Spring Clip Plates for Installing an 8" or 9" Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

addo

Top Poster
VIP
REDLINE 10K
I found these on a 1972 Aussie ute (part prefix 72DA-AA). They are probably almost the same for '66-up US Rancheros. The difference between them and regular sedan plates, is these don't use the rubber sandwich insulators between the plate and leaf spring. The washers welded on, appear to be factory.

Looking here versus a pair of '62 US Comet ones, you can see the difference in size. U-bolts overlaid are regular fitting for the 9" rears.

I hope this clears up one of the regular questions about what to do, and look for during this rear end swap.

Adam.

I just went to my local wrecking yard last friday and got the 8 inch rear AND the spring plates. The place pulled it for me since they don't allow you to do it yourself for insurance reasons. One plate was stamped R and the other was stamped L (I thought right and left) but then it hit me they were the same!!!. They both have the shock hole on the same side when they are laid side by side. My question is - WHAT happened?? Did ford just goof, did the parts puller goof, was I naive in thinking they would be mirror images, or is it that the shocks are staggered front/rear mount on the maverick?

HARVEY LIGHT":1ti3vp8n said:
is it that the shocks are staggered front/rear mount on the maverick?
there are some Mavericks that have staggered shocks on the rear, it's been talked about before that this is an upgrade to control axle wrap.

-ron

CoupeBoy":jhc8d28a said:
HARVEY LIGHT":jhc8d28a said:
is it that the shocks are staggered front/rear mount on the maverick?
there are some Mavericks that have staggered shocks on the rear, it's been talked about before that this is an upgrade to control axle wrap.

-ron

Granadas too... I got a rear end from a Granada that had staggered shocks. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back