hmmm, wonder how well it will hold up then
Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

Linc's 200

Post #102 by Linc's 200 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:28 pm

66Sprint6 wrote:hmmm, wonder how well it will hold up then
Matt

Just fine.

In fact, among the V8 circles, the stock replacement "autozone" sourced Fel-Pro 8548-PT2 is actually a better head gasket and can handle more abuse than the higher-priced so-called "High Performance" head gasket Fel-Pro sells. Go figure.

gravelrash

Post #103 by gravelrash » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:31 pm

linc200 can you please post up a piccy of the boost referenced fuel pump, i cannot for the life of me see how it would work especially under vacum. my thoughts are that under vacum it would suck the fuel back up the hose into the intake.

66Sprint6

Post #104 by 66Sprint6 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:51 pm

Thanks Linc, makes me feel a little better, lol!!! Im going to be driving my car daily so I dont want anything to go wrong, you know
Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

Linc's 200

Post #105 by Linc's 200 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:46 pm

gravelrash wrote:linc200 can you please post up a piccy of the boost referenced fuel pump,....... under vacum ...........

The fuel pump never sees vacuum.

The fuel pump vent is referenced to the carby hat, so that it only sees pressure when boost comes on.

Kstang

Post #106 by Kstang » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:47 pm

So you said you ran a 10.2 in the 1/8? What was your MPH I ran a 10.2 at 60 or 61 with a 2.22 60' on a un tuned oz 4v, T5, stock every thing else. Broken clutch, and cracked block.

Linc's 200

Post #107 by Linc's 200 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 am

Kstang wrote:So you said you ran a 10.2 in the 1/8? What was your MPH?

I think it was around 65 mph...

I never even got one full, clean run without running out of fuel before the end of the eighth arrived.

The last three days at work have been from noon until 4 AM....
man, am I ever going to get a break??!!??

More goodies arrived today....my 10" 3000 RPM stall-speed torque converter has arrived!! (for my 164 tooth '82 flexplate) and also a fogger nozzle and jets.

I *WILL* make this thing launch!

XR8240

Post #108 by XR8240 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:49 am

very nice and you did it yourself...
Good on you from down under...

Linc's 200

Post #109 by Linc's 200 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:37 pm

I am still working on a totally new fuel system. Gone is the mechanical boost referenced pump - the check valves (namely the inlet) seem to be the weak point, and as fuel pressure climbs it damages whatever material/design the inlet check valve is made of. I estimate it would be fine for 10 psi applications, but I am not happy at that boost level since I know what 20 feels like.

I still need some more fittings for my Aeromotive regulator, and to run a return line. I will keep you posted.... (work is killing me)

boston774

Post #110 by boston774 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:57 am

Out of curiosity, do you find that the 1946 can pass enough fuel to support the horsepower you are making?

Linc's 200

Post #111 by Linc's 200 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:36 pm

boston774 wrote:Out of curiosity, do you find that the 1946 can pass enough fuel to support the horsepower you are making?

From the float bowl into the venturi - YES.

Through the inlet needle and seat into the float bowl? I don't know, I am trying to wrap up the new fuel system, then I'll see.

I can remember when I had the *one* good mechanical pump on, it would handle 20 psi while shifting 1-2-3, so maybe the inlet needle and seat are fine at 27 psi!! (boost referenced)

It is almost 6 PM, I have maybe three hours max to see what I can do to finish it up and get it ready for the drags tomorrow after work!

Linc's 200

Post #112 by Linc's 200 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:40 pm

Oh yeah, I changed to day shift at work, and met a guy who builds racing transmissions on the side. I am going to yank the stock C5, have him go through my big bell C4, then I can swap it in along with my new 10", 3200 RPM torque converter! That is going to help - - - a LOT!!

We'll see if my new fuel system fixes my problems so I can make a clean run. Then the good trans/converter go in to drop the 60 ft times.

drag-200stang

Post #113 by drag-200stang » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:59 pm

Linc's,

Good luck at the track today. I know you said your engine was stock. Are you concerned about the weak valve springs hindering performance? Have they been shimmed or replaced? I favor solid lifter cams - to me they're simpler to set up - no pump up. I may be too old school. I know you mentioned that you're working on a 2-barrel set up. Something I know is that 200's love tri-power and 200's love turbos. I don't think combining them has ever been done before. Two more needles can't hurt fuel availability. Maybe you're the man to do it!
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

Linc's 200

Post #114 by Linc's 200 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:17 pm

"Are you concerned about the weak valve springs hindering performance?"

