Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old_Dad":76h3kw7h said:
as far as I'm concerned is you're taking the fun out of driving your car

When your car is doing 85 mph in the 1/8th mile like mine, things are happening so fast you won't have time to think of shifting.

One note about auto trannies in turbo cars.
Turbo cars LOVE automatics.
You build boost off the line without a 2 step.
You hold boost the entire run, no lifting for shifts... if you have a lenco... shhh ;)

I have been building turbo cars since 90ish.
Mostly 2.3 fords, a few others for friends tho.
I hadnt really concidered the smaller ford inline engines... but they are now on my "interested" list... next to the 300 and 3.8... altho the 3.8 isnt high on the list due to the head gasket issues.

My hat is off to all you guys taking the road less traveled.
Now... back to scheming on the 351 twin turbo 84 bird. :D

Jim

FoMoGo":3ppmgys5 said:
One note about auto trannies in turbo cars.
Turbo cars LOVE automatics......You hold boost the entire run, no lifting for shifts...

The 1-2 shift in my car, if not so soft, would be sheer evil.

As soon as second gear grabs and the motor lugs down, it feels like torque doubles!!

Linc's 200":15ri4955 said:
The 1-2 shift in my car, if not so soft, would be sheer evil.

As soon as second gear grabs and the motor lugs down, it feels like torque doubles!!
It drops the engine down into the tq peak... and the pull from tq peak to power peak is a fun ride. ;)

Jim

hee hee.. camel.. thats what I get for being the great typist that I am.

FoMoGo, I have seen the 351 TT in a t bird before, can't find the link, but the thing was FAST..

yah. get back to the track already and give us some times. ;)

Funky Cricket":19tde2hd said:
yah. get back to the track already and give us some times. ;)

Got it together (THNX to the help from friend Joe Fuqua) and ran Saturday night with alcohol injection, I had too much timing but still pulled off a 14.25 @ 98 MPH!!!!!!!! (2.40 second 60' time)

I was trying to dial in the combo when the 100 psi Shur-Flo pump popped a line.....more to come later..... Trying to run big numbers on pump gas with alcohol injection

Now what did that old sticker used to say..."I rather eat worms than drive an automatic!" Have a good one.

Kirk ' 73 bronco
ps. still, waiting on the head rebuild

enough with the automatics already.... I'd like to keep personal opinions like that out of my thread, if you don't mind.

According to online calculators,
my 98 MPH trap speed is good for a little over 250 RWHP,
and around 300 FWHP.

Boy howdy, get that thing back to the track as much as you can...and let us know the progress. Good to see you finally got it back runnin! How much boost are you safely runnin on Alky by chance?
Matt

I leave for Siberia in five days, and I won't be back to the track until after I come back and build the new trans and 3000 converter combo and swap it in.

yes, those were both of the links that I was thinking of. specifically the budget one.

14! come on.. get that lauch better!!! heheh.. j/k. man. what are we gunna do with no updates.. guess i will just stop reading the internet.. nothing good on it now.. :p

still a great time though. what boost were you at?

I was up to 18 psi on pump gas, spraying a fair amount of alcohol and detonating a little bit. I took some timing out and went back to the line, and when I did my burnout the pressure side on the alcohol pump split a hose.

Next time..........

Funky Cricket":1vj88ht4 said:
14! come on.. get that lauch better!!!

Yeah, a better 60 foot alone wouldv've made it a 13 second run.....

You guys are getting greedy on me! ;)

Great thread! I'm learning a lot here.

I'm planning to to do a turbo for my car. Street driving, not dragging though. I sure won't need to go so far with my set up but this info is wonderful.

My engine is a stock, 42K mile '66 200, T5 tranny and a 7.25 rear that will be replaced by an 8". Plan to use a 250 head to drop the compression and for the better breathing, and a Motorcraft 2100.

I'm looking to run with the V8s without getting nuts about the boost. I'm just now starting my research.

IMO, any critisism on this thread is really just unnecessary. Im obviously not a moderator, just a spectator. Alot of hours of work, and tons-o-parts.

Things take time to make the right combo, but by spring I see him in the 11s easily.

I haven't had too much criticism (that I have noticed) since I started running 13's!! - - - and trapping 98 MPH!

2tonfalcon":3va719x7 said:
Things take time to make the right combo, but by spring I see him in the 11s easily.

WOW! that's optimistic!! Thanks! :D

I have only been to the track twice ( I don't count the first time out since I couldn't even make it to the end of the 1/8th mile that trip!!!! ) and I think I would make more progress if I could get the time to go play more often, but oh well......

I leave for Siberia TOMORROW!! I get back Oct 2nd. As soon as I get back I'll get the C4 finished and swapped in with the 3000 RPM converter, and hope to make some good runs with it before the track closes for the year. If I get low 13's I will be ECSTATIC.

If I manage to hit 12.99 - - - - from a stock 200 - - - - with a 1 bbl carb
- - - - I'll be doing backflips down the dragstrip!!!

I'll take this winter to build a forged bottom end shortblock ( 'cept the crank )
and then have it ready when (or IF!) the stock 200 expires.

Good luck on your trip!

And bring us some Ukranian babes!

Ill take the tall one with long hair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back