Roller timing chain on a 250

Moderator: Mod Squad

mike1157

Roller timing chain on a 250

Post #1 by mike1157 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:50 pm

I managed to get my engine assembled this past weekend. The machine work done to this engine, and the small job machining required to do the things I wanted to do was extensive to say the least.

But, I digress. On to the title of the thread.

I have fitted this engine w/ a solid roller cam. No small feat in of itself, but again, not what this is about. It is related to it however, as the spring pressures the stock timing chain would've been exposed to concerned me. ( 420lbs open BTW)

I learned about the lack of other than stock timing chains long after the cam was ground, and shipped from Australia, otherwise, I would've just had the cam grinder modify the cam snout accordingly to accomodate a SBF timing gear. That would've been Nice, and easy.
But that's not the way I do things.
Seems I never, ever, ever do things Nice, and easy....... Seems I want to do things....... Rough.

( Did you like my Ike and Tina thingy there?)

Doing things "rough" means trying to drill a billet roller cam after it has been subjected to it's heat treat process.
The difference between a cam intended for a 250, and a small block ford is significant when it comes to trying to make the gear from the SBF fit the 250 cam. The first process involved turning the snout down to fit the SBF gear.

Fortunately, this cam was induction hardned, as opposed to a complete through harden that would've made the cam unmachinable. Turning the snout down was no problem, as t wasn't subjected to the same treatment the lobes and journals were.
Drilling the cam face for the dowel pin wan't so easy.
The closer to center, the softer the metal. Starting out w/ a small .125 bit drilled easy enough, but, as the bit got bigger the diameter got closer, and closer to the hardened outside radius of the journal. By the time we were at the finish drill size to accomodate the dowel, the bit was chattering, and groaning. Needless to say, it didn't work.

I bailed on that plan, and drilled two smaller .250 holes through the cam gear, into the cam face. I figured that two smaller dowels would be stronger than one big one anyway.

The stock thrust plate was too thin, so we had to make a new one. I believe that the thickness comes out to be .240, but my cam gear has a torrington bearing for a thrust washer, so different gears will probably make that measurement change.

This is where things get a little dodgy.

Does10's has already done this swap, and he chose to modify the SBF chain by removing one link and using a master link to put it back together. Originally, I tried the same path, but had a real problem trying to find a link to match the Dido brand chain that came in my Summit brand kit.

After about three days and a bazillion phone calls however, I found a source for the right chain that actually came as a complete piece. Turns out that a 69-78 Toyota Corrolla w/ a certain engine uses this chain. The source told me to just go to autozone, and ask the guy at the counter for a Melling 3Dr56 double roller chain.

Or he could just sell me one for 15 bucks.

I chose "B".

Additional modifications are required to the crank, and the crank gear after that. The SBF gear has a shoulder that is about .300. This shoulder makes the gear stand way off installed conventionally for that reason. Does10s just flipped the gear backwards. I chose to mill off the shoulder.
Either way, whether you flip the gear does10s style, or machine it off like I did, The crank still has t be turned an additional .050 to allow the gear to sit far enough back to line up properly.

It fits like stock after you go through all of the above. The chain is perfect, just loose enough to allow you to install it.

Now, about the crank gear. I'm also using a SBF harmonic balancer. Conveniently enough, it's about .300 longer than the 250 balancer, so machining the .300 off of the crank gear would've had to happen one way or the other in order for the balancer to fit anyway.
One last "required" modification is the keyway on the crank. It's way too short and does not extend rearward enough to safely secure the gear given that you have to move it back even further. I had my machinist extend the keyway the full length of the crank snout to be safe.
1978 Ford Fairmont Futura project: "The Gila Monster" Xflow'd Megasquirted, MPFI'd, DIS, T/C'd, A2WI/C'd 250, 4R70W shifted, and 8.8, 3.55 gear rearended.

xctasy
VIP Member

Re: Roller timing chain on a 250

Post #2 by xctasy » Mon May 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Why would you just copy anyone else? Ford went through exactly the same malaise in 1968 when the 250 and 351C were tooled up, and found that the stock Windsor bits just didn't fit.

