Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sat night is almost here!

Any guesses on what it will run? Maybe I can come up with a prize to the one who guesses the closest!

Waiting patiently. :D

PS ARE WE THERE YET?? ARE WE THERE YET?? :LOL:

If I didn't have to work this weekend I would be tempted to ride down.

I say something will happen and you will run a "measly" 14 seconds... wait 1/8th mile again? or quarter? 14 is my quarter guess...

Yeah I agree with hasa68 low 14s for the quarter sound good assuming your engine is about 220hp (untuned but way more possible) Im gonna say 14.2 seconds but wheelspin all the way :D Have fun!

Hahahaha! Yeah, I was wondering if it will make it to the end of the 1/4 myself, my local "test and tune" section of road is only about 1/8 mile long, maybe a little less, and I was hitting around 60 MPH in the 1/8th on 8 psi. I had to fix the boost controller since I unscrewed it too far and the steel ball fell off it's seat into the fitting that goes to the wastegate. got that fixed...but haven't run it yet since fixing that.

i'll be the optimist here 13.8 then again the realist in me kicks in and says 14.5. I'm going to go with my 14.5 guess. Hopefully you spin lick heck or i'll be way off lol.

Cool...Interesting responses!

I don't think I'll break into the 13's - If I do I will be REALLY surprised! It is so hard to say....with the stock torque converter in the C5 trans, it launches so soft, but as it builds boost the car just keeps building speed and gets faster and faster and faster....I may MPH very well (a good way to measure HP) even if the E.T. is bad.

A friend of mine may meet me at the track and run the video camera. I am going to try to beef up the camera mount in the car so the camera doesn't vibrate too much.

I also have my new Olympus 7 MgPx digital camera, and a 64 mb chip will hold 60 seconds worth of video. I have four chips so I hope to get some nice video from the side to load onto the interent.

In order to get some lower E.T.'s, I am going to be trying lots of "Neutral slams" off of the line (Rev to 5000 and drop into gear at light change)
I tried that last time, and what I got was some slick spinnage, then they hook and the engine bogs down, then builds boost and goes again. We'll see.

I am NOT worried about grenading this trans, I have a few others and need an excuse to pull this stock one out and swap a good one in with my new "street fighter" torque converter. I guess that would become "version 1.3 or 1.4" or something.

I would like to try the fogger nozzle to help launch, But I don't want to change too many things at once. I like to work in steps to measure progress, Its more fun that way.

Linc's 200":1zcvltt9 said:
I don't think I'll break into the 13's - If I do I will be REALLY surprised!

WHOOHOO!! 13.87 in the 1/4!:party:

The eighth was 8.93 with a 2.18 60 foot time, and I had to lift off of it once before the 8th because I heard detonation. THEN, I got back into it, and heard detonation again, and had to let off and coasted through the lights at 92.68 MPH.

There is LOTS left in the combo (and with a 1 bbl!!!!) I think there is 13's flat left with a good trans/converter/60 foot time and not having to lift out of it.

I have lots of details, but it is 1:10 AM and I have to be at work at 5:00 AM!!!!
:(

Well, I am at work but don't have the time slips with me. The first run was at 8 psi (base on wastegate) and netted a high 15 something at 85 mph with a 2.48 60 ft. It was pretty disappointing. I changed plugs and messed with the boost controller (turned it up) and ran a 16.03 at only 6 psi. I couldn't figure out why only 6 psi with the boost controller turned up?? I went back to the pits and started looking.....the 2" to 2-1/2" rubber reducer had a tear in it around 1" long.

All I had was some clear packaging tape, so I gave it around 50 turns of tape and put it back together. It felt really strong by tugging on it, so I went out on another pass.

Ooooopps.....Had the boost controller set too high (because the low boost was a result of the torn rubber coupling, not the wastegate). It went to 25 psi and I heard detonation, I let off and tried to unscrew the boost controller a turn or two very quickly, then stepped on it again, got 22 psi and detonation, let off, tried to unscrew the controller and got on it again.

That was the 8.93 in the 1/8th, 13.87 in the 1/4 run. I wish I could have stayed in it to get a good MPH ('cause this thing accelerates hard, even at the big end, under boost!)

