4.1L 'Sprint' Pontiac

A

Anonymous

I've been looking for a '69 'sprint' OHC Firebird for my dad for a few years now... does anyone know the best place to start searching for one of these 6's? Seems like most of them have been swapped out for 400's, but surely not all gone!

Thanks, Jack. I hadn't come across that forum as of yet. Unfortunately, I had one of these in my sights a year ago, but ran out of funding prematurely... it would be nice to make up for that loss.

I used to have a Tempest with the OHC inline. It also had its own Transmision Air cooled 200 Turbine 2 sp auto. That car was alot of fun.

As the story goes, my Dad used to 'push' his 3 year old firebird a little too far, drag racing, etc. When the syncros went, he pulled the tranny and started to tinker on the kitchen table of my parents' one bedroom apartment until my mom made him trade the whole lot for a 70 Monte Carlo (family car). It sounded like a basket case, if you ask me. He lost a control arm driving through a pass in Montana and skidded on the frame to a gentle stop - had a rust problem in the trunk, and a dead tranny after only 3 years... Could explain why it's so hard to find another.

I thought this might be of some help. No cars there though. I sort of dissagree with his statement about the Z bars for the manual transmision. Yes they are different (longer) than a V8. But I have had several GM sixes and most have the mateing ball of the zbar mounted on a bracket creating the extra length need for a V8 Z bar. Probably just a typical General motors cost cutting procedure.

http://www.firstgenfirebird.org/firebir ... e/OHC.html

I've been looking in that forum as well... I'll have to be patient for this one, I think. Something will turn up, eventually.

There's a firebird parts dealer back home - could probably Frankenstein together what I'm looking for if need be.

Come on over to the board; at this time, there are a few cars for sale. If not, one of our guys will point you in the right direction.

These engines came in 230 and 250 cu.in., and I had a 250 years ago, but a friend bought it off me before I got a car to put it in (I was after a '50-52 Chev or Pontiac sedan delivery). Very cool engine, albeit rather heavy for its displacement, with good cast iron headers.

Two subjects that OHC site surely covers: First, the cammer six had a metallurgical incompatibility between its camshaft and lifters, and would wipe a cam lobe in short order if not broken in very carefully. I assume the aftermarket has resolved this, or else it could be addressed with cam treatments or coatings or particular break-in lubes. Second, it was observed that the Chev 292 crank could be adapted to the cammer if you needed low-down torque.

Hope you find your motor.

Back