That's because Ford Dearborn boys back in the 60's had some broader plans.

The 300 thou shoulder removal, either from the crank or from the timing set with the 250 to SBF Windsor cam gear swap is something Ford lads created in 1968 when the 250 and 335 Cleveland got designed. The 335 series 302C/351C/351M/400 engines and 250 needed a lot of extra space to fit the stock Windsor parts in those engines, and the little Windsor has a lot of space with its nice open front design. The longer 250's big ass balancer and water pump pushes things out a little. The Cleveland, Modified's and 400's big front cover similarly caused the stock components not to fit, so they just changed trimmed back the timing gear. I'd say the US 250 and 335 series timing gears were planned to be the same back in the day

My mates who do NASCAR and ProStock engines find this issue also a when you attempt to swap Windsor verses 335 Cleveland parts into SBF Windsors...the stock race block Ford Motorsport makes is a Cleveland/Windsor capable block, but it has a crank shoulder for the Windsor balancer and timing gear which then has to be removed when a Cleveland timing gear or balancer is used. Nothing 8 hours of lathe work can't fix.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

mike1157

Post #3 by mike1157 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:55 pm

xctasy wrote:Why would you just copy anyone else? Ford went through exactly the same malaise in 1968 when the 250 and 351C were tooled up, and found that the stock Windsor bits just didn't fit.

That's because Ford Dearborn boys back in the 60's had some broader plans.

The 300 thou shoulder removal, either from the crank or from the timing set with the 250 to SBF Windsor cam gear swap is something Ford lads created in 1968 when the 250 and 335 Cleveland got designed. The 335 series 302C/351C/351M/400 engines and 250 needed a lot of extra space to fit the stock Windsor parts in those engines, and the little Windsor has a lot of space with its nice open front design. The longer 250's big ass balancer and water pump pushes things out a little. The Cleveland, Modified's and 400's big front cover similarly caused the stock components not to fit, so they just changed trimmed back the timing gear. I'd say the US 250 and 335 series timing gears were planned to be the same back in the day

My mates who do NASCAR and ProStock engines find this issue also a when you attempt to swap Windsor verses 335 Cleveland parts into SBF Windsors...the stock race block Ford Motorsport makes is a Cleveland/Windsor capable block, but it has a crank shoulder for the Windsor balancer and timing gear which then has to be removed when a Cleveland timing gear or balancer is used.
Nothing 8 hours of lathe work can't fix.

Pfft. Tell me about it.

It was three days at the job shop. The cam, crank and gear was day one,The engine was day two, and surfacing the mating surface of my poor old warped turbo manifold, day 3.
The block was machined on the deck for the dowel pins that secure the xflow head, I'm re-routing the water to 5 different points of entry, and using an electric pump. The discs will get drilled, and tapped w/ three 1/4 bolts holding it in the perimeter, and a 1/2NPT hole in the middle.
1978 Ford Fairmont Futura project: "The Gila Monster" Xflow'd Megasquirted, MPFI'd, DIS, T/C'd, A2WI/C'd 250, 4R70W shifted, and 8.8, 3.55 gear rearended.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #4 by xctasy » Tue May 20, 2014 12:10 am

Lol.

The later OHC ran totally ledged with no water to the passenger side just like yours.

The non cross flow US 250 block is a nice base to use.

mike1157

Post #5 by mike1157 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Posting here is a waste of my time. If it's not about a one bbl 1946 rebuild, or curving my "dizzy", then the things I've done are beyond the common interest. :cry:

Invectivus

Post #6 by Invectivus » Tue May 20, 2014 11:56 pm

I disagree, I think what you're doing is fascinating.
1967 mustang coupe - 200ci, 69 dizzy, adjustable rockers, headers and dual exhaust, T5.

1964 convertible falcon - Gutted.