Not when the trans is shifting as low as it is. I am not going to be concerned unless they pose a problem. We'll see. If any damage does occur, you will all find out about HERE!!

"Have they been shimmed or replaced?"

Nope. Stock 1xx,xxx somthing miles. Never had the valve cover off.

" I know you mentioned that you're working on a 2-barrel set up. Something I know is that 200's love tri-power and 200's love turbos. I don't think combining them has ever been done before. Two more needles can't hurt fuel availability. Maybe you're the man to do it!"

Interesting idea - I am game.

Actually, I have another idea, you can see the (rough) sketch I posted here: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26454

Stubby
VIP Member

Post #115 by Stubby » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:52 pm

Just keep in mind. When you figure the sq in of valve dia x boost pres. You might need more seat pressure. It would not be valve float at rpms but valve bounce on the seat at high boost. I am not trying to tell you how to do it just giving food for thought.

Linc's 200

Post #116 by Linc's 200 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:56 pm

There was a huge discussion about this at turbomustangs.com

I could find it if I look around.

The consensus was there were some guys that had problems and some didn't.

There was all kinds of theory, that YES - the valve does have more pressure on the back side of it, but there is WAY more on the front side, so better springs won't necessarily help.

I am going to run it the way it is unless I have problems.

What I am REALLY curious about is how much carbon and junk is on the back sides of the valves - - - - this bone-stock engine with 1xx,xxx miles smokes a little on let-off, so I know some oil is getting past the guides.

63stl_comet

Post #117 by 63stl_comet » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:24 am

There is a guy in St. Louis that is at a lot of the car shows with an older ford with a inline six (don't know what engine) that has a tripple carb set up with turbo. Its fast as heck too, in the mid 9's i believe. And it did fairly well in the reliability and fuel milage run for our local ultimate street rod award. I can't remember if it won or not though.

Brian.

XR8240

Post #118 by XR8240 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:56 am

Out of interest what would you pay for a 4.0 sohc Ford motor ???
Or 2v 250 head??
From Aussie???
In U.S...

Linc's 200

Post #119 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:11 am

XR8240 wrote:Out of interest what would you pay for ...

Right now.....Nothing.
I have frozen all "play" expenditures until I close on a house.

I got rained out, so the next test run is going to have to wait. I did get a new digital camera that takes movie clips, so I am going to try it out. (and get some video hosted. The video capture card didn't work.)

Linc's 200

Post #120 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:54 pm

OK, the rain is gone, and today is a bright, sunny day.

I did a little testing this morning, and I found out that I did get my problems with fuel delivery solved, and it works like magic. See pics and description below.

I was hoping Temple academy dragway in Temple, TX was open Sunday nights, but I guess not. The next time will be Friday, Aug 12th. That works for me, so I'll be there.

I replaced the fuel filter thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. The inlet needle and seat are the main restriction. I added a fuel solenoid from a nitrous kit to add more fuel to the float bowl as soon as 5 psi is reached.

It works GREAT!!!

I just used 1/8" nylon oil pressure line, it is what I had lying around. You can see the fuel solenoid plumbed into the brass "T" for the fuel line, and the green arrow is where fuel comes out of the solenoid under boost. The red arrow shows the fitting where I drilled and tapped into the cover of the ol' Holley model 1946. I am not using a jet of any kind, just whatever fuel can flow through that 1/8" nylon line is what fuel is "metered" into the top of the float chamber when the solenoid opens.

Here is the fuel regulator:

It is Aeromotive. I got it really cheap on ebay (like $25?) because the idiot that listed it listed it very simply as "fuel regulator" or something, I was one of only two people bidding. It is worth much more.

There is a lot going on in the picture.
1) The orange wire is positive power to the booost switch, set at 5 psi.
2) The white wire sends power to the fuel solenoid under boost
3) The green arrow is the fuel supply to the regulator.
4) The orange arrow is fuel going to the carburetor fuel "T" where the fuel solenoid is located.
5) The red arrow is fuel return back to the 5 gallon cell.