I now have a small engine miss, I think I hurt the cast pistons with that detonation. I may have to pull the engine down, maybe swap in that spare engine I have. I am thinking I now NEED to get that other trans built w/3000 RPM street fighter torque converter so I can get some really nice launches off the line.

More upgrades/info to follow!! I have a lot of upgrades planned......

Oh yeah, I was the HERO of the track. A lot of people could tell it was a straight six because it was SOOOO smooth and didn't sound like a 4, V6 or V8. I have TONS of people come up to me and ask about .... lots of smiles and comments and fans. I promised them all to deliver more in the furture.

hasa68mustang":2ckph6qd said:
congratz... so any video/sound clips or anything???

OK, just registered at Jusspress......cross you fingers, let's see if this works:

http://jusspress.com/day.php?userid=183 ... ime=110611

It looks really dark (??) the original is much more "lighter" (sic)

There are two flashing "barricade lights" in the background (down track)

The first is the end of the 1/8 and the second is the end of the 1/4. You can hear the "Poosht" from the blow off valve really easily as I let off before the 1/8th, you can barely hear where I let off before the 1/4 and coasted.

Notice how hard the car accelerates once it hits second gear!!!!

The video works...Good deal!!

Gerry Lutz Jr.":37gna995 said:
i'll be the optimist here 13.8 then again the realist in me kicks in

You should have stayed optomistic!! ;)

boston774":37gna995 said:
(sound of rocks grinding...)

That's not coming from your head,
thats what detonation sounds like at 25 psi!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hahhaha!

Compression is very low in a couple of cylinders......... :cry:

Here is the plan for "Version 1.3" :eek: :

1) Disassemble current engine
2) Replace burnt pistons with good stock cast pistons from engine #2
3) Port head a little bit
4) Add (actually "finish") alcohol injection system
5) Reassemble and make another attempt on its life!! :D :shock:

In the Meanwhile...........

"Version 2.0" gestation begins....

1) Block honed for forged pistons, decked to .000" (main studs??)
2) forged pre-'74 "C3xx" rods NEEDED ( SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!! )
3) Fully ported head, stainless valves, head studs - carb mounting modded for 2 bbl.
4) FSPP cam, 214/214 @ .050"

Hmmm.....am I missing anything? :unsure::

LOOK MOM, NO DAMAGE ?!?

Took it all apart, aside from oil EVERYWHERE (last run was pretty smoky) I don't see any carnage!! I am kind of relieved and disappointed at the same time... ;)

There are little "pock" marks on piston #6. I labeled the photo "detonation damage" as that is all I can really relate it to. No burns or melted stuff, just all these little marks like someone got in there with a center punch!!

detonationdamagecrop.jpg

Here are 6 and 5

6and5crop.jpg

cylinders 4 and 3

4and3crop.jpg

Cylinders 2 and 1

2and1crop.jpg

Cylinder head shots:

6.jpg

3.jpg

Really, it looks like I could clean it all up, add a new head gasket and go racing again!!

I can't really see anything wrong.....the stock steel shim gasket is fine (no swapping spit between cylinders) and the oil seems to be getting into the cylinders through the pushrod area?? (??!!???)

I am going to pull the engine, clean everything up, machine parts as necessary, port the head a little, and put it all back together again.

!

Are you sure those marks in #6 aren't from a foreign body? I have seen similar from small screws.

addo":1ckis1oi said:
Are you sure those marks in #6 aren't from a foreign body? I have seen similar from small screws.

A friend of mine who was running a turbo Thunderbird package on a NON-turbo 2.3 liter (stock engine that came in his '86 Mustang, N/A with T-bird manifolds/turbo etc. added to it) dropped by tonight and said the stock cast pistons from his 2.3 has the same exact markings from detonation.

A screw would never leave such small marks, so perfectly round and so few. It looks like the surface of the pistons has "popped pimples"!
I can only guess the aluminum "boiled" from the heat?? Or are they "craters" from little, tiny "explosions" (like on a battle field!?!)

Stubby":v1n8s8nb said:
I want to see what the rings look like. I would think they would need extra end clearence.

This engine has a LOT of miles on it. I think the rings have PLENTY of "built in" extra clearance!!

The ridge on the cylinders isn't bad, though.
#5 still has REALLY nice cross hatching. I didn't look too close at the others as it was getting dark and I needed to clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back