Spring Clip Plates for Installing an 8" or 9" Rear

Moderator: Mod Squad

addo
VIP Member

Spring Clip Plates for Installing an 8" or 9" Rear

Post #1 by addo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:03 am

I found these on a 1972 Aussie ute (part prefix 72DA-AA). They are probably almost the same for '66-up US Rancheros. The difference between them and regular sedan plates, is these don't use the rubber sandwich insulators between the plate and leaf spring. The washers welded on, appear to be factory.

Looking here versus a pair of '62 US Comet ones, you can see the difference in size. U-bolts overlaid are regular fitting for the 9" rears.

I hope this clears up one of the regular questions about what to do, and look for during this rear end swap.

Adam.

HARVEY LIGHT

spring plates

Post #2 by HARVEY LIGHT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:23 pm

I just went to my local wrecking yard last friday and got the 8 inch rear AND the spring plates. The place pulled it for me since they don't allow you to do it yourself for insurance reasons. One plate was stamped R and the other was stamped L (I thought right and left) but then it hit me they were the same!!!. They both have the shock hole on the same side when they are laid side by side. My question is - WHAT happened?? Did ford just goof, did the parts puller goof, was I naive in thinking they would be mirror images, or is it that the shocks are staggered front/rear mount on the maverick?

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Re: spring plates

Post #3 by CoupeBoy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:41 pm

HARVEY LIGHT wrote:is it that the shocks are staggered front/rear mount on the maverick?
there are some Mavericks that have staggered shocks on the rear, it's been talked about before that this is an upgrade to control axle wrap.

-ron

Eric Rose

Re: spring plates

Post #4 by Eric Rose » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:56 am

CoupeBoy wrote:
HARVEY LIGHT wrote:is it that the shocks are staggered front/rear mount on the maverick?
there are some Mavericks that have staggered shocks on the rear, it's been talked about before that this is an upgrade to control axle wrap.

-ron

Granadas too... I got a rear end from a Granada that had staggered shocks. :bang:
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine. I get 10 miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.
- Mike Cooley, aka the Stroker Ace.