6) The blue coiled tubing is air hose, used from the carb bonnet to the white plastic "T", where boost then goes to both the top of the regulator for boost reference, and to the small black boost switch.

One other thing I noticed today.........I re-wired my tach so I can see what my rpm's are at when it shifts....4200!!!!
NO, I AM NOT GOING TO HURT MY VALVE SPRINGS at only 4200!! Hahaha!

Dang, that means that version 1.1 isn't going to be anywhere near its potentntial when I get back to the track for the baseline runs. At 4200 rpm's, it is just getting going!! Does anyone know how to raise the shift points on a stock 1984 C5 that was behind a 3.8 CFI V-6?? If I could get the RPM's up to 5,500 beforeit shifts, that will make the car much faster. I do NOT have the vacuum modulator hooked up, since it is just a "race" car for now. (yes, that means I have to drive in first gear to and from the side street 4 blocks away to do my "test runs")

I will probably leave the trans as is, and get some baseline runs. I am expecting HUGE gains when the C4 is swapped in with the TCI Street fighter torque conveter. My buddy Joseph picked up a C4/3000 converter for his 2.3 turbo Mustang, so the race will be on who gets his done first - Hahaha! :wink:

Oh yeah, and for those who want to know, I have the Holley "Red" pump feeding directly into a Master E2182 EFI pump (from a 1986 F-150 or something? It is the frame mount one, not the in-tank one - - - and it was FREEEE!!! See "project turbo six rules" on the first page...)

Linc's 200

Post #121 by Linc's 200 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:13 pm

Sat night is almost here!

Any guesses on what it will run? Maybe I can come up with a prize to the one who guesses the closest!

Stubby
VIP Member

Post #122 by Stubby » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:25 pm

Waiting patiently. :D

PS ARE WE THERE YET?? ARE WE THERE YET?? :lol:

If I didn't have to work this weekend I would be tempted to ride down.

hasa68mustang
VIP Member

Post #123 by hasa68mustang » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:54 am

I say something will happen and you will run a "measly" 14 seconds... wait 1/8th mile again? or quarter? 14 is my quarter guess...
According to Matt our cars will be elevnty billion times faster than all of yours because our carbs flow 500cfm!!!!

73GreenMachine

Post #124 by 73GreenMachine » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:46 am

Yeah I agree with hasa68 low 14s for the quarter sound good assuming your engine is about 220hp (untuned but way more possible) Im gonna say 14.2 seconds but wheelspin all the way :D Have fun!
1973 Ford Cortina.. Aluminium Head 250 on straight LPG...240hp@5200rpm and climbing!

Linc's 200

Post #125 by Linc's 200 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:31 am

Hahahaha! Yeah, I was wondering if it will make it to the end of the 1/4 myself, my local "test and tune" section of road is only about 1/8 mile long, maybe a little less, and I was hitting around 60 MPH in the 1/8th on 8 psi. I had to fix the boost controller since I unscrewed it too far and the steel ball fell off it's seat into the fitting that goes to the wastegate. got that fixed...but haven't run it yet since fixing that.

Gerry Lutz Jr.

Post #126 by Gerry Lutz Jr. » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:29 am

i'll be the optimist here 13.8 then again the realist in me kicks in and says 14.5. I'm going to go with my 14.5 guess. Hopefully you spin lick heck or i'll be way off lol.

boston774

Post #127 by boston774 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:42 am

Hmmmmmm....

(sound of rocks grinding as he thinks)

14.3 in the low 90s.

BTW, thanks for posting the pics!

Linc's 200

Post #128 by Linc's 200 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:16 am

Cool...Interesting responses!

I don't think I'll break into the 13's - If I do I will be REALLY surprised! It is so hard to say....with the stock torque converter in the C5 trans, it launches so soft, but as it builds boost the car just keeps building speed and gets faster and faster and faster....I may MPH very well (a good way to measure HP) even if the E.T. is bad.

A friend of mine may meet me at the track and run the video camera. I am going to try to beef up the camera mount in the car so the camera doesn't vibrate too much.

I also have my new Olympus 7 MgPx digital camera, and a 64 mb chip will hold 60 seconds worth of video. I have four chips so I hope to get some nice video from the side to load onto the interent.

In order to get some lower E.T.'s, I am going to be trying lots of "Neutral slams" off of the line (Rev to 5000 and drop into gear at light change)
I tried that last time, and what I got was some slick spinnage, then they hook and the engine bogs down, then builds boost and goes again. We'll see.

