Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
2tonfalcon":37k0fesg said:
1) half on my chest to balance it to the bolt holes. When I breathed, it would align more properly. Hilarious ghetto mechanic tactics.

2) T5....why havent you considered that?

3) Whats your differential in the rear? Just curious, IMO 4:10's or higher would make that sucker move, and less boiling of the tires out of the hole. Tune her up so she redlines in the last gear at the end of the 1/4.

1) That is exactly how I do the TREMEC 3550 in my 5.0 Ranger!!
All 130 lbs worth :cry:

2) F the T-5, I can't find one that hasn't been torn up.
I have another TREMEC 3550 as a spare I can use, it is good for 600+ HP!

3) I have 3.73's in a 8.8" Trac-Loc rear. Tires would boil MORE with 4.10's.
I am almost already at redline at the end of the 1/4 with 3.73's and 27" tires.

As I get faster at the near end I'll be sure to reach redline by the far end.

Don't need a T-5, the car will be faster through the 1/4 as an automatic.

When (If) I do a turbo street car, it will be manual trans.
I like to "row my own" on the street
.....and hear the BOV go "PSSSSHHHHTTT" between gears on boost!!

WHOOHOO! The trans and converter works - big difference!! (I am actually surprised - I never rebuilt a C4 before)

Actually, I didn't get to shift into third since my little "test road" isn't very long, and I needed to get back to the house quick before the cops showed up (I was running with the first section of down pipe only :LOL: It is about 20" long - LOUD!!)

I started it up - - - made sure it was pumping fluid, shifted into first and reverse - both worked well - - looked it over again - - closed the hood and went for a little test drive. The converter is pretty tight behind a little 200 - maybe only stalls to 2500 but still helps it move mucho bueno.

Tomorrow after work, I will install the rest of the downpipe (much quieter!!) and do a little more test-n-tune before loading it onto the trailer to get ready for Saturday night!!

OK, a little "test-n-tune" today, but not time for too much..

I don't have enough foot brake to bring this thing to full stall.
I can pull the e-brake handle and stand on the brakes, and get it to 5 psi boost around 2800 RPM....

I practiced a few launches - I can foot brake to 1700 RPM and let off the brakes and stab the throttle and I am at 3000 RPM and boosting within 20 feet!!

If I had a transbrake like Will and Kelly (does10s) this thing would REALLY launch. For now I'll try it like it is and see what happens.

Hey Linc's,
Kelly doesn't have a transbrake. It's just a manual valvebody.
She pushes the brake as hard as she can and leaves at 2500rpm. She does have a two step so she's able to plant the accelerator pedal and hold the brake.
I'm actually going to lower the launch RPM a bit because 2500rpm is her max. torque according to the one dyno pull we did.
The reason we're currently at 2500rpm is she can't hold the car back at anything greater! :D
And you're exactly right. She's shows around 5psi on the starting line!
Later,
Will

Does10s":1mn05018 said:
Kelly doesn't have a transbrake.

My bad.

Would be fun if we had 'em, though.

I don't have enough brake to hold at 2500 without the e-brake on.....but it seems if I try to adjust the wheel adjusters tighter in the rear, then they DRAG. Bummer. Maybe the master cylinder is junk.

Lincs

HAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthday HAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthdayHAPPY BIRTHDAY happy birthday

Now I want you to think of the finest woman you met up there, go to the line, and run you a 12.6, YEA, 12.6.

If not, its a good enough birthday present to make the engine in advance so you can run it today on your b day.

sixty-2-tonfalcon":24ioryhh said:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAYHAPPY BIRTHDAY

Thank you!

I was doing some test and tune again yesterday,
If I advance the timing a little more I can get a stronger launch, but get detonation later. The stock distributor still has all the advance weights the way it left the factory, so today I am going to get inside and put some limits on the amount of centrifugal advance so I can add more initial advance.

so after that, this engine would be version what ? 1.2 or 1.3 or 1.4 or so ? I forgot, but it is still basicly a stock engine.

Also I am getting some interesting clunks from the rear suspension, so I am going to crawl under and see what is happening there. Then that's about it. I should be ready to head to the track.

OH yeah, one other mod - - - I removed the passenger side head lights and ran a piece of aluminum clothes dryer duct from the front of the grill (where the headlights were) to straight to the compressor inlet. A guy on turbomustangs ( dave @majestic ) picked up 40 HP by getting rid of the "cone filter" on the turbo inlet and running a piece of this duct to the front og the car (while on a chassis dyno) also, he had twins on it.

All in all, the car feels great, is running well (but LOTS of BLOWBY!) and shifts great. I would have put in new rings while I had it apart but no parts houses in town had std 200 rings in stock. So in went the old ones again.

I am thinking big changes for a winter project (new engine).