1973 EB Bronco - 302ci (sorry!) DUI ignition, C4/D20, Dana 44, 33's

CNC-Dude

Post #7 by CNC-Dude » Wed May 21, 2014 12:16 am

mike1157 wrote:Posting here is a waste of my time. If it's not about a one bbl 1946 rebuild, or curving my "dizzy", then the things I've done are beyond the common interest. :cry:

I'm glad you are feeling that way....I thought it was just me! :thumbup:

Econoline

Post #8 by Econoline » Wed May 21, 2014 1:09 am

Come on Mike, I think this is awesome! I'm in awe of what your doing with that 250, way beyond my skill set. Over the top :beer:
Respectfully,

Seth

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #9 by xctasy » Wed May 21, 2014 6:31 am

:hmmm: It's because your iridescent brilliance has gazumped everyone else. EVERYONE. We are all potatoes compared to you.

I'm sure geniuses from Albert E to Frank Z, if they had posted there excellence on an internet forum, would just get a stunned silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrNatBx9soQ

mike1157

Post #10 by mike1157 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 am

xctasy wrote::hmmm: It's because your iridescent brilliance has gazumped everyone else. EVERYONE. We are all potatoes compare to you.

I'm sure geniuses from Albert E to Frank Z, if they had posted there excellence on an internet forum, would just get a stunned silence.

With regard to modifying the cam and gear to allow for a better timing chain, save for finding a complete chain, I've done nothing different from what Does10's has already done. (At least that's what the thread is about). Look at the responses, and replies he got after doing that vs the cricket noise that came from the picture set I've posted. I guess after one guy modifies a cam, & gear and chain to fit a 250, any other attempt gets a yawn.

I originally thought that it was because I was posting this stuff in the wrong place, but it seems that every venue is just as stodgy as this one.

I get more comments on V8 forums on this build where there is nothing anybody can take from it than what I get here. Modifications to an inline six like this one has had has no other venue other than here to be appreciated, and/or learned from. If nobody is commenting, then to me, nobody cares.

If nobody cares,......then why bother? That's my thoughts.

And in retrospect:
I get it that the build isn't for everyone here. I wouldn't have my feathers so ruffled if this wasn't the first time I've spent 20-30 minutes posting stuff to this board that only has Dean replying to it.

Soldmy66

Post #11 by Soldmy66 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:43 am

mike1157 wrote:Posting here is a waste of my time. If it's not about a one bbl 1946 rebuild, or curving my "dizzy", then the things I've done are beyond the common interest. :cry:

Well, it is not for me. I REALLY enjoy following what you are doing.

chad

Post #12 by chad » Wed May 21, 2014 12:40 pm

enjoyin this & the other threads, esp. the pics, the Oz personalities, ford car pics from Down-Under.
I'm not quick on the draw tho (getting to read the orig post or responding to them).
Got some machine time in ('70s & '80s), hardly any mechanic experience.

Coming here is an offering of sorts, for me. (or knowledge building for home use). No expectation of return. Nice surprise when there is some...

Keep up the good wrk and thanks for bringin me along. I thought U were just documenting things, didn't understand you wanted feedback. (like 1 fella said 'beyond my skill set', just watchin).
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

mike1157

Post #13 by mike1157 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:25 am

chad wrote:enjoyin this & the other threads, esp. the pics, the Oz personalities, ford car pics from Down-Under.
I'm not quick on the draw tho (getting to read the orig post or responding to them).
Got some machine time in ('70s & '80s), hardly any mechanic experience.

Coming here is an offering of sorts, for me. (or knowledge building for home use). No expectation of return. Nice surprise when there is some...

Keep up the good wrk and thanks for bringin me along. I thought U were just documenting things, didn't understand you wanted feedback. (like 1 fella said 'beyond my skill set', just watchin).