I am NOT worried about grenading this trans, I have a few others and need an excuse to pull this stock one out and swap a good one in with my new "street fighter" torque converter. I guess that would become "version 1.3 or 1.4" or something.

I would like to try the fogger nozzle to help launch, But I don't want to change too many things at once. I like to work in steps to measure progress, Its more fun that way.

Linc's 200

Post #129 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:04 am

Linc's 200 wrote:I don't think I'll break into the 13's - If I do I will be REALLY surprised!

WHOOHOO!! 13.87 in the 1/4!:party:

The eighth was 8.93 with a 2.18 60 foot time, and I had to lift off of it once before the 8th because I heard detonation. THEN, I got back into it, and heard detonation again, and had to let off and coasted through the lights at 92.68 MPH.

There is LOTS left in the combo (and with a 1 bbl!!!!) I think there is 13's flat left with a good trans/converter/60 foot time and not having to lift out of it.

I have lots of details, but it is 1:10 AM and I have to be at work at 5:00 AM!!!!
:(

addo
VIP Member

Post #130 by addo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:56 am

Well done!

Linc's 200

Post #131 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:18 am

Well, I am at work but don't have the time slips with me. The first run was at 8 psi (base on wastegate) and netted a high 15 something at 85 mph with a 2.48 60 ft. It was pretty disappointing. I changed plugs and messed with the boost controller (turned it up) and ran a 16.03 at only 6 psi. I couldn't figure out why only 6 psi with the boost controller turned up?? I went back to the pits and started looking.....the 2" to 2-1/2" rubber reducer had a tear in it around 1" long.

All I had was some clear packaging tape, so I gave it around 50 turns of tape and put it back together. It felt really strong by tugging on it, so I went out on another pass.

Ooooopps.....Had the boost controller set too high (because the low boost was a result of the torn rubber coupling, not the wastegate). It went to 25 psi and I heard detonation, I let off and tried to unscrew the boost controller a turn or two very quickly, then stepped on it again, got 22 psi and detonation, let off, tried to unscrew the controller and got on it again.

That was the 8.93 in the 1/8th, 13.87 in the 1/4 run. I wish I could have stayed in it to get a good MPH ('cause this thing accelerates hard, even at the big end, under boost!)

I now have a small engine miss, I think I hurt the cast pistons with that detonation. I may have to pull the engine down, maybe swap in that spare engine I have. I am thinking I now NEED to get that other trans built w/3000 RPM street fighter torque converter so I can get some really nice launches off the line.

More upgrades/info to follow!! I have a lot of upgrades planned......

Oh yeah, I was the HERO of the track. A lot of people could tell it was a straight six because it was SOOOO smooth and didn't sound like a 4, V6 or V8. I have TONS of people come up to me and ask about .... lots of smiles and comments and fans. I promised them all to deliver more in the furture.

hasa68mustang
VIP Member

Post #132 by hasa68mustang » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:20 am

congratz... so any video/sound clips or anything???

According to Matt our cars will be elevnty billion times faster than all of yours because our carbs flow 500cfm!!!!

Linc's 200

Post #133 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:12 pm

hasa68mustang wrote:congratz... so any video/sound clips or anything???

OK, just registered at Jusspress......cross you fingers, let's see if this works:

http://jusspress.com/day.php?userid=183 ... ime=110611

It looks really dark (??) the original is much more "lighter" (sic)

There are two flashing "barricade lights" in the background (down track)

The first is the end of the 1/8 and the second is the end of the 1/4. You can hear the "Poosht" from the blow off valve really easily as I let off before the 1/8th, you can barely hear where I let off before the 1/4 and coasted.

Notice how hard the car accelerates once it hits second gear!!!!

Linc's 200

Post #134 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:28 pm

The video works...Good deal!!

Gerry Lutz Jr. wrote:i'll be the optimist here 13.8 then again the realist in me kicks in

You should have stayed optomistic!! :wink:

boston774 wrote:(sound of rocks grinding...)

That's not coming from your head,
thats what detonation sounds like at 25 psi!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hahhaha!

