sites on the xy and xa falcon and none of them mention the 221 engine 'option'. (just 200 and 250) Grrrrrrrr

Both my blocks are ARDIDE 6015 A . What bore and stroke are these? I guess I should ditch the motor that came out and go looking for a real 250 , since I'm after low down power.. not revs.

What's the bext combo?.. the 250 block with the 221 head etc?

Thanks Heaps

Rob

Hey, it's me that was wrong. ARDIDE 6015 A is 1971 Falcon.

IT MAY BE STILL A 200 or 250!

The 188 and 221 was 1969 XT or XW.

The heads may have been the earlier 188/221 castings on the 200 and 250 engines. The tall 200 and 250 were released with the XY, so you are right. I forgot about that.

The easy way to check is to measure from the sump split line to the top of the block/bottm of head.

If its 7.808" (198 mm), its an early 144-170 or 200 short deck engine.
If its 8.425" (214 mm), its the 188 or 250.
If its 9.380" (238 mm), its the tall deck 200/250 engine.

The 200 and 250 block were the same. So were the 188 and 221. Its a standard Ford trick that they did with the 302 and 351 Clevlelands. The Americans did it with there 240 and 300 engines. Just change the rods and crank to get a bigger engine!

The first way to find out capacity, if your lucky, is the legal engine number is stamped the same as the chassis number, on the front left above the distributor (or vent tube on early engines). It's not the casting code. Unless the car is off a Fairmont or base model Fairlane or a car which was known to come standard with a 250, it can be difficult to find out the capacity by engine numbers.

The second way is by engine combo code on the chassis. Ford use H, J, K, L depending on if its a 3.3, 4.1, 4.9, 5.8

The third, and easy way is to drop number 1 plug, grab a white cable tie, and mark the postions of the piston at the top dead centre and bottom dead centre with a Texta marker.

If it's 2.940"(74.68 mm), it's a 170 or 188.
If its 3.126" (79.4 mm), it's a 200
If its 3.910" (939.314 mm), it's a 250

The bores are imposible to measure unless you have the head removed. 3.5" (88.9mm) was 144 and 170.

The 188, 200, 221 and 250 all used 3.68" (93.472mm) pistons with varying dish types of 22 to 27 cc in the 250. The 188 and 200 pistons are the similar. 6cc in the log heads, and about 15 cc in the later 200's.

Hope that helps with out bamboozling ya!

Oh and engine rebuilders? Send a personal meassage to alloydave from Segedins. If he doesn't know someone trustworthy to do up your XY six banger, then i'd be very supprised. They are suppliers mainly, not NZ new engine rebuilders. If you order their cataloge, they have listed a vast array of imported pre x-flow cams, valves and oil pumps, bearings and pistons which they get ex America or Aussie for a very reasonable price.

The thing with sixes is anyone can rebuild them, but to do them well needs a fanatic.

Sweet TY

Just had a quick look at the old motor.. it's definately a 250 going by the stroke. (The Heads off)

The one I've put in the boat (not ready to start up quite yet) measures to be either a 200 or 250 as well. The only mark I can see on the block looks to be just a cast number.. 16 C I think.. I was all excited for a sec thinking it said 15 0 lol.. (Old motor had 11 E)

Well I guess the motor I have that came out is as good as I can get for performance wize, so I'll just have it rebuilt. (No need to look for another head or anything). I'll just live with whatevers in the boat untill the good motors ready. Will be an interesting first trip to see what the top speed is.. I should know pretty quickly if its a 200 :)

Thanks Heaps for your help :)

how many casting numbers are the for the 2v heads and intakes
drift
i have a ardioe 6049 ac with a 74da-9425-aa inlet manifold and anther 2v head coming.
it also has hi5 cast inbetween some intake ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back