Every preacher needs a congregation to feed back the occasional "amen to that, brother".
Otherwise he doesn't know he's getting through to his peoples. :)

xrwagon

Post #14 by xrwagon » Thu May 22, 2014 7:51 am

I for one is following your build, i am into the more extreme, no autolight 1100’s and little 264 cams for me, I love what your doing, I would love to replicate some old school stuff. Like the motors on front of Hot Rod May 1960 for one.
1967 XR Wagon Super Pursuit 1968 200/221 Head, Steel Shim headgasket/3spd Man/75 series Borg/Hi-Tech Headers/2.5 Collector 2.25 Hooker Aeroflow dumped at diff. PB 11.74 over Eighth 1/8 Mile

chad

Post #15 by chad » Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 am

"...If nobody is commenting, then to me, nobody cares...."
sorry, didn't realize you sought that. hard to tell w/ an on-line community.
May B if we had the 'props' signifiers like on the FTE site you could see & display all the back slaps and hi fives.
Folks click a button and it adds a lill box next to their name on all subsequent posts.
:thumbup:
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #16 by rbohm » Thu May 22, 2014 1:52 pm

mike1157 wrote:
xctasy wrote::hmmm: It's because your iridescent brilliance has gazumped everyone else. EVERYONE. We are all potatoes compare to you.

With regard to modifying the cam and gear to allow for a better timing chain, save for finding a complete chain, I've done nothing different from what Does10's has already done. (At least that's what the thread is about). Look at the responses, and replies he got after doing that vs the cricket noise that came from the picture set I've posted. I guess after one guy modifies a cam, & gear and chain to fit a 250, any other attempt gets a yawn.

I originally thought that it was because I was posting this stuff in the wrong place, but it seems that every venue is just as stodgy as this one.

I get more comments on V8 forums on this build where there is nothing anybody can take from it than what I get here. Modifications to an inline six like this one has had has no other venue other than here to be appreciated, and/or learned from. If nobody is commenting, then to me, nobody cares.

If nobody cares,......then why bother? That's my thoughts.

And in retrospect:
I get it that the build isn't for everyone here. I wouldn't have my feathers so ruffled if this wasn't the first time I've spent 20-30 minutes posting stuff to this board that only has Dean replying to it.

i like what you have done. does10s did his roller chain build in a slightly different way than you did. you might not be getting the same response he did because he did it first, but you just gave an alternative to splicing in a link in a chain.

i am thinking of making this post a sticky so that others can always find it.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #17 by xctasy » Fri May 23, 2014 7:50 pm

mike1157 wrote:......Every preacher needs a congregation to feed back the occasional "amen to that, brother".
Otherwise he doesn't know he's getting through to his peoples. :)

Dean, pushed into the crowed by a bunch of scared F*M*C* i6 car nuts, is forced to be honorary spokesman...

Nah, its not the same. You've brought a Uzzi and Stinger Missile Launcher into Sunday Mass. People are goin'...wtf?

Actually, Mike W (azcoupe) needs to have not an amen post, but a wtf button, and me and everyone else would be pushin' it every five seconds you download your post.

I've seen you stuff, its copied else-ware wholesale, and really messes people up. How do you respond to someone who says something so outlandish, so wild, so whoa man, and then brings in a magic vehicular artifact from Willie Wonkers Chocolate factory. We ask a question, and you give us an instant perfect answer like you rehearsed it for 238 years, and we are all grandpa George's going like...."sorry we asked!".

Or those jc moments when the Sanhedrin ask some nutty carpeter about how he proposed to rebuild a temple that couldn't rebuilt in 40 years...in just three days.

Or when he said he had food none knew about and the rest of the disciples say somethin' like "oooh, is it because we forgot the grocery hamper again?". So were all kinda feeling a few sandwiches short of the full picnic, Mike, if you get my drift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snB3vmY60Dk

But you do it all without oompah lumpahs.

I wanna know Where The Freak Are Your Oompah Lumpahs?, Mike.

WTFAYOL?

Its electrickery, bah!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ho8di4ywQ

Mike, your not just insane, but multi-choice now,

you must be
1) an "in league evil brother",
2). or some kinda savant,
3). Or a some kind of prophet
4). Or a Greatest American Hero who has found a Ford Workshop Manual that has fallen out of a UFO in Area 51.
5) There ain't no way your just a welder...

I'm leaning towards 4...

whatever, we love it...

