$50 paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwrench

Famous Member
Very interesting thread from Mopar forum:
50 Dollar Paint Job

The interesting part starts about 8-10 posts down, then, it's about 40 pages of info.
I have to say I considered the idea of rolling on paint as ridiculous, BUT, I just finished a few experimental coats on the hood of the Corvair, which, prior to prep, had seven year old Rustoleum rattle can paint, (well used race vehicles get no respect).
And...Holy Crap! It works!
I'm going to do the whole car.
I mixed the Rustoleum (Tremclad = Rustoleum) paint 50/50 with mineral spirits, and used a 4" wide, high density foam roller, as instructed. Using the mineral spirits slows the flash and lets the paint self level very well. 2 coats - wet sand, 2 coats - wet sand, 2 coats - wet sand, let cure and then finish.
Lots of elbow grease and patience involved but I suspect most folks here have much more sweat equity in their cars than wallet equity.
Not a high zoot show finish, but, so far, it looks every bit as good as a single stage acrylic. As with all paint jobs, prep is 90% of the result.
Rick

Well, THAT one is bookmarked. I know what I'll be doing when I get home this October...The Comet is gettin' a paintjob!

That is very interesting. I think I might try it. I have a crappy $700 paint job. There are tons of imperfections, some were there before I had it painted. But can you only do basic colors? No pearls or metallics?

Good question.
There aren't too many Rustoleum colors to choose from. Their web site lists the oil based rust paints they have available in a can. I don't know what kind of distribution you'd get trying to roll on pearls or metalics. My guess is that they'd be clumpy.
I'm doing white with a blue Yenko stripe on the Corvair. I'm only out $46 wallet dollars, so far. Time is another story.
Rick(wrench)

According to the guy on the other forum, pearls and metallics are a no-go because of the short length of time that they dry in. You gotta spray them or they'll "flash"-dry before you're halfway done with a roller.

This is for a very period-correct look. I can remember before they switched to base/clear and I like the look of a well-buffed single stage better. It may not be quite as shiny, but the colors are very rich. As a bonus, you can repair chips easily.

if u want metallic just take some craft glitter and put it on the paint while its wet, then when the paint is dry just brush off the excess.....hehe.

At the very least, when I replace my front fenders I am going to try this on one of the old fenders and see how it looks in person.

I'm not saying I would do this, but I am awfully curious.

I think i might try this out and if it is as durable as said it might be a replacement for acrylic enamel (Professionals please speak up if its still better to do acrylic enamel for whatever reasons..ie durability or whatever)...i usually find myself wetsanding and polishing anyways to get a really nice orange peel free shine.

where do you get this paint, cause I heard that termclad paint is not available in the US, but I would be interested in doing this I just don;t know what paint to use ?

I've been working on this all weekend, lots of work but I think results depend on how much patience and how much effort you want to put into it (like anything else). I'm about to do final wetsand and polish, will post complete results including before shots in "eye candy" section here but here's pics after 3 coats and 1 wetsand:

DSC02648.jpg

DSC02645.jpg

Don't have closeups yet but I gotta say the pics are a little better looking than in person, I've got a lot of orange peel and some drips I didn't spend the time sanding out, but I'm way better off than what I started out with!

Yeah it's tape, it came off easily considering it was about 95 degrees out...

DSC02708.jpg

... But it's going to have to go on again, unless I can find a way to keep somebody 6 feet away from the car at all times, or only take it out at night, in which cases it looks great!

I have a lot of sanding and repainting ahead of me. I didn't wetsand enough or properly on mine, too many roll marks in the light on hood and trunk lid, sides aren't too bad. Color is actually darker royal blue, and it is nice and rich in general. I'll keep at it...

not too shabby for how little you spent. good work. 8)

also, i hope the sunburn gets better. sunscreen has become a life saver for me in florida :LOL:

not bad at all for such little work and money

with patience....which I dont have...it could turn out nice

Not too shabby! At the least, it's a big improvement over what it was. I want to do it even more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back