Tornado/Torino OHC Six specs

xafalcongs

I've been looking for specs on the Tornado and later Torino 230ci OHC motors that were built and sold in both US and Argentina. I'd like to know what changes were made when the engine was renamed "Torino". Is the Torino motor more or less oil leak prone? Also, what is the deck hieght, bore spacing, valve sizes, etc.,.... Did anyone conver the engine to a 12 lobe camshaft or did the TC racers continue to run a six lobe cam? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--J

See http://www.torosite.com.ar/originalesfotos2.html

The engine is h-u-g-e, but very adavanced. About 40 years ahead of the 1988 Ford Falcon OHC made in Australia, the IKA engine had cross flow head, good intake , good ehast, the lot!

9.gif

They are putting them on gas, adding a turbo, just like the Aussies.

13.gif

25.gif

It is Continental based in the block dimensions, so is as tall as a Jaguar engine, about 11 inches from the crank to the head gasket. Cams remained 6 lobe, so no dual pattern timing.

5.gif

The main advances were on much better manifolding triple carbs or a big Carter 4-bbl or two Carter 2-bbls) and better main seal oil leak control...always a week point on the Kaiser Six.

60.gif

The GR and GS versions had triple DCOE 45 Webers with 35 mm chokes, and 215 to 220 hp. Over bored versiosn could go to 240 cubes, and get 248 hp. The long storke version of the IKA engine won't rev past 5400 rpm without breaking things.

By the time it was sold as the Renault Torino, most of the poblems were sorted. Only issue is that the engine is no Jag at half the price..the crank is a long stroker, and its better to make big power and torque below 4500 rpm. Best part of it was its ZF gearbox, nigh on bullet proof. Even though it was 3800 pounds all up, it could do 124 to 130 mph.

xecute®™© he he":28rsi3sf said:
See http://www.torosite.com.ar/originalesfotos2.html

The engine is h-u-g-e, but very adavanced. About 40 years ahead of the 1988 Ford Falcon OHC made in Australia, the IKA engine had cross flow head, good intake , good ehast, the lot!

They are putting them on gas, adding a turbo, just like the Aussies.

It is Continental based in the block dimensions, so is as tall as a Jaguar engine, about 11 inches from the crank to the head gasket. Cams remained 6 lobe, so no dual pattern timing.

The main advances were on much better manifolding triple carbs or a big Carter 4-bbl or two Carter 2-bbls) and better main seal oil leak control...always a week point on the Kaiser Six.

The GR and GS versions had triple DCOE 45 Webers with 35 mm chokes, and 215 to 220 hp. Over bored versiosn could go to 240 cubes, and get 248 hp. The long storke version of the IKA engine won't rev past 5400 rpm without breaking things.

By the time it was sold as the Renault Torino, most of the poblems were sorted. Only issue is that the engine is no Jag at half the price..the crank is a long stroker, and its better to make big power and torque below 4500 rpm. Best part of it was its ZF gearbox, nigh on bullet proof. Even though it was 3800 pounds all up, it could do 124 to 130 mph.

Yep, I found that site. I'm a little familiar with these engines because they were used up here in 4x4 Jeeps and Military trucks for many years. Problem is that I can never seem to find tech manuals on them. Also, I was really wanting to find out exactly what changes were made between the two motors.

Funny thing, looking through the pics on that site, I found pics in the shop manual of the Torino car shell. Once you strip off the the front sheetmetal, the car still looks like a Rambler.

Thanks.

--J

Log onto the following site. You'll have to register, (takes about 5 min). Go into the manuals section. You'll find everything you want to know about this engine, (the US version).

The Torino is a vastly improved engine. In addition to the improvements already noted, the Torino also has 7 main bearings.

http://www.m715zone.com/

Hemiman":31b1sxc8 said:
Log onto the following site. You'll have to register, (takes about 5 min). Go into the manuals section. You'll find everything you want to know about this engine, (the US version).

The Torino is a vastly improved engine. In addition to the improvements already noted, the Torino also has 7 main bearings.

http://www.m715zone.com/
Thanks Hemiman. Still looking for similar info on the Torino version.

--J

Back