Dean then runs away and hides under an i6 early bronco in the fetal position at chad's place

Fordsix performance, I herewith renounce my honorary spokesman role

mike1157

Post #18 by mike1157 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:01 am

Uhhh,......thanks? :?

I have no Oompah Loompahs, because obviously you have eaten them all.

And now you're sugar rushing all over the place :rolflmao:

More engine junk.

You guys remember Frank-N-Pan? The merging of two different six cylinder pans ( one fox 3.3, and one maverick 250) to create one pan right?

Well this week I had a chance to finish it up, and ck it for leaks (which it did).
Finishing it up meant that I needed to add drain plugs to the "wings". an -10 oil drain return, and a dipstick tube opening for some future dipstick.

In keeping w/my reanimating things back from the dead, I also "cobbled" an extension of the 3.3 fox pick up tube. When I first dug this thing out of the old engine parts box it was full of sludge and chunks of old gaskets. I completely took the thing apart to be sure that there wasn't some other engine destroying piece of s hit in there, and put it back together w/ this redneck piece of black plumbing pipe.
What can I say,...it works.
I also undertook the fabrication of an aluminum valve cover, since none can be had for this thing.
I started off by hand bending .250 wall 2" 6061 flat bar over a piece of rollbar tubing. I made two sides and butted them up against two pieces of alum dowel. Then.......................................
Glued the two pieces together.
After that shi t was dry, I reinforced the back side w/ a metal mesh, and added more epoxy to the patch. Then I cut a top out of .125 wall stuff, and glued and clamped the lid to the base. The next day, I took it apart, ran my router over the outside to create a radius, and we have the beginnings of a VC.
Using the two holes on each end as locators, I drilled the rest of the holes through the top.
It's not good enough to polish (because the lid shifted while it was glued, leaving a parting line exposed) so I'll paint it orange like the rest of the engine. Maybe I'll put some fins on it to jazz it up like my intake,..I'm just glad I have a way to cover the head.

CNC-Dude

Post #19 by CNC-Dude » Sat May 24, 2014 1:30 am

I am going to cast a finned valve cover for the crossflow's, even though there will probably be no market for one.

xrwagon

Post #20 by xrwagon » Sat May 24, 2014 7:18 am

plenty of sheet metal covers for crossflow heads down under Mike, another guy i know will CNC a billet one....for a price
1967 XR Wagon Super Pursuit 1968 200/221 Head, Steel Shim headgasket/3spd Man/75 series Borg/Hi-Tech Headers/2.5 Collector 2.25 Hooker Aeroflow dumped at diff. PB 11.74 over Eighth 1/8 Mile

mike1157

Post #21 by mike1157 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:22 am

The one I made will work for now. I'm not liking the through bolt design I came up with, because it makes getting the cover on/off a real PITA. But, it cost me a grand total of 15.00. For that price I guess there's a certain amount of frustration I can put up with.
I really wanted a stock cast cover.....

rocklord

Post #22 by rocklord » Sat May 24, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm getting another OEM alloy valve cover with my crossflow purchase.
If interested in it mike1157 let me know.
Dan

Currently Own
1965 Mustang, 200CID, 3Spd
1964 Corvair Coupe, 164CID, 140HP, 4Spd
1961 Corvair Lakewood wagon, 145CID, 80HP, 2Spd Powerglide Auto.
2017 BMW X3, 3.0L Dual Turbo, 300HP, 8-Spd Auto

mike1157

Post #23 by mike1157 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:20 pm

I am interested in it.What will you sell it for?

chad

Post #24 by chad » Sat May 24, 2014 4:02 pm

"...wouldn't have my feathers so ruffled if this wasn't the first time I've spent 20-30 minutes posting stuff to this board that only has Dean replying..."
glad U said sompin... I'm still tryin to figure out the "Sparski & Hutch" vehicle we got a pic of a yr. or so ago...
8^0
I've said it B4 - now, time again:

I am truly amazed at the things guys can come up with - design, fab, build and create.
At your start I though "Y would a guy wanna wrk w/an old tired out engine when he could start w/a fresh one". Now, Mike, I C Y! And U aint even finished...

rocklord

Post #25 by rocklord » Sun May 25, 2014 4:01 pm

mike1157 wrote:I am interested in it.What will you sell it for?

