T-5 Conversion Swap for a 200 1966 Block with a 1967 Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are quite right! The bolt that was still "installed" was just 1" long and the threaded hole had another inch to go, so I bought a pair of 2" bolts and matching lockwashers and installed them. They held fine, and I was sure to torque them on the light side.

I couldn't believe how different the car felt after that! I mean, the gap at the base of the trans and b/housing was probably only a couple thousandths of an inch, like maybe 1* off flush mounted. The car has never felt so smooth, quiet, and composed on the highway at 70mph, and, perhaps more importantly, the shudder is gone!

I can't believe it's taken me this long to spot this problem. I've been down there many times lately, servicing the shift linkage, inspecting u-joints, etc. with my head RIGHT NEXT to the bolts.

Oh well, I'm glad to have it fixed!

Still going to be looking into an overdrive swap though ;)

350k,
I think the Summit info is incorrect. Here is the specs from "Ram Clutches" web site (scroll down to where it says 'Mustang 6 CYL.':

http://www.ramclutches.com/Applications/ford_1.htm

eng/ years/ app./ OEM set/ PG set/ size/ spline
3.3L 79 82 200 C.I. 88727 - 98727 - 9 1/16 -1 1/16-10

The input shaft diameter and disc fit correctly, in fact it is the exact same size as the old disc from my 3.03 three speed.

My flywheel is commonly called "the 9in. flat flywheel" found on '66 and later (although it is obviously larger than 9 in. to accomodate the pp and disc):

http://www.phlegm.us/tech/drivetrain/67Flywheel.jpg

That's a serious looking clutch setup :shock: You must be planning on making some serious hp

The summit info says '87, 2.3l, as you mentioned, and specs 'seem' correct, but first thing that jumps out at me is the bolt spacing on the pp. I don't recall the pp bolts being even spaced like those look.

If you check that ram link above it lists only two pp/clutch setups for the 2.3l that are not 8.5 inch, and they're both for the SVO (one appears to be correct specs the other is different 9.25 inch diameter). I think the '215mm clutch' (aka 8.5 inch) sticky in this section talks about this. Also, at the bottom of this page:

http://www.phlegm.us/tech/drivetrain/GeneralInfo.html

It only mentions compatability of the 2.3l & SVO with the 8.5 inch setup. I'm also wondering if that centerforce pp is made for a hydraulic clucth setup and how that would match up. Anyway, you may have only wanted the short answer which is, I don't know. You might want to pose that as a new question in Drivetrain or use the good ol' search button.
Good luck!

I don't necessarily need a clutch that strong, I may just need one stronger than what you're using. I did search all of summit and your clutch appears to be the only one that will mate between our T5 and 3.3L. I have been searching for another one. Have you seen any other diaphragm style clutches that could work with your/my setup?

Interesting read, saved to Favorites. As a newbie with a 'new' 66 Falcon SW, I'll be looking to replace the 2.73? (non-synchronous) trans with a T-5. My one main concern was the shifter location coming up through the tunnel, especially with a bench seat. The SW has a 3.25 rear and appears to be a dual-pattern 66 block (6A24 casting date) with a 2-bolt starter, is that possible? As for using the adapter, is the T-5 input shaft shorter than the OE 2.73's?. I was told that there was a T-shaped bushing that some people used before adapters were available, anyone heard of such a thing?

Thanks,
RodC

Best bet with a bench seat might be to consider using a different tail shaft housing on your T-5. I'm drawing a complete blank on it right now :banghead:, but it may be on the tranny pages linked above or check out rickwrench's and some of the other falcon owners like powerband who used a creative shifter rod solution, but the falcon tail shaft housing swap is usually dictated by where the shifter hole is located in the older round bodies. AFAIK the 1st gen mustang shifter hole location did not change even with the bench seat...so all that may be moot :LOL:
EDIT: whoops read '66 Falcon, but thinking mustang...may need to consider driveshaft swap

With your rearend ratio you're set up well for a bent8 T5.

Not familiar with a "t-shaped bushing", but adapter plate is dictated by BH casting number C5 (aka '65) and earlier, special adapter plate through either Mike@Classic Inlines (forum sponsor), Modern Driveline, or DIY
C6 ('66) one year only bell adapter
C7 & later sbf bell adapter

Late 80's to Early 90's T5 is a longer input than the 2.77, so the adapter takes care of that and pilot bushing is dependent on T-5 type 4cyl or bent8.

It's a very straight forward swap since you already have a stnd tranny, and all the info you need should be on the pages linked above, but feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
It's a great mod! Good luck (y)

EDIT 2: recovered memory :roll: :D believe the tail shaft swap is from an S-10

Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the term "bent8". I'm assuming one from a V6-V8? I may take you up on Pming you later when the time comes. Bookmarking this for now.

RodC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back