Compression is very low in a couple of cylinders......... :cry:

Here is the plan for "Version 1.3" :twisted: :

1) Disassemble current engine
2) Replace burnt pistons with good stock cast pistons from engine #2
3) Port head a little bit
4) Add (actually "finish") alcohol injection system
5) Reassemble and make another attempt on its life!! :D :shock:

In the Meanwhile...........

"Version 2.0" gestation begins....

1) Block honed for forged pistons, decked to .000" (main studs??)
2) forged pre-'74 "C3xx" rods NEEDED ( SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!! )
3) Fully ported head, stainless valves, head studs - carb mounting modded for 2 bbl.
4) FSPP cam, 214/214 @ .050"

Hmmm.....am I missing anything? :?:

X

Post #135 by X » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:27 pm

WHOOHOO!! 13.87 in the 1/4 <----- :shock:
Power is nothing without control

http://www.cardomain.com/id/lncognito

Linc's 200

LOOK MOM, NO DAMAGE ?!?

Post #136 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:52 pm

LOOK MOM, NO DAMAGE ?!?

Took it all apart, aside from oil EVERYWHERE (last run was pretty smoky) I don't see any carnage!! I am kind of relieved and disappointed at the same time... :wink:

There are little "pock" marks on piston #6. I labeled the photo "detonation damage" as that is all I can really relate it to. No burns or melted stuff, just all these little marks like someone got in there with a center punch!!

Here are 6 and 5

cylinders 4 and 3

Cylinders 2 and 1

Cylinder head shots:

Really, it looks like I could clean it all up, add a new head gasket and go racing again!!

I can't really see anything wrong.....the stock steel shim gasket is fine (no swapping spit between cylinders) and the oil seems to be getting into the cylinders through the pushrod area?? (??!!???)

I am going to pull the engine, clean everything up, machine parts as necessary, port the head a little, and put it all back together again.

!

addo
VIP Member

Post #137 by addo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:59 pm

Are you sure those marks in #6 aren't from a foreign body? I have seen similar from small screws.

Stubby
VIP Member

Post #138 by Stubby » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:05 pm

I want to see what the rings look like. I would think they would need extra end clearence.

Linc's 200

Post #139 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:46 pm

addo wrote:Are you sure those marks in #6 aren't from a foreign body? I have seen similar from small screws.

A friend of mine who was running a turbo Thunderbird package on a NON-turbo 2.3 liter (stock engine that came in his '86 Mustang, N/A with T-bird manifolds/turbo etc. added to it) dropped by tonight and said the stock cast pistons from his 2.3 has the same exact markings from detonation.

A screw would never leave such small marks, so perfectly round and so few. It looks like the surface of the pistons has "popped pimples"!
I can only guess the aluminum "boiled" from the heat?? Or are they "craters" from little, tiny "explosions" (like on a battle field!?!)

Linc's 200

Post #140 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:49 pm

Stubby wrote:I want to see what the rings look like. I would think they would need extra end clearence.

This engine has a LOT of miles on it. I think the rings have PLENTY of "built in" extra clearance!!

The ridge on the cylinders isn't bad, though.
#5 still has REALLY nice cross hatching. I didn't look too close at the others as it was getting dark and I needed to clean up.

Gerry Lutz Jr.

Post #141 by Gerry Lutz Jr. » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:03 pm

GReat results, nice pics, and nice video. Man that thing moves can't wait for till you put it back together with a little bit more performance this time.

If you could just get off the line a little quicker that thing would rule. I'm sure pretty soon you will be able to.

BTw i'll remember to stay more optimistic in the future g/l and i hope 2.0 or is it 3.0 now holds up great lol. I need to re read this post again......... It just go's in 1 ear and out the other lol. I think it's 2.0 though. Anyways g/l.

Linc's 200

Post #142 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:51 pm

Gerry Lutz Jr. wrote:GReat results, nice pics, and nice video. Man that thing moves can't wait for till you put it back together with a little bit more performance this time.

Thanks for the props! I try to share everything thing that happens: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

The car is fast = Good
This thing is so cobbled together = Bad
If you ever get to see the car in person = Ugly!

Gerry Lutz Jr. wrote:If you could just get off the line a little quicker that thing would rule. I'm sure pretty soon you will be able to.

I might get the chance to drop the big bell C4 trans off to be built this Friday. If that doesn't happen, then a little bitty nitrous shot will help me get launched!