How's $50 plus shipping?

Roller rockers may not fit under a stock alloy valve cover. You may have to make a spacer.
Dan

Currently Own

mike1157

Post #26 by mike1157 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:41 pm

rocklord wrote:
mike1157 wrote:I am interested in it.What will you sell it for?

How's $50 plus shipping?

Roller rockers may not fit under a stock alloy valve cover. You may have to make a spacer.

The price is fine, but I too am concerned about rocker arm clearance. How tall is the stock cover?

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #27 by xctasy » Sun May 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Wouldn't worry about rocker clearance, you can add a spacer to the gasket base.
Its commonly done when a set of bolt on Cleveland adjustables are added.

The rocker cover does need the right oil filler and ECM interface to the 250 US engine.

And you guys need reveal the sources of where you got the parts.....

mike1157

Post #28 by mike1157 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:31 am

Damn it man,...you figured me out :twisted:

That's actually NOT a rocker cover at all,...It's purpose is to hide the flux capacitor underneath that I have cleverly "disguised" as a old-assed inline six.

When I get it all complete, I'll erect my umbrella antenna'd, speak and spell processed, extra terrestrial communication device so that I can get the exact coordinates to get back to my planet.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #29 by rbohm » Mon May 26, 2014 12:39 pm

mike1157 wrote:Damn it man,...you figured me out :twisted:

That's actually NOT a rocker cover at all,...It's purpose is to hide the flux capacitor underneath that I have cleverly "disguised" as a old-assed inline six.

When I get it all complete, I'll erect my umbrella antenna'd, speak and spell processed, extra terrestrial communication device so that I can get the exact coordinates to get back to my planet.

titan isnt that far away. you should be able to get there with a standard cell phone unit.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

mike1157

Post #30 by mike1157 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Titan? PFFFT, where I'm from, Going to Titan is done in a day. Kinda like one of your Sunday drives.
I'll get my man servant-robot to check into the accommodations there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIaxSxEqKtA

rocklord

Post #31 by rocklord » Mon May 26, 2014 3:01 pm

mike1157,
If you have roller rockers and a stock steel valve cover, Aussiespeed recommends a 6mm spacer:
http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product/ ... inum-ford/
If you use a EFI valve cover, they recommend a 10mm spacer:
http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product/ ... n-mustang/

The thicker spacer for the EFI is to offset the thicker alloy top.
Dan

Currently Own

mike1157

Post #32 by mike1157 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:14 pm

rocklord wrote:mike1157,
If you have roller rockers and a stock steel valve cover, Aussiespeed recommends a 6mm spacer:
http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product/ ... inum-ford/
If you use a EFI valve cover, they recommend a 10mm spacer:
http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product/ ... n-mustang/

The thicker spacer for the EFI is to offset the thicker alloy top.

I do have roller rockers, and I have milled the rocker stud pedestals to alow a guide plate, and conventional screw-in stud. The valve cover I made is 2" high and will clear the assemblies. That's why I was asking about the height of the stock cast cover height you have for sale, to determine whether or not it will work. If I have to use one of those spacers, the cost alone of the spacer will be cost prohibitive to going w/ the stock stuff.

chad

inter-galactic I6 travel w/o worries - U guys can wrk it out

Post #33 by chad » Mon May 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Son Ra never complained about price & he left the galaxy jazzily...
8^0

mike1157

Re: inter-galactic I6 travel w/o worries - U guys can wrk it

Post #34 by mike1157 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 pm

chad wrote:Son Ra never complained about price & he left the galaxy jazzily...
8^0

What kind of code is 8^0?

chad

Post #35 by chad » Mon May 26, 2014 10:50 pm

o0OPp, "Sun Ra"
WoW Mike, quick post back!