I have :

1) Forged pistons

2) These rods:
85_1_b.JPG

3) Ported head

4) direct mount 2 bbl

5) FSPP cam, 214*/214* @ .050"

6) also try to make a new exhaust turbo header,

then sell the log manifold and holley 1 bbl with hat.

I ekpt waiting for the current engine to go boom, but it never happened. Broke two pistons, but even that wasn't a huge failure, as it didn't damage anything else.

I am curious to see how much stronger a newer, fresher engine with more mods will be.

I am also thinking I will just go ahead and swap the new engine into the black '82 I have. I can leave this car (silver '84) a runner until that one is ready for the intercooler and other pieces that need to be carried over from this car.

Figure out a way to put a fine screen in the inlet without it getting sucked in to the turbo. Maybe wrap it around at the end point, and then clamp it on with the overlay being the clampable area.

Ive heard horror stories, and I personally had one with the non cone KN and dryer tubing. Almost hydraulic-ed. Road debris wouldnt be pretty.

I would only have it connected at the strip, obviously.

sixty-2-tonfalcon":27lrug3v said:
Ill guess your birthday present is 12.7

I wish it would have happened.....

Best I got was a 13.58 at 102.5

13.jpg

I did not DARE to do "neutral slams" on my new transmission, so I foot braked it to 1700 (most I can hold with just the foot brake) and stabbed the gas when the light changed, Still suffering from bad 60 foot times, this one was 2.37

I was out of the gate, and it built boost and was GONE!! This run was feeling FAST!!
Shifting at 5500, I was in second gear in no time, and it semed like just a second or two later, 5500 was here again, so I shifted into 3rd.

It pulled really hard back to 5500 - - - - - and just stayed there. No climb, no fall. 5500 RPM for probably the last 4 seconds of the run!!!!

I still squeezed a 8.90 in the 1/8th at 85.45, and a 13.57 at 102.56

I am remembering what silver82GT said:

silver82GT":27lrug3v said:
I was comparing your posted time slip to a few of my mid 12 sec ones. You were running about 7 mph faster @ the 1/8 but .6 sec slower et. Once you get the trans/launch worked out I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid 12 out of that car.

So........NOW I ahve some more problems to work out!!
The engine is using oil - - BAD!!!
The smoke is horrendous, and it used a quart of oil in THREE 1/4 mile RUNS!!!!
That's terrible!!

That is leading to some bad pinging I am getting - - I can't make it go away, even if I turn it down to 8-10 psi. The oil problem is going to hurt me permanently until that is fixed.

I need to take a poll:

TELL ME IF I SHOULD:

1) Fix the engine again, using good available stock parts.
"You still haven't got it to it's max potential!"

2) "Forget it - You are beating a dead horse....
It's time for a whole new new package!"

My friend Joe thinks I am needing to fix the engine and keep it stock to find out what is still left in it. I am undecided.

Later....
Linc

Linc's 200":2ab3rn52 said:
5500 RPM for probably the last 4 seconds of the run!!!!

I forgot to add to this a little more......

I am hitting a wall, there. I don't know if it is turbo related, or due to my single 1.125" venturi!!!!!!

Now that I have a trans that will shift better, I can take it up in the RPM range, but 5500 is all she wrote. It gets there quick and stays there.

I am beginning to think that this is as far as this combo will go. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, (like a 50 shot of nitrous off of the line to get my 60' times down to a more palatable level !!!) and that just might net me a 12.99......

I'll think things over and see if I can come up with some other ideas ..... shy of swapping a 2 bbl carb on. I am thinking once that happens, this thing will be able to breath, and then it will REALLY fly!

The reaction of people to my car at the track is INSANE! People can't BELIEVE it is a 200 cube, 3.3 liter straight six!
It is so crazy!!
One dude with a nice, newwer model silver Trans Am was running 13.6's and he was SO PISSED when he found out I am faster than him!! (we didn't run together, just from visiting) I told him I only have around $1000 total in my car, with a bone stock engine and a John Deere tractor turbo. That made him even more mad.

Some guy with a MASSIVELY tubbed out El Camino blew up his engine doing his burnout. My friend Joe was standing next to me and said:
"That's why we don't play with big blocks"
:LOL: HAHAHA!!!!

I think you are already close to the limit of the stock engine. if you weren't they would be lasting longer than one or two trips to the strip. it would be interesting to see what holes are letting go this time (1 and 6 maybe?) maybe it is time for a little cam in that motor? I know the stocker doesn't have much at all up top..

Good stuff. What was the boost pressure doing at 5500? If your venturi was the limiting factor, mightn't it build pressure up to where the BOV was open more?

The oil might have been quenching things a little too!

I have two boost gauges, one before the venturi (in the hat) and one after (manifold) I didn't get the chance to see what each was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back