Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really new here. I think this is my first post. I wanted to say how awesome this thread is. I never even thought about ever adding a turbo before reading this, but now, when I get around to doing the engine, it's a possibility.

That page where Linc first gets massive boost is a trip to read.

My project:

1966 Mustang. My dad became the mechanic on it when my grandmother became the car's second owner in 1967. Dad had a one-man professional shop from 1972 to 2003 and before that worked at a Ford dealership as a mechanic.

I'm the third owner. 200 block has never been pulled. 100,056 original miles. Bone stock. Good strong, smooth runner. 1967 C4 transmission. Rebuilding front suspension and doing Shelby Drop this winter. Added Monte Carlo bar. Should be back on its tires in four weeks. Did a lot of rust repair and then extensive body repairs after an uninsured driver took me out almost four years ago. Repainted two years ago. Gets about 1,500 to 3,000 miles from April to October.

I was a newbie when it came to the body, so it's a 20 footer.

Anyway, go Linc!!

I have to admit nice fabrication skills! This is exactly what i want to do on my 1980 Stang, but i figured i'd first deal with the shortcomings of the stock head and intake...i need to look over more of this thread but you're on the same track as i want to go! how much will ya sell the settup for? J/k..

I must say I read this whole thread today, not the quickest task, and it brought tears to my eyes and ideas to my brain. I'm getting an 81 Fox with a I6, and t-roofs 8) , and this thread has made me giddy as a school girl. All I have is a turbo from an 89 chrysler lancer and have no clue what it is, but the car is free and runs so my money can be invested in parts. I look forward to reading through this thread many many times... was totally worth reading all 7 pages . Oh and great work.

:wow: :wow: :wow: :nod:

2.3L SVO used a 2.3L Lima OHC motor.

The 2.3L you are referring to is a 2.3L HSC which was based on the tooling of the 200 inline six.

Either way that gives you cast pistons which are not a good choice for a turbo motor. If your going turbo I recommend biting the bullet and buying forged pistons.

I am building a turbo 200 and went forged pistons. Couldnt really afford them but also felt I couldnt afford not to as a rebuild if anything went wrong would be expensive.

As for the Lancer turbo IIRC that is a 2.2L with a Garrett T3 but the T3 on the Chrysler is unique to the Chrysler. Different mounting flange and low A/R to spool up faster.

JOSH1966200":1d2pjs58 said:
a 2.3 svo piston swaps out with stock to up compression i have 2 for sale because i needed 2 sets (y)

I checked the specs on a piston for a 2.3L OHC engine used in the SVO. Here they are.

Bore 3.81
pin diameter 0.912
Compression height 1.59

The specs for the 200/250 piston is: Bore 3.68, pin diameter. 0.9122, Compression height 1.500

The piston is 0.13 larger in diameter and would not fit the block.

JOSH1966200":25v3x0vf said:
could be that my block was bored but the svo swap worked for me

Measure one of the extra pistons you have and tell us what the diameter is.

The recommended maximum overbore for a 200 block is +0.060".
To use a SVO piston from a 2.3L turbo, you would have to overbore +0.130.

Should not be possible to use a SVO piston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_HSC_engine

The HSC ("High Swirl Combustion") is an automobile engine from Ford Motor Company sold from 1984 until 1994. It was produced in Lima, Ohio, largely using tooling and designs adapted from the predecessor 200 CID straight 6.
The 2.3 L (2301 cc, 140 CID) version was introduced in 1984 for the Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz. Bore is 3.68 in (93.5 mm) and stroke is 3.3 in (83.8 mm)[1]. This engine produced 90 hp (67 kW) and 125 ft·lbf (169 N·m) of torque[2].

This is the one with the same piston diameter.

I'm crushed............ Read though and was excited about the possibilities of V2.0.

Anyone know how Linc's 200 is doing? I hope all is well.

Rev

how do you regulate the boost 20 psi of boost would require how much psi on the waste gate and bov would it all be at 20 psi or would they be regulated differently

64 200 ranchero":17ntc4ow said:
how do you regulate the boost 20 psi of boost would require how much psi on the waste gate and bov would it all be at 20 psi or would they be regulated differently

Unless the waste gate had a 20 psi spring in it,(unlikely) then boost was controlled via an external boost controller (either manual, or electric) that applied pressure from the turbo to the top of the waste gate diaphragm, effectively increasing the force of the waste gate spring. How much additional pressure to achieve 20 P.S.I. is directly related to what spring was in the waste gate in the first place. The BOV has nothing to do w/ regulating boost, it's purpose is to vent boost to atmosphere when the throttle is closed.

Hey I know this is a really old post but do you mind giving me some updated information on how you turbocharged your inline 6. I'm trying to turbocharge my 66 mustang inline 6 and was just wondering if you could give me some tips and pictures if you still have the car on how you did it. How much did it cost, was it simple to do? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back