Linc's 200

Post #143 by Linc's 200 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:55 pm

Oh yeah...open to suggestions why there is so much oil in cyls 1,3, 4 and 6. The plugs were wet with oil.
Plugs from cyls 2 and 5 are still dry.

At this point I am guessing it is just the head gasket, but I wasn't losing any antifreeze, and between cylinders was fine. There's just a lot of oil everywhere!!

Linc's 200

Post #144 by Linc's 200 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 am

I was just looking at this timeslip......

I lifted off the throttle once before the end of the eighth, and lifted again after....

Am I reading this right?? 85 MPH in the 1/8th??
That is moving along pretty good, Isn't it??

OK, so much for the first "successful" night of racing!!
More times to come as improvements happens.....

73GreenMachine

Post #145 by 73GreenMachine » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:37 am

If it is 85mph in the 1/8th theres heaps left in the setup because you got there real QUICK. If you didn't have detonation that would have been a wild pass. I will hazard a guess and say low 13s at over 100mph. Man thats FAST. Congratulations. Add some goodies like porting cam carb etc and you should run 12 second passes. Thats fast with style.
1973 Ford Cortina.. Aluminium Head 250 on straight LPG...240hp@5200rpm and climbing!

Linc's 200

Post #146 by Linc's 200 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:50 am

73GreenMachine wrote:If it is 85mph in the 1/8th theres heaps left in the setup because you got there real QUICK. If you didn't have detonation that would have been a wild pass.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking.

I decided to leave it 1 bbl for now, 'cause:

1) I really want to see how far I can push the 1 bbl to work.
2) My other head isn't ready (FREE machine shop work means slow!!!)

If I can get a 12.99 out of the ol' Holley 1946 that would really be something. I think I might be able to pull that off.

I play this out in my head all the time, and watch that video over and over. I think a new trans with the 3000 RPM converter is going to REALLY wake this thing up, A LOT.

Does10s
FSP Moderator

Post #147 by Does10s » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:59 am

Nice job Linc's! :beer:
When you put her back together use the thickest head gasket you can find! Or better yet give Cometic a call and order one that's about .060" thick. That'll lower your compression a bit and help with the detonation.
Where is your timing at? And what fuel are you running?

This turbo stuff is fun isn't it? :D

Later,
Will
'86 Mustang, Turbocharged, Best ET: 10.70@132.
'69 Mustang Sportsroof, 351w, auto
'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

Linc's 200

Post #148 by Linc's 200 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:12 am

Does10s wrote:
1) Nice job Linc's! :beer:
2) When you put her back together use the thickest head gasket you can find!
3) Where is your timing at?
4) And what fuel are you running?

5) This turbo stuff is fun isn't it? :D

1) Thanks!! The game isn't over, more to come!
2) I would rather have the squish area intact instead.
I am thinking of zero decking the block.
If you look at the #6 piston, and the shape of the combustion chamber, detonation occcurred ONLY where there is squish, and it is not close enough (gotta squeeze that air/fuel OUTTA THERE!)
3) Haven't touched it, so timing is wherever Ford set it at in 1982. Vac advance disconnected.
4) 100LL AvGas. It works great up to 20 psi....more than that, well.... :roll:
Before I reduce compression, timing, or change fuels, I am going to finish the alcohol injection kit I started.
5) YES, VERY FUN!!! Going to push it harder yet.

Does10s
FSP Moderator

Post #149 by Does10s » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:39 am

3) Haven't touched it, so timing is wherever Ford set it at in 1982. Vac advance disconnected.

There's your problem!

Don't let the total timing get above 27*. The factory Duraspark distributor runs about 32* total. You can pull the distributor apart and modify the mechanical adv. so the total timing swing is only about 10*. Set initial at 17* then let her rip!
Either that or buy a bunch of MSD boxes and retard the timing that way.

No matter what, if you don't pull timing out you will always have detonation problems. Even with methenol/water injection.
Later,
Will
'86 Mustang, Turbocharged, Best ET: 10.70@132.
'69 Mustang Sportsroof, 351w, auto
'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

Old_Dad

Post #150 by Old_Dad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:49 pm

You could easy have a cracked piston or something along those lines. I've seen that sort of thing before. Fairly recently even. I know before I rebuilt mine when I was looking in there everything looked pretty ok with the exception of really poor compression on a couple of holes.

Return to “performance tech”