"...What kind of code is 8^0?..."
sposed ta be googlie eyes, a nose 'n mouth.
Know Sun Ray?

Sendin U the best on your build!
What's next?
Thanks 4 bringin me along.

xrwagon

Post #36 by xrwagon » Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 am

to infinity and beyond, drag race outside Area 51 is on this weekend, winner gets to disappear

vntgtrk

Post #37 by vntgtrk » Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 am

If I'm reading this correctly, all the mods were done on the crank and the cam? Is this strictly a race engine? I'd hate to have a timing chain break on my street car when I'm in the middle of nowhere, 100 degrees in the shade, freezing rain and in the dark

CNC-Dude

Post #38 by CNC-Dude » Tue May 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Another option is you can get Cloyes to make one for you and eliminate all this modification to the parts.

mike1157

Post #39 by mike1157 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 pm

vntgtrk wrote:If I'm reading this correctly, all the mods were done on the crank and the cam? Is this strictly a race engine? I'd hate to have a timing chain break on my street car when I'm in the middle of nowhere, 100 degrees in the shade, freezing rain and in the dark

A "race" will be the last thing this engine ever sees.

This is a get in, start up, put in gear, and drive to the grocery store (quickly),...
or
Get in, start up, put in gear, and drive 300 miles in one day (all while getting 30+ MPG)

Engine.

CNC dude is correct. More foresight on my part would've partially eliminated the custom work to the cam, crank, and gear..
In essence, the cam could've been made to accept the standard off the shelf cam timing gear. And I guess you could have had them source the 3DR 56 tooth melling chain (and charge you four times what I paid for it)

But beyond that, there'd still be that pesky crank gear that would've been too deep, the .050 off the crank that needed to go, and the keyway that need lengthening that stopped barely just under the crank gear.

And to your point.....
Where do you live where it is 100 degrees in the shade, while it is freezing rain and dark all at the same time?

The double true roller was made to work so I wont have to worry about breaking the STOCK chain in the middle of nowhere,...in the dark,...while it's freezing rain, and 100 degrees in the shade. :rolflmao:

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #40 by xctasy » Wed May 28, 2014 10:36 am

mike1157 wrote:
vntgtrk wrote:Where do you live where it is 100 degrees in the shade, while it is freezing rain and dark all at the same time?

Watch out.

Ford guys get it all the world over.

Not at the same time. but in a year...down here its as low as 78.08 deg F (25.6 deg C) in winter, and 105.8 deg F (41deg C) in summer.

And yearly rain fall as high as 10 in during a span of 24 hours, and 268 in in six months of the year.

Plff and gesh. You want snow, hail, heat and cold and dark all at the same time?

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecut ... 9.mp4.html

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecut ... 6.mp4.html

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecut ... w.mp4.html

My mates ex Alaskan Tempo and my ex California, ex Japan, New Zealand Mustang

Or the rain with import Mustangs

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

But hey, I';m in New Zealand's South Island at the roaring 40's.
Last edited by xctasy on Wed May 28, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluestang65

Post #41 by bluestang65 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:07 pm

This question might sound overly simplified, but I was under the impression that the inline 6 gained a lot of its smoothness from a balanced valvetrain. Even accounting for a wilder camshaft, it would seem that if a valve is opening, another is closing and so it would seem irrelevant whether the spring seat pressure were in the 400s or even beyond.

Not to discount the importance of having a true roller timing chain at all, but is spring seat pressure the reason? I'm very interested in the thread as I may very likely follow in your footsteps. I'm just asking how valve spring pressure should impact stress on the timing chain.

mike1157

Post #42 by mike1157 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:25 pm

bluestang65 wrote:This question might sound overly simplified, but I was under the impression that the inline 6 gained a lot of its smoothness from a balanced valvetrain. Even accounting for a wilder camshaft, it would seem that if a valve is opening, another is closing and so it would seem irrelevant whether the spring seat pressure were in the 400s or even beyond.

Not to discount the importance of having a true roller timing chain at all, but is spring seat pressure the reason? I'm very interested in the thread as I may very likely follow in your footsteps. I'm just asking how valve spring pressure should impact stress on the timing chain.

The stock spring pressure on a 250 is somewhere around 150 lbs open. I don't have to tell you that the mechanical "lever" that pries open that spring is the timing chain. Given that the timing chain that Ford so wisely chose to install, and the little metal chicken peen dowel on the cam to keep it properly clocked is barely adequate, it becomes a necessity when increasing the spring pressure by 2.5 times. The stock chain, prone to stretch is also reponsible for keeping the "event" timing accurate of when those valves are supposed to open, and close was/is further incentive to go through the [*]heck[*] of making a better mouse trap.

[*] Really??? You cant even say H *ll here?
Don't big boys play here too?

vntgtrk

Post #43 by vntgtrk » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Econoline wrote:Come on Mike, I think this is awesome! I'm in awe of what your doing with that 250, way beyond my skill set. Over the top :beer:

I agree. It'll be interesting to see dyno results

1Bad71

Post #44 by 1Bad71 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:00 pm

[quote="vntgtrk"] I agree. It'll be interesting to see dyno results[/quote]

Looking for forward to seeing it myself also!
"Remember when sex was safe and hot rods were dangerous?"

1971 Ford Mustang coupe:
250 c.i. inline 6 with an Autolite 2bbl w/ cable linkage, Superstock Plug wires, Pertronix Ignitor, Pertronix Flame Thrower coil and dual 12" Magnaflow glasspacks.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #45 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:00 am

Hello Mike. I just discovered this thread and read through it - very interesting. I usually hang out on the 240/300 forum and neglect the rest. Your build-up reminds me of some of the issues I had to work through to put a crossflow head on a 300 (oil pan, damper, keyway, valve springs, rocker arms, valve cover, yadda, yadda). I missed a lot of what plans you have for the vehicle, what type of vehicle, etc. so I don't know how high you plan to rev it, how much boost etc.

Did you ever consider a belt cam drive like a Jessel setup?

Some 300 racers who run crossflow heads to the extreme have bored the cam journals to a larger size, enabling a larger base circle on the lobes and a stronger cam in bending. With extreme spring pressures the cam billet has a tendency to deflect and not deliver the advertised lift to the valve. They also add additional bearing supports inside the block. Not saying you'll need all that (some of those guys have valve lift in excess if one inch!), just an FYI.

Good luck with your project. I for one find it interesting.

EDIT: I JUST READ YOUR VEHICLE DESCRIPTION ON YOUR SIGNATURE LINE
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #46 by xctasy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Two or three companies make the old APT Fast conversion (http://www.aptfast.com/)

with "white box" vernier adjustable belt drive kit for the venenerable A series 948/997/998/1098/1275 Mini Austin Healey Sprite MG Midget Morris A30. Since the Ford 200 uses the BMC A series double roller timing chain set, an easy swap.

The extra space in the 250 cam to crank distance would require a new Titan or Pirelli Isoran belt, but its doable

1.TRIGGER http://picclick.com.au/vernier-adjustab ... 39617.html

2. West classic Belt Drive Conversion Kit CAJJ3328 from http://west-classic.ch/data/documents/AH_2.pdf

3. MINI SPARES KIT http://www.minimania.com/Adjustable_bel ... _C_AJJ3328

Both use a Titan or Pirelli Isoran/ Innocenti Mini belt kit

Does10s
FSP Moderator

Post #47 by Does10s » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:22 am

Mike1157,
Funny that this is the first time I've seen this tread!! It's been here for 2 years and it just got bumped to the "new posts".

I would've commented on your timing chain way back when for sure! Nice to see someone else give that a try! I assume it was a success?

The one in Kelly's car is still working just fine!

Later,
Will
'86 Mustang, Turbocharged, Best ET: 10.70@132.
'69 Mustang Sportsroof, 351w, auto
'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

CNC-Dude

Post #48 by CNC-Dude » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Will, since this topic has come up time after time recently, could you or would you create a sticky as to how you did it or make a link to your original thread discussing it. Thanks!