05-10 brakes for our cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xargon321

Well as some of you know i was working on fitting the oem 4 piston k/h brakes this turned out to try and nickel and dime me to death and because there was a lot of custom parts needed if you where going to use the 6 cyl spindles. Mustangsteve has made a bracket that will bolt 05-10 gt disc brakes unfortunately this requires 17" or larger wheels, i have modded it a bit and was able to bolt on the 05-10 v6 disc brakes the difference is between the gt and the v6 is a smaller rotor and the caliper bracket to fit that rotor that's it. the v6 setup requires 16" or larger wheels unfortunately, but the parts are cheep and readily available rotors are 30 each and pads are 30, calipers a 40 Plus a core if you dont have them. i got this kit and have modded it to fit the v6 brakes and drilled the rotor to fit the 4 lug bolt pattern. and because it uses you're existing drum hub all parts except the spindle bracket is off the shelf. im posing pictures for those of you who are interested in this swap.

Here Re the Pics of the setup on my test spindle

This shows the whole setup all together
2MDMA.jpg

This shows where i had to mod the bracket to fit the v6 caliper bracket if i didnt the caliper would hit the bracket and not let it move
bTKS7.jpg

This one shows the splash shield and the spacer i had to make to get the rotor not to hit the caliper bracket its used along with the one included with the kit i made it longer so i could mount the splash shield on it.
dLMl0.jpg

This is just the back of the spindle showing where the splash shield mounts to.
3xVmm.jpg

What year spindles are you using?

The 65 & 66 Mustang I6 and V8 spindles are different from each other. The 67+ Mustangs had the same spindles for I6 and V8.

i am using 65 mustang spindles it would be easy to use on 67+ as well as you use the hub off you're drums so there is no swapping. this is for the drum spindles only tho it wont fit disc spindles of 68-69 iirc

Xargon321":590xukgz said:
i am using 65 mustang spindles it would be easy to use on 67+ as well as you use the hub off you're drums so there is no swapping. this is for the drum spindles only tho it wont fit disc spindles of 68-69 iirc

I take it then you are using 65 V8 spindles?

This is pretty freakin cool Xargon321! How did you work out the bearings to get that rotor to work? I'm guessing the 16" vs 17" requirement under Steve's normal kit opens up some tire options without requiring fender rolling?? How's she stopping?...gotta be good
EDIT: Also, did the v6 caliper bracket bolt right up to Steve's bracket and serve as the template for you to cut clearance for the caliper? If so this sounds pretty straight forward. You should add part numbers and this should get 'stuck', heck it could be the basis of a 'disc brake' sticky folks have asked about. <<oriental bow>> :nod:

Can you show exactly what you had to modify? Without the before shot we don't really know what you've done.

I should have added this earlier, but kept forgetting. A while back I asked Steve about this directly.. I was asking about available upgrades for the 1963.5 Falcon that I acquired a couple years back (not a fordsix), these emails were from November 2009. In the last quote from Steve I bolded the information that I think you are looking for.
coupeboy":3r3urfrl said:
And one last question, do you know if your brake conversion kits would work with any other factory Mustang brakes? I don't like the looks of 17"rims on the older Falcons and Mustangs, and would like to stay with a 15" 16" rim.
MustangSteve":3r3urfrl said:
The 05-010 V6 disc brakes trheoretically bolt up to my GT2008 brackets, but the drum hub will not fit inside the rotor without removing what I consider to be too much material from the hub O.D.

If I was building a 63 Falcon, and wanted to run 15" wheels, I would opt for the original Kelsey Hayes 4-piston setup that came on them, or on 65-67 mustangs. They are good brakes with 11" rotors. See attached spreadsheet for parts needed. (I do not sell any of those brake parts, but would be happy to assist in setting up your power brakes and bearings)
Some time went by and I contacted him again
CoupeBoy":3r3urfrl said:
This weekend I was looking through my older Mustang magazines and in the September or October issues of Mustang and Modified Ford they had a 2 part series on brake upgrades (yours is mentioned), but there was another company (sorry I don't have the company name or the magazines with me) that had similar brackets to yours and they specifically said theirs could be used with V6 and the 11.25 rotors to accomodate 15" tires.

Ideally I'd like to buy adapters/brackets that let me use the newest possible brake rotors and calipers in conjunction with the older style spindles. My goal is to be able to drive it and buy replacement parts (consumables) from the nearest parts store or dealership (or even junkyard if need be) so the idea of investing in the old style 4 piston calipers is probably not going to go any farther then this email since it would always be special order. I am really interested in knowing which part of the hub assembly had to be machined that makes you uncomfortable with it's safety.
MustangSteve":3r3urfrl said:
About the V6 calipers... I had COBRA and 99+ GT calipers on the brain from a previous email from someone else, and the non-fit of the hub in the rotor was referring to the 99+ GT calipers on my Cobra brackets.

The 05+ V-6 caliper will indeed fit the early drum hub. I actually did a fit test with a set last year. The problem is that when I designed my GT2008 caliper brackets, I designed them specifically for the GT version and did not consider that if I had trimmed 1/8" off the inner bracket that the V-6 parts would fit also. That said, if one wanted to use the V6 calipers on my brackets, some grinding for clearance would be required. I use the same inner brackets for Cobra and GT2008 brakes, so a change would require alot of rework. By replacing the outer brackets, you can swap from GT2008 to Cobra in about an hour.

Since the GT2008 bracket set is not that big of a seller yet, I probably won't redesign them any time soon. I imagine you are talking about Street & Track, who is actually one of my suppliers on some other stuff. Other than their selection of non grip-length specific bolts, theirs should work as well as mine if you decide to go that route. I would rather send a customer to a competitor if it makes their buildup better, and hope that you buy something else from me in the future that better suits your needs. I would rather improve the hobby for everyone rather than make a few bucks.
If you haven't even contacted Steve, but you have a question, I recommend shooting him an email. He is fairly responsive and has a lot of information that he is willing to share.

Also if you are interested in the spreadsheet listing allt he parts for the Kelsey Hayes brakes, instead of this image..
caliperParts.jpg
Just shoot me a PM with an email address. The document he provided has links to a lot of the parts directly.
-ron

Sorry i do not have a Before shot :banghead: got excited and went to town. what i did was the grind on the bottom of the caliper bracket where is hits the Mustangsteve's bracket about 1/8th or so and it will bolt up, then traced the elongated u shape as seen in the pics above out and took it to a machine shop to cut out other wise this would not allow the caliper to slide. the hubs are normal 65 mustang hubs so bearings are 65 mustang I6 bearing and the like all i did to the rotor was have it drilled for 4x4.5 and boom it fits on the hubs with the hub ring supplied with MS's kit. i did replace the wheel stud and had to cut the shoulder off the studs to keep from reaming the stud holes in the hubs bigger and ruining them ( i ruined 2 hubs before i caught on :oops: :banghead: :banghead: )

so far this kit seems to stop better then the gm calipers but i am running into pedal ratio problems at the moment ( darn cheap booster, looking at MS's brake booster kit as well! ) so i cannot test how much better they stop but they do bite better then the others right now. i did the v6 mustang discs because i wanted to keep my just gotten 16" konig rewinds and the v6 rotors and caliper brackets fit the bill.

parts are as follows

2005-2010 Mustang V6
Rotors 11.5 inch rotors will have to be drilled for 4 lug
part # BR54130 (Pronto off rockauto)
Calipers and brackets (this is important the v6 has different caliper brackets then the v8 but calipers are the same most should say s197 v6 on the bracket)
Left # 14161114 Right # 14161113 (they are centric part # off rockauto)

65-66 mustang L6
Inner and outer wheel bearings
inner wheel bearing seals

65-66 V8(maybe more)
Wheel studs for Full cast drum is what i used Dorman 610-153 Please check and make sure you're studs are not swedged first if you press those studs out without cutting the shoulder off first you will ream out the hold and ruin you're hub!!

the Hoses i dont have a Clue on they came with my first kit and luckly for me they fit the 05-10 mustang calipers using the same size banjo bolt the the gm metric calipers did ( 10mm 1.5m thread pitch)

It has been a while and i have not posted pic of installed brake on my car... well here they are been using them for a while and they are very good.

58S1Wjvl.jpg

WAvAUnzl.jpg

0kyY6eFl.jpg

What did you end up using for a master and any changes needed on the pedal assembly?

Right now im using a 95 explorer Mc ports are on the drivers side, but im thinking about going down to a 1" bore MC i have to double foot it to lock them up. the pedal setup is a mustangsteve setup with the pedal pin moved to make it right for a power brake booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back