Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linc's 200

It is a Fox body, has more room to work with

(edited bad photo links)

That last pic was so we could run it and make sure there were no leaks. The downpipe is temporary (of course!!!) and was in place so we could start it at 2 AM and not wake all the neighbors (The interior of a car makes a great muffler!)

I now have the permanent downpipe in place, and the exhaust all the way to the tip is done. I am also in the middle of finishing the intercooler set-up and will be posting more pics soon.

Peace out,
Linc

Hmmmm.....HTML is "off".....How do I turn it "on" so the pictures will show?

For now you will have to copy and paste to see the pictures.....

Let's see how these come out - - - - -

J -pipe

6d8f6cea.jpg

housing mounted

02381cf8.jpg

78277a0a.jpg

afcd9cf0.jpg

Test run for leaks

1a52289e.jpg

That's working! Yeah, I find the exhaust routing a little unsettling. ;)

addo":3aq74tvi said:
That's working! Yeah, I find the exhaust routing a little unsettling. ;)

It was just for 10 minutes.

All of my neighbours are great people - except for one mid-40's widow that tries to find fault in everything. I was trying not to wake her up. The starter/ring gear was making plenty of racket, though!

Downpipe near trans bell, multiple compound angles not noticable (starter is in a bad place!!)

9fc97de8.jpg

another angle of downpipe separation flange, near trans bell:

b62f2f3f.jpg

pipe exit in front of right rear tire:

d614ce1e.jpg

inside left front wheelwell, intercooler ducting:

1db81a72.jpg

intercooler mounted, progress on ducting

72fdbbad.jpg

Carb hat/bonnet nearing completion, has Blow off valve mounted on rear, needs wedge shape pieces welded in to be finished

e1e39636.jpg

Sweet Project! I could tell it was a fox body when some of the lines/cables and the shock towers were looking like the ones on my zephyr. How much power do you think it will be putting out? And sound/vid when your finished?

What are you doing to ensure that that carb won't be running too lean at WOT under boost? :shock: :shock: :shock: Because it will unless you do something?

Mustangaroo":3937i3y4 said:
What are you doing to ensure that that carb won't be running too lean at WOT under boost?

The only enrichening mod to the carb is a modification I did to the power valve,, which is in the bottom of the float bowl and moved with a vacuum actuated plunger above. It adds about 30% more fuel once the carb reaches 1-2" mercury.

I also have an alcohol injection kit that is not pictured, but will be added. It will spray directly into the top of the carb, aimed at the center of the venturi.

Nitroracer":3ezf4lih said:
Sweet Project!

Thanks! The '84 it is in is my guinea pig for testing, If I get it sorted out so that it runs well, I may swap it into my '82 (my nicer car)

Nitroracer":3ezf4lih said:
How much power do you think it will be putting out? And sound/vid when your finished?

I am hoping for 200 HP to the wheels for now. I am only using the 1 bbl, because I like to do my projects in steps to see how much difference each mod makes. Even though I decided to intercool it for now, once it is tuned a bit I plan to blow directly from the turbo to the carb to get an idea how much difference the intercooler makes.

If the 1 bbl is just a PITA, I will swap on a motorcraft 2 bbl I have already built up. I like that is already has a solid float, that will open and not close when fuel sloshes, and has annular venturis. After I play with it a bit, I will try a holley I have.

My video camera is just plain 8mm, I don't know how to convert it to digital files.

The engine in the car is bone stock everything,, which I call phase one. I have another 200 with no ridge and still has factory cross-hatching that is getting a set of forged pistons, the head will be ported, and all studs everywhere.

I plan to see just how far a stock 200 can be pushed, and at what HP level something gives. I hope it is the head gasket that gives first (stock steel shim) so I can keep playing with it. I am hoping to get 250 RWHP or more before something gives way, and hopefully 300 before something breaks.

I want to use the data from the stock engine to prepare the next one.

I have been taking notes from others, like Will and Kelly, and will try to duplicate some of their efforts and maybe even improve on a few. I am VERY VERY interested in hearing everyone's input about what failures they have experienced (besides head gaskets) so I can be prepared to make the upgrades before something breaks.

Linc's,

Can't wait to hear how it runs when you get it done. Looks good! Although I'm sure you know not to load the engine heavily without the compressor hooked up to the manifold - a word of caution to others building their turbo setup - many a turbo has been damaged by overspeed. There's no compressor load to slow the turbine down. As you go through your different transformations, I would be interested in the psi readings if you hooked your boost gage before and after the carb and a short piece of metal oil sender line to the exhaust manifold (separately of course). The readings would be very interesting as you change combinations. I personally think the one-barrel carb will act a boost restriction. I also feel a 200 will make about the same hp as a 250 if built the same just at a higher rev range, being the cylinder heads are the same.

Dude,
Looks good, but where's your wastegate? You'll have no control over the turbine speed just like Drag-200stang said.
If you want some advice just save your frustration and go straight to the Holley 2bbl carb. Don't even bother with the 1bbl.
Keep up the good work!
Will

drag-200stang":3jb1drrt said:
Although I'm sure you know not to load the engine heavily without the compressor hooked up to the manifold

Yeah, I have run it up to maybe 2000 rpm at the most, just to see how much air it was moving. I am very surprised to find it was putting out pretty good boost at low RPM's. I had my hand partially covering the discharge to load it a bit and build pressure.

As you go through your different transformations, I would be interested in the psi readings if you hooked your boost gage before and after the carb and a short piece of metal oil sender line to the exhaust manifold (separately of course). The readings would be very interesting as you change combinations.

I will have a 2" boost gauge that measures vac and boost in the intake, and also a larger one (3") that measures bonnet pressure only (they are what I had). The "J" pipe has an O2 bung in it (made from Explorer exhaust scraps) and I can tap into that. I am curious to see what pressures are, as well.

I personally think the one-barrel carb will act a boost restriction.

You are correct, the venturi is maybe 1.125" in diameter, pretty small - - - but it is important to try it, since it is part of the experiment. I am going to try to tune it the best I can before changing to a 2 bbl and noting the difference. The engine pulls very strong (with no turbo) to about 3500 RPM, so I am thinking the stock single 1 bbl is good for low end torque until boost takes over.

Does10s":321y9ko9 said:
Dude,
Looks good, but where's your wastegate?

I have one, but I am not planning to use it - - -yet. My compressor is only 47mm (S-3 trim) so I am not expecting great things from it!! (I need a 58mm like you, Will)

I will do my first full boost run on 100LL avgas, and will see where boost climbs to. If I hear knocking I will get out of the throttle, take it home, and add alcohol injection. This is just a play toy, so I am not worried about having to run race gas and alcohol injection.

Does10s":321y9ko9 said:
If you want some advice just save your frustration and go straight to the Holley 2bbl carb. Don't even bother with the 1bbl.
Keep up the good work!
Will

Thanks, Will - - but I have to try the 1 bbl as a baseline. I want to see what each step is worth.

INSTALL THE WASTEGATE!!!!
Once you floor it the boost will continue to climb WAY past anything that the motor can handle. You will have absolutely no control over the boost level.
This happened to us on Kelly's car. After a turbine housing swap I forgot to connect the wastegate control line from the turbo. During a test drive I floored it and by the time I noticed the boost gauge, it was already passing 20lbs. and climbing! I couldn't lift the throttle fast enough. We didn't hurt anything but could have!

The BOV is NOT a boost control device. Although I suppose if you don't hook up the vacuum line and install a very weak spring then it might be able to release enough pressure to help. But you still won't have any control over turbine speed. The turbine RPM will just keep climbing until the blades fall apart or the bearing galls up!
Good luck!
Will

Does10s":2avcepkr said:
INSTALL THE WASTEGATE!!!!
You will have absolutely no control over the boost level.
.......by the time I noticed the boost gauge, it was already passing 20lbs......

I am a very cautious tester. I plan to watch the boost gauge the whole time, it is the primary instrument.

I thank you for your concern, but I am well aware as to how quickly boost can rise. I just have to watch the gauge and let off of the gas.

Man oh man, this stuff takes way more time to put together than it should.

Rules for Project Six are:

1) use what you have already.
2) If you don't have it - - find someone to give it to you for free
or buy it as cheap as you can.
3) Don't get too serious - this is for fun!
4) Try not to make it look too terribly cobbled together. A little is OK but you can't be totally embarrased to let anyone look under the hood.

I finally got the "turbo to intercooler" side done. It is all TIG'ed together and is made from stainless exhaust pipe scraps. Well, everything in this whole installation is exhaust scraps! Cut, fit and TIG,... cut, fit and TIG,... etc. etc.

a0cde3f2.jpg

Another pass side shot:

3ec85a95.jpg

intercooler tubes from the front - pass side on left, driver's side on right (US, not Aussie!)

inttubes.jpg

More to come

Oh yeah, Will......I have the head off of my other '82 200 in my friend's machine shop, getting the log milled so I can get ready to mount a 2-bbl Autolite on it. I am also doing a full port job on it and installing bronze guides and stainless valves. It won't go on until I need to swap heads.

I am hoping a head gasket will be the first failure. (gotta push it till something gives) The stock steel shim type gasket is the currently installed one. This engine has never been opened since it left the factory.

I don't have the means to "roll a bead" on the tube ends (to keep the rubber couplers from blowing off) so I spot welded little blobs. Strike arc with TIG, start small puddle, add a tiny blob of metal, let cool.

tubeends.jpg

Mustangaroo":49rmaxpx said:
What are you doing to ensure that that carb won't be running too lean at WOT under boost?

I just got back from its maiden voyage - - 6 psi is all she makes, with the foot on the floor and lots of missfiring. It sounds like a lean miss. Pulls beautifully until 4 psi, then all the noise starts.

I guess the drilled PV wasn't enough.

I'm going to pull the top of the carb off